Torsen quattro and braking

Matt82

Reaction score
i was thinking about this the other day. what happens when you brake, a wheel or two locks up on the same "axle", that happens to the torsen diff? does everything wind up in the centre box and lock the rears too?

if it is one whel then nothing as side to side it is an "open" diff.
I lost ABS and used to lock up one rear regularly, not sure what would happen if both rears locked up, I woul dimagine you are bound to get some wind up in that case unless the centre diff can account for that

The centre diff isnt locked its open most of the time, but i'm not sure if a torsen would even begin to lock up in the situation that you describe.

ABS would stop any axle staying "locked" long enough to damage the box anyway i would imagine? Although saying that the old UR Quattros had a switch to disable the ABS...

jcb: i read somewhere that the ABS controller handles the rear brake bias, which might explain the rear lockups with it broken, not quite sure how it does it though...

don't know either but it is highly amusing coming into a roundabout sideways! caught me quite by surprise the first time.
Next time was just for fun