Too much "play" when selecting gears

DarkBunny

Reaction score
As above really, the box is good and solid, but I've got about 3/4 of an inch of forward/backward movement and maybe 1/2/ inch left/right movement with my gear lever when it's in gear...

Want to to be crisp again, could it just be worn selector (it's done 70k miles)?

Advice, fixes and/or upgrade suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Luke

Depends what power your running etc if it's worth going for an uprated box ,

Check the shifter assembly on top of the gearbox! I had the exact same issue, replaced the shifter and side-to-side bracket which fixed the problem completely. Also fitted the 42dd solid shifter bushings (as you can see in the photo) which tightened things up even more, highly recommend that mod!

Worn out grooves in the hole (circled in red) will mostly cause play in the front to back movement, the plastic sliding shoe (blue) causes side-to-side play if worn...
IMG 1776 123

Reactions: HHS3, martinivw, DarkBunny and 1 other person
Well, just thought I'd update...

I purchased a new shifter assembly and had it fitted by my local indy this morning. Wow - what a difference this simple (and cheap) new piece of metal makes!

The play in the lever is now pretty much gone and the gear changes feel smooth (rather than aiming for a corner and hoping for the best!).

So, thanks to @Audiabc7 for the advice, and of course thanks to @mjr901 for supplying the new part

:yahoo:

Reactions: Audiabc7
Well, just thought I'd update...

I purchased a new shifter assembly and had it fitted by my local indy this morning. Wow - what a difference this simple (and cheap) new piece of metal makes!

The play in the lever is now pretty much gone and the gear changes feel smooth (rather than aiming for a corner and hoping for the best!).

So, thanks to @Audiabc7 for the advice, and of course thanks to @mjr901 for supplying the new part

:yahoo:

What was the part and fit cost mate?

What was the part and fit cost mate?
The part cost me £36 delivered (I think), and only £20 to fit via my local...

Guess the fitting price may vary, dependent on how friendly you are with them! My motor has done 71k now, and to fair it was crap (but I only realised how bad it was once it was replaced).

For nearly £60, it's well worth the effort. HTH

Reactions: tonydata
Check the shifter assembly on top of the gearbox! I had the exact same issue, replaced the shifter and side-to-side bracket which fixed the problem completely. Also fitted the 42dd solid shifter bushings (as you can see in the photo) which tightened things up even more, highly recommend that mod!

Worn out grooves in the hole (circled in red) will mostly cause play in the front to back movement, the plastic sliding shoe (blue) causes side-to-side play if worn...
View attachment 78438

How easy is it get into this and change it yourself? Something I'd quite like to do actually.

Got a link to the parts please?

Did you get a new standard one or did you go for short shifter?

How easy is it get into this and change it yourself? Something I'd quite like to do actually.

Got a link to the parts please?
It is pretty straight forward if you have some basic mechanical skills, although the 42dd bushings are a bit fiddly to install (involves modifying the plastic side to side bracket). Removing the battery shelf and intake/airbox gives a lot more room to work so highly recommend that.

This is the guide I used when fitting the bushings, if you're replacing the shifter it's just the nut on top of it :)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-(Review-and-Install)-S3-TT-S-Shifter-content

Here's a great guide for just the shifter:

I ordered the bushings from awesome GTI and the shifter/side to side bracket from my audi dealer. There are a few different bushings available depending on model year etc. so make sure you get the right ones.

Reactions: tonydata and scotty dugg
What part number is it for the bushes? Going to order some but want to get the rights ones lol. I've got a 2008 s3 pre FL so will the code be 42-455-005?

What part number is it for the bushes? Going to order some but want to get the rights ones lol. I've got a 2008 s3 pre FL so will the code be 42-455-005?
Depends on what kind of shifter and bracket you have, mine is also 2008 and I have the plastic bracket as seen in the photo above. Can't say if it's the same on yours so make sure to check it before ordering. I ordered the part number 42-455-009 which were the right ones for mine, it also includes a drill bit used for modifying the plastic side to side bracket :)

Also, The correct torque spec for the nut on top of the shifter is 23 Nm / 17 ft lbs, I just used the "nice and tight" method the first time and it came loose quite fast, so make sure to torque it properly!

Thanks for the update. I've spoken to Awesome GTI and 4dd direct. Both have given me different codes for the bushes. GTI suggested the 009 ones whilst 4dd suggested the 007 ones. Gonna check the side shifter to see if it's plastic or metal before I'm confident in ordering. Only managed to see the bottom shifter so could only clarify it was a rectangular link

Checked and I've got the plastic side selector so I'll be ordering the 009 bushes. Since you have to modify the shifter did you have to got through the alignment process with the gear stick?

Checked and I've got the plastic side selector so I'll be ordering the 009 bushes. Since you have to modify the shifter did you have to got through the alignment process with the gear stick?
Yeah I did the alignment, it's pretty much necessary if removing the endlinks from the linkage cables, plus it's really simple to do :) Worth checking every gear a few times in different shift patterns just to get it perfect before putting everything back together.

Cheers for that. I've ordered the parts from GTI this morning so hopefully they'll come in time for me to do the job on my rest days next week.

Reactions: Audiabc7
Mine's feels like this pretty much since I got the car approx 8 months ago.

When I get a uprated clutch I will look at fixing the issue....