Tints vs Privacy Glass

chrisb72

Reaction score
I have recently had tints fitted to my S3 Sportback as the previous owner hadn't fitted Privacy glass and I found it really useful on my 8P A3 2.0T when travelling with the kids in the back. I'd never had any windows tinted before and wasn't quite sure what to expect, but thought it would be better than having aftermarket blinds on the rear windows.

The overall effect looks good especially the side rear windows, but I'm still trying to get used to the rear window as while driving at night I am getting a fair about of glare coming from light hitting the heated element. This I have been told is due to the tinted film being slightly reflective and it's making the element strips shinier than normal. Has anyone had any issues with tints?

I'm going to try and live with it for now, but wondered if I could replace just the rear screen using my glass insurance and get the glass company to fit Privacy glass instead of standard glass? Do you think they'll do this if they know I haven't had Privacy glass fitted as standard? I'm assuming there is no extra cost for rear screens compared to windscreens?

but wondered if I could replace just the rear screen using my glass insurance and get the glass company to fit Privacy glass instead of standard glass? Do you think they'll do this if they know I haven't had Privacy glass fitted as standard?

Interested in how you would ask them to do that!

Interested in how you would ask them to do that!
Assuming windscreen insurance covers all glass for your car without affecting your NCB, I was thinking along the lines of saying I need a replacement rear window and getting them to change it for Privacy rather than Standard. I just pay the excess which is £75 with my policy, but judging by your reaction maybe this isn't as simple as I thought?!

Did you accidentally miss out the bit where you intentionally damage the rear screen, fraudulently claim on your insurance and incrementally add to everyone's insurance premium?

Assuming windscreen insurance covers all glass for your car without affecting your NCB, I was thinking along the lines of saying I need a replacement rear window and getting them to change it for Privacy rather than Standard. I just pay the excess which is £75 with my policy, but judging by your reaction maybe this isn't as simple as I thought?!
Never came across it before where you just ask for a replacement for aesthetic value, normally it's done because it's damaged...that's what threw me :)

Reactions: thewrongspeed
I don't suppose there is any harm in asking them? I'm sure they get those sort of requests quite often.
When I had my front windscreen replaced(genuine crack across screen) on my 8p I asked for a sun blind windscreen and they willingly obliged:cool new:
Don't ask don't get......

I'm going to try and live with it for now, but wondered if I could replace just the rear screen using my glass insurance and get the glass company to fit Privacy glass instead of standard glass? Do you think they'll do this if they know I haven't had Privacy glass fitted as standard? I'm assuming there is no extra cost for rear screens compared to windscreens?

I can't imgine they would even talk to you unless the glass is damaged. And deliberately damaging it would be sailing very close to the wind!
Were you really thinking of doing that?

I'm not really sure I'd given this idea enough thought and a wave of realisation and guilt has come across me after reading people's valid replies.
I think the conclusion is that I probably could have a Privacy rear window fitted IF my window was damaged, but it isn't so I need to think again.

Strangely there are some very tiny defects on one side of the glass which the fitter pointed out to me that I hadn't even noticed. These were highlighted when the film was placed on the window, but I hardly see them as a worthy claim for a 'damaged screen'.

I've been looking into fitting film myself as I opted out of Privacy glass originally as it looked too dark (my only possible regret) Can you post a photo of the rear glass please it would be good to see if your one shows the fade lines like most I've seen so far.

The other option is to buy an original rear glass from Audi circa £170 and have glass fitter fit it. I've also been weighing this option up.

IMG 7392
IMG 7385
IMG 7389

I am very pleased with the overall look of the tints and I haven't noticed any fade. They look darker from some angles, but seem to be a very similar darkness to my original Privacy glass on my 8P. If it wasn't for the glare at night from the rear screen I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Reactions: SW14NY'S
I had my windows tinted on my vxr and I had this glare from the heating element aswell. He took the tint off the rear and replaced with a thinner film but it was still the same so I just lived with it, the only reason I ordered my sb with privacy glass. I find a glare on the fords too with the quickclear windscreen.

You can see the edge between the original tint on glass and the film which is what I wondered if there was a way to avoid. Its even noticeable on the rear quarters too. Most I've seen show the heating elements more as the film is placed on the back of the glass your in the photo doesn't show up as much. Its probably me but I was hoping to avoid that.

Great colour and shine by the way.

Seeing as I was buying on the used market getting a car with all my desired options was hard and staying in budget!

This was the closest example and I wasn't prepared to wait any longer. I thought fitting tints instead of waiting for a car with Privacy glass would solve the only missing option, but I can now see that they don't perform in quite the same way. I'll just have to focus on the desired options I did get and stop looking so much at the glare :sunglasses:

It got a good clean/polish yesterday so well worth getting the camera out.

Reactions: Rob2k68