Help Please Those with B8 S4 .... Would this exhaust mod work?

miltybilty

Reaction score
Hello,

Not sure if there's much on this .... I did a little searching.

My friend just got a b8.5 2015 S4 loaded with every option including some I didn't know existed .... Sepang blue AND

S-Tronic

On that know I'll explain what info I'm looking for ....

A CHEAP DRONELESS EXHAUST MOD, or at least very little drone .... A but of drone on light acceleration or okay and not that odd for a car if it has a louder more sporty exhaust.

Anybody with the S-Tronic got a centre resonator delete with X-Pipe? How's the drone?

Anybody thought of getting the stock centre resonator or the rear mufflers of the fibreglass or just partially gutting them?
To add a slightly louder tone?

Comments appreciated.

And yes if I found the thread I wanted I wouldn't have posted ....

Sent from my DEVICE using Tapacar

Not sure about the res delete, but the was defo a guy on here that had the x pipe fitted, then as I recall, promptly had it removed because the noise was too much. Guess it’s down to personal preference though. Maybe a bit more searching might reveal the posts.

The Back Boxes are resonators, there is some "fibreglass" at one end, the rest is a Helmholtz chamber.
If you remove the back boxes, it will drone. Removing the "fibreglass" should get you a little more volume, but it's a lot of work for a small gain.
S4 Back Box

The Back Boxes are resonators, there is some "fibreglass" at one end, the rest is a Helmholtz chamber.
If you remove the back boxes, it will drone. Removing the "fibreglass" should get you a little more volume, but it's a lot of work for a small gain.
View attachment 167089
Cool thanks ....

Ya looking at it and judging by what you said it seems that it wouldn't be a good idea to even remove the fibreglass because if there the main resonators then it could create drone.

So maybe gutting the centre resonator would work .... Although it would be a risk.

Here you are, just what you asked.............

Ah thanks .... That's sounds great.

Only issue being it's a manual .... Whereas the 7speed S-TRONIC is known to have different drone which is odd ....

But I'm sure I personally could live with it .... Just not sure about my Friend .... He drone a very loud Saturn for a while .... Sounded decent .... But droned major.

Removing the fibreglass in the back boxes would increase volume and not cause drone.
From the video, seems like replacing the box in the middle of the car with an X-Pipe could be the cheap mod you are looking for.

However, there are more than one design of "X-Pipe" , "H-Pipe" or "resonated X-Pipe"!
It's all about how much crossover of gases or how the firing pulses from each side interact, or an X-pipe perforated and enclosed in a silencer/muffler.

Last edited:
Reactions: miltybilty
Before and after S-Tronic with middle box replaced with a resonated X-Pipe..........

Last edited:
Not sure about the res delete, but the was defo a guy on here that had the x pipe fitted, then as I recall, promptly had it removed because the noise was too much. Guess it’s down to personal preference though. Maybe a bit more searching might reveal the posts.
Hey Keef, how’s things?

Yep that was me, had the centre silencer replaced with the x pipe, sounded pretty good outside the car but in my personal opinion made the exhaust far too loud inside to the point I was embarrassed to put my foot down. Again only in my opinion but it made the exhaust sound cheap. I got it booked straight back in and had the silencer fitted again. I also thought the YouTube clips sounded great but id recommend trying to hear it in the flesh and you never k ow your friend might like it.

Reactions: scotty76, miltybilty and Keef
Hey @magrillz
All good thanks pal, ahh I remember now, couldn’t recall when I posted!
Still got the S4? I’m still driving over that way but much earlier in the morning

Hey @magrillz
All good thanks pal, ahh I remember now, couldn’t recall when I posted!
Still got the S4? I’m still driving over that way but much earlier in the morning
Yep still got it, not doing many miles as a stay at home dad now so definitely won’t see me early in the morning over that way . You still enjoying the S4?

Yep that was me, had the centre silencer replaced with the x pipe,
The X-pipe in the clip is a "resonated X-pipe". I assume you had fitted a straight X-pipe in place of the OE middle box.
This is an X-Pipe with holes inside a silencer, specifically a "magnaflow 11385".
Maybe that would be the answer.
I would love to see what was inside that OE middle box.

Magnaflow 11385

Hey Keef, how’s things?

Yep that was me, had the centre silencer replaced with the x pipe, sounded pretty good outside the car but in my personal opinion made the exhaust far too loud inside to the point I was embarrassed to put my foot down. Again only in my opinion but it made the exhaust sound cheap. I got it booked straight back in and had the silencer fitted again. I also thought the YouTube clips sounded great but id recommend trying to hear it in the flesh and you never k ow your friend might like it.
So it was more of an issue when you were accelerating?

Not so much drone, as more loud when under acceleration .... Right?

The X-pipe in the clip is a "resonated X-pipe". I assume you had fitted a straight X-pipe in place of the OE middle box.
This is an X-Pipe with holes inside a silencer, specifically a "magnaflow 11385".
Maybe that would be the answer.
I would love to see what was inside that OE middle box.

View attachment 167162
This are good but not much louder than a OEM setup to my knowledge.

I watched a few youtube videos by the same guy who you posted up.

Seems not that much louder.

But perfect for someone that only wants to add a little sound.

Yep mine was a standard x pipe not the model above that as you say is more of a silencer isn’t it. It was loud overall but the drone around 3k revs was unbearable.

The cheapest way I know to get more noise without excessive drone is to fit the BCS back Boxes.
Cheaper than a full system.
BCS are site sponsers