There’s no going back now?

prt57

Reaction score
I have been stripping Off the front end of my S3 ready for a Wagner intercooler installation. Hopefully tomorrow I can start the rebuild. It has been an interesting job so far.
Buying the correct tools for the job really helps.
1D4A11BE 521E 4176 BF1F 2A65648CB886

Reactions: leshkin, paddy and Shiz94
The job has progressed well today and the Wagner is attached to the cooling radiator.
I thought the Air con rad looked OK from the outside apart from a few flies. When I pulled it forward there were lumpy bits on the vertical black parts leading in towards the rad core. A quick scratch revealed white Aluminium oxide powder. So whilst it is all in bits I am going to fit a new one so I can fit and forget so I have found a local mobile chap who will degas the rad, attach the new one to the lines and pressure test and then return for a regas when it is all back together.
I will probably buy a Hella from ECP unless you can suggest any thing better.
Not interested in anything cheap and nasty.
All thoughts welcome.
93C72EE7 FA42 416F 9723 BCB7B9E2E8CC

Reactions: HHS3
Slow progress this week due to work and the fact I decided to replace the air con radiador.
As suggested earlier, I decided to go with a Hella from ECP.
A word of warning in the black ones match the original Aud unit. However, the first one I ordered was silver in colour and looked very different with the mountings being a different shape etc.
I specified a black one and the replacement unit matched the original.
There was a bit of filing of the mounting lugs in order to get everything to line up but not a problem as the lugs are Aluminium. It also needed a couple of extra washers to space out the air con rad from touching the Wagner on the top right hand side by the dryer So as you can see the core support and crash bar are back in place loosely supported by the long bolts at the moment.
I will continue with the rebuild tomorrow. I can see why the experts leave the headlamps attached to the core support as I can see they are going to be a pain to reset properly.
3F572091 74F3 4541 9F2C D443AE267226

Reactions: leshkin
Think i may order an air con rad on hand just incase mine is dud

Think i may order an air con rad on hand just incase mine is dud

I think it is worth it as you don’t want the pain of taking it all to pieces again.
Mine was not too bad really and I would have left it if I had not been taking the front off.
Please remember the Black Hella is exactly the same as the original whereas the silver version is not the same with different shaped mounting lugs. Probably fits OK but I wanted the oem appearance from the front as well. Be prepared to do a bit of filing to make sure it fits properly and the bolts are not straining sideways.

Reactions: Kaine19
HellaProduct Code: 222440610

Ordered that mate. Is that right one?

Hi
The product code seems to be the same for the oem black and the cheaper looking plain Aluminium version with different shaped mounting brackets. It would probably fit but you will see a quality difference.
It seems to be luck of the draw.
So I had a black one from ECP but they also had 2 plain Aluminium versions in stock.

This one shows black on the pics. I picked it up today. I havent actually looked if black or not

Nearly back together now with the lights located and all the pipework and electrics apart from the fog lights all connected up again.
The silicon hoses with the Wagner were a bit of a struggle to fit but got there in the end.
I needed to cut a bit more off the lower radiator to intercooler supports so the intercooler to throttle body hose would sit correctly and by the air con rad connections to they were not rubbing.
25F8559D 44B6 4860 ACBF 39CF4F69646D

Hopefully get the bumper back on again today.
I have taken the opportunity to waxoyl the suspension parts and copper greased all the fixings.

Reactions: S. and Rideen
So the job is complete and everything is back together with no funny noises when started up and so very pleased.
The Wagner is a super piece of kit with no major headaches on the way .
Main hassles were having to cut away the lower corners of the radiator lower support with everything back in place so the silicon hose would sit properly and the air con connector could sit neatly without being squashed against the bracket. If I fitted another intercooler, I would modify these parts whilst everything was in bits.
The air con rad wanted to touch the Wagner on the end tank weld top right. I thought vibration and road grit would lead to missing paint in the future. No problem as I spaced it out with a couple of 6mm washers from Halfords. Exactly the same as the washers supplied with the Wagner for the fixing bolts.
Strong hands needed to get the silicon hoses on fully in spite of a bit of spit to lubricate things!
Also essential to get long M10 coach bolts to support the core support as shown on the APR instructions. I used 2 long bolts on each side to prevent the whole assembly pivoting when pulled forward rather than just one as suggested by APR.
The axle stands were essential to get the front end jacked up and the carpet covered plank on the bricks as seen in the earlier photos was really helpful to support the various components.
So in conclusion, it is a DIY job with 2 people needed for a lifting parts on and off if they are a bit awkward but most can be done on your own.
I think you would need some mechanical knowledge and I have been working on cars for over 49 years now. The ability to plan what you are going to do help you see any issues coming up.
I was lucky in that I did not need to rush as it isn't my daily driver. Putting the fixings in labelled bags meant I had no spare parts at the end! A full tool kit is essential. luckily I have a shop called Toolman nearby that provided most extra things.
At the time, I regretted removing the headlights rather than bringing them out with the core support as the height adjusters adjusted themselves out of alignment. However, not a big deal to reset the heights with adjusters once the bumper was bolted back in place and doing it my way meant that it was one less thing to cope with at the time of reinstalling the core support as you need to make sure nothing catches on the front edge of the wings spoiling the paint.
Just need to get the air con regassed and away we go .
202A66FB 6281 465C 86EF FF5D18B6E761

Reactions: Rideen, Shiz94, HHS3 and 1 other person