Test drove a X3 M40i yesterday

wab172uk

Now in an X3 M40i And a Yaris GR-Four
Reaction score
As per title. Been thinking of a few cars that I might wish to change the S3 to next year. Spoke to my local BMW dealer Tuesday, and they had an X3 M40i demonstrator in. Champion!

Collected it yesterday. First thoughts when it was driven round was that it sounded fantastic. Probably exhaust trickery, but even so. And that was in comfort mode.

Climbing in, it all felt very nice. More old school with proper switches, buttons, and rotor dial for the Idrive. More Audi A3 than A35 AMG (with all ipads)

Standard seats were very very comfortable and supportive. Better than the S3 SS Seats. Steering wheel was one the border of being a bit too fat, but still felt nice. Seating position was very adjustable, and felt very comfortable when positioned for me. Impressed.

Initial impressions were it was a big car. But once driving it seamed to shrink around me very quickly and felt much smaller driving it than I expected. The car was on the 21" wheels and run-flats. The ride was surprisingly very smooth and comfortable. But I think I'd still spec the 20" wheels and performance tyres. 40 profiled sidewalls may make for an even better ride, and not thump potholes so much.

The biggest surprise for me though, was just how ****** fast it was. Like really surprised. God it can shift. I was expecting it to be S3 fast 296bhp V 355bhp with the added weight of the X3 levelling things up. No way. It'll blow my S3 away in a straight line. But I guess that's what 8 gears allows. Short ratios will always aid acceleration.

Makes me now regret not test driving an RS3, and with 400bhp and DSG it'll be even quicker. I think the new Q3-RS will be even quicker than the X3.

The Harmon Karmon sound system was very impressive too. Good sound. I'd say the Mercedes tech looks far more impressive than the BMW's. But I prefer the BMW layout having buttons over everything having to go through the Ipads, which takes your eyes off the road.

The only thing I didn't like was unlike Audi's DSG where you can pull back on the gearstick to engage sport mode, with the X3 you have to fiddle around for the sport button. So it takes that bit longer to engage sport mode if you're wanting to quickly engage it. Plus with 8 gears the paddles became redundant, not only as they were a bit small, put I was having to constantly flick them to be in the right gear. At least the gearshift was the right way round. Pull back to go up a gears, and push forwards to go down a gear. But as there was very little feel and so many ratio's it was more a gimmick rather than something you would always use. But I'd probably use it sometimes, unlike the paddles.

I handed the car back yesterday felling hugely impressed. More impressed than I expected to. As I have my S3 and my late father's Tuscon at the minute, this X3 is the best of both. Speed of the S3 with the better practicability of the Tuson.

I'm planning on test driving a few more cars, but that X3 is one hell of a car. Top of the list so far

Reactions: Audi Bairn, BarryG79, Bristle Hound and 3 others
Lovely cars these, BMW have upped their game massively with the exterior and interior styling over the last couple of years.

For me there’s absolute no contest between your S3 saloon and the X3 M40i.

X3 all day long.

Reactions: Jcbmally
Seems a lot of Audi drivers switching to BMW! Audi are losing their way imho with current crop of performance cars.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Bristle Hound, Jcbmally and 1 other person
Seems a lot of Audi drivers switching to BMW! Audi are losing their way imho with current crop of performance cars.

TX.

Another one here jumping ship when it’s time to change..

TX.

Iffy interiors and terrible service coupled with extortionate service costs are a big one for pushing people away.

Another consideration for me was that the s3 I previously had was very capable but not much fun.

BMW really have upped their game, the latest models really stand out and seem to have got the interior balance right with new tech and manual controls.

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally and wab172uk
Iffy interiors and terrible service coupled with extortionate service costs are a big one for pushing people away.

Another consideration for me was that the s3 I previously had was very capable but not much fun.

BMW really have upped their game, the latest models really stand out and seem to have got the interior balance right with new tech and manual controls.
Agreed, love my S5 but have to say it doesn't feel fun, it feels safe. When I test drove an F type the other day , putting my foot down gave me a huge grin and the interior was a great place to be. Currently saving up a deposit and hope to get a newer one towards the end of my current deal

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan and TYb
Top car the X3, it’s on my possible lists but is a bit too big for me, since I don’t really need a SUV. The other contenders fit me are the 3 series for M135i, but I won’t be buying until spring so still enough time decide.

Main reason for me moving is mainly due to the delays with Audi’s new lineup. I initially had the new S3 earmarked which was due early 2019 which didn’t materialise,but seems this has now been pushed back to early 2021. I’m not going to wait that long.

Not comparable a old S3 saloon v X3 Msport in my opinion
Besides after driving many new BMW's over the last 18 months a BMW ain't for me they have improved everything about they're cars..but overall l prefer the exterior design language of Audis ....subjectively speaking

Reactions: Antjos1, pburv, AllanG and 1 other person
Not comparable a old S3 saloon v X3 Msport in my opinion
Besides after driving many new BMW's over the last 18 months a BMW ain't for me they have improved everything about they're cars..but overall l prefer the exterior design language of Audis ....subjectively speaking

You just can’t see past an Audi S3 can you.

King of the S3 clique you are fella.

:friendly wink:

Reactions: Paul finch

I’m an Audi person myself but they simply haven’t anything appealing in their line up. If they had no way I would be going to BMW.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Reactions: pburv and Bristle Hound

Not at all my son is a BMW sales manager so l have been in/drove most of the good ones will have a go with the new 135i XDrive when l get the time..that is a nice car as is the new Z4, the BMW X3 Msport and the new X5 are mint for SUVs not my cup of tea though ie a SUV..and if you had a S3 saloon similar to mines you'd feel the same...

Reactions: KenL and pburv
Not at all my son is a BMW sales manager so l have been in/drove most of the good ones will have a go with the new 135i XDrive when l get the time..that is a nice car as is the new Z4, the BMW X3 Msport and the new X5 are mint for SUVs not my cup of tea though ie a SUV..and if you had a S3 saloon similar to mines you'd feel the same...

My mate has a brand spanking new X5 and it’s the nuts.

As for the Saloon, I have one.. a black edition with more spec than most S3s.. it’s just got a hair dryer for an engine..

Mines still **** though because it doesn’t have an S3 badge..

Top car the X3, it’s on my possible lists but is a bit too big for me, since I don’t really need a SUV. The other contenders fit me are the 3 series for M135i, but I won’t be buying until spring so still enough time decide.

Main reason for me moving is mainly due to the delays with Audi’s new lineup. I initially had the new S3 earmarked which was due early 2019 which didn’t materialise,but seems this has now been pushed back to early 2021. I’m not going to wait that long.

They had a 1 Series M135i sat in the showroom. I'd say it looks slightly better in the flesh than it does in the photo's, but by god it's an ugly car. I just couldn't live with those looks.

Like you I was waiting for the next S3, as my current S3 is a great car, and that's why I'm finding it very hard to replace. But ....... if the new Golf is out early next year, with the new A3 out mid-late next year, the next S3 will be at least early-mid 2021. And because it'll be box fresh, discounts will be none existent. So that means either paying list, or waiting till mid 2022. And that's just for the hatch, as the saloon will be released after the hatch. That's too late.

And as we don't yet know (apart from some test mules) what the next A3/S3 will finally look like both externally or internally, it's a gable to sit around and wait.

Reactions: NevMan
They had a 1 Series M135i sat in the showroom. I'd say it looks slightly better in the flesh than it does in the photo's, but by god it's an ugly car. I just couldn't live with those looks.

Like you I was waiting for the next S3, as my current S3 is a great car, and that's why I'm finding it very hard to replace. But ....... if the new Golf is out early next year, with the new A3 out mid-late next year, the next S3 will be at least early-mid 2021. And because it'll be box fresh, discounts will be none existent. So that means either paying list, or waiting till mid 2022. And that's just for the hatch, as the saloon will be released after the hatch. That's too late.

And as we don't yet know (apart from some test mules) what the next A3/S3 will finally look like both externally or internally, it's a gable to sit around and wait.

Totally agree, it’s not with the 1.5 year wait or paying over the odds for the thing, end of the day it’s still a hatch. I thought about buying a 8V again in it’s saloon form for a year or two until the new S3 arrives, but then quickly realised the depreciation will be huge when the new one lands in 18 months or so.

For some reason I quite like the M135i, but maybe because I see it as a nice lil all rounder. Wasn’t too impressed with the interior though.

Here’s what the new saloon will apparently look like, to be honest it looks like a mini version of the A4 facelift.

Totally agree, it’s not with the 1.5 year wait or paying over the odds for the thing, end of the day it’s still a hatch. I thought about buying a 8V again in it’s saloon form for a year or two until the new S3 arrives, but then quickly realised the depreciation will be huge when the new one lands in 18 months or so.

For some reason I quite like the M135i, but maybe because I see it as a nice lil all rounder. Wasn’t too impressed with the interior though.

Here’s what the new saloon will apparently look like, to be honest it looks like a mini version of the A4 facelift.
Wrong the rate of depreciation on the current car wont increase because of the new A3 it never has....done

Wrong the rate of depreciation on the current car wont increase because of the new A3 it never has....done

Course it does, there's no way an end of life model won't be worth less when the new model comes out.

People (not all) but most people like to drive the latest version of cars.

It has to affect the resale value, basic supply and demand.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. What I meant was the price I will pay for 18-19 plate saloon right now, given it’s still the current model I will be paying top end of the bracket. However once the new platform has been out for 6 months or so, you’ll easily be picking one of them for the sane price range. So you can guess what sort of depreciation we are talking here.

Course it does, there's no way an end of life model won't be worth less when the new model comes out.

People (not all) but most people like to drive the latest version of cars.

It has to affect the resale value, basic supply and demand.
My 15 plate S3 depreciation didnt move when the new facelifted model came out....
Supply and demand is relative and demand for the all New S3 wont be instant....either when people see the prices

Reactions: pburv
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. What I meant was the price I will pay for 18-19 plate saloon right now, given it’s still the current model I will be paying top end of the bracket. However once the new platform has been out for 6 months or so, you’ll easily be picking one of them for the sane price range. So you can guess what sort of depreciation we are talking here.
18/19 plate cars are just over £32k spec dependent of course which is £10k less than a new one for talks sake ...the all new S3 will be very expensive indeed...and it may even not be the car you want...the all new Golf is being called a backward step over the current car by the motoring press...doesn't bode well for the new A3 as they're virtually identical under the skin
You'll get 20% discount off a new S3 ..very soon

My 15 plate S3 depreciation didnt move when the new facelifted model came out....
Supply and demand is relative and demand for the all New S3 wont be instant....either when people see the prices

How do you know it didn't move, did you try to sell it? You say demand wont be instant which i agree with you on this but with regards to prices of the new S3, nobody knows how much it's going to cost.

You're guessing.

How do you know it didn't move, did you try to sell it? You say demand wont be instant which i agree with you on this but with regards to prices of the new S3, nobody knows how much it's going to cost.

You're guessing.

Yes l sold it privately the new S3 "hatchback" will start around £38,500 basic probably more,yes a educated guess expect the saloon to start from just over£40k and a fully specced Vorsprung edition will hit £50k

Yes l sold it privately the new S3 "hatchback" will start around £38,500 basic probably more,yes a educated guess expect the saloon to start from just over£40k and a fully specced Vorsprung edition will hit £50k

If you’re right at £50K Jesus Christ.. it would have to be some machine to sell in the numbers as the current 8V S3 has.

Nothing is coming down is it and these Vorsprung additions are insanely priced but as long as the monthlies aren’t crazy most wont care about the list price.

Will be interesting to see how the market reacts to the new Golf and A3, I’ve not seen a new 1 series on the road yet and I’m on the motorway 4 days a week.

Plenty new 3 series about now.

Nothing is coming down is it and these Vorsprung additions are insanely priced but as long as the monthlies aren’t crazy most wont care about the list price.

Will be interesting to see how the market reacts to the new Golf and A3, I’ve not seen a new 1 series on the road yet and I’m on the motorway 4 days a week.

Plenty new 3 series about now.

No body in their right mind will be paying 50k for an S3 though, so the price will be discounted somewhat. I would say you’re looking at around 43k for a loaded with discounts. It’s an A3 at the end of the day.

Reactions: S32B
No body in their right mind will be paying 50k for an S3 though, so the price will be discounted somewhat. I would say you’re looking at around 43k for a loaded with discounts. It’s an A3 at the end of the day.

Even paying £43k is crazy for what as you say is an A3 when we hardly get to use the power.

Reactions: S32B
Even paying £43k is crazy for what as you say is an A3 when we hardly get to use the power.

Agreed hence I gave that figure as a worst case scenario. Obviously going through the like of Carwow you’re probably talking arojybd 40k and that’s with a few option, as opposed the bog standard model.

Looking at the trader you can pickup 19 plate approved used S3s with pan roof between 32-34k and these are cars with between 1000-4000 on the clock. For 50k I’d expect a used new generation M3 when it’s finally here, not a S3.

Also don’t forget they need to compete with the likes of the M135i which I spec’d you be up to my liking, came in at just under 40k. Dealer straight away said he could do it for 37.5k and kept ringing me for days after saying he could discount it further lol...

Agreed hence I gave that figure as a worst case scenario. Obviously going through the like of Carwow you’re probably talking arojybd 40k and that’s with a few option, as opposed the bog standard model.

Looking at the trader you can pickup 19 plate approved used S3s with pan roof between 32-34k and these are cars with between 1000-4000 on the clock. For 50k I’d expect a used new generation M3 when it’s finally here, not a S3.

I’m not disagreeing with you, you’ll struggle to get much of a discount when it’s released though.

Good cars but not worth £40k upwards especially with the poorer interior materials we are beginning to see.

I've just jumped into the Audi stable for the first time with an A6. I test drove a 5 Series, but I liked the Audi better. Judging by the comments here, I'm strange ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06
@X3man - Where are you Nev ? ;) lol

I'm a jump shipper. After 17 years in Audi's I'm now in a new X3
After the latest experiences I've had with Audi & their Dealers it was time to move on

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jcbmally and Jassyo06
Hello Col. don’t have anything much to add here. M40i...I love it, others don’t.

Also think the M135i is a cracking car, not the best looking to some, but I quite like. BMW definitely discount more than Audi at the mo, just look at the recent X3MC/X34MC deals - £20k+ contribution, which is why they struggle more on used values (especially M’s) than Audi’s, but I am sorry, over £40k for a average spec A3/S3 is way too much. As that is higher road tax bracket too.

In summary....get what you like and fits budget.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Jcbmally, S32B and 3 others
I changed 3 weeks ago from an Audi S6 67 Plate to a BMW X3 M40i and it is truly a fantastic car and the acceleration seems more urgent than the Audi S6. The deals offered on the stock cars during the “Black Friday” BMW car event was truly amazing with 2.9% APR and 22% discount, this meant the deal was exceptional good!

Normally it would be 4.9% apr and about 12-16% discount!

I have been with audi for about 6-7 years after changing from BMW but pleased to be back in a BMW now as Audi for me had lost something.

If you have any doubts about the new X3 M40i then go an try it out! I was blown away.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
I test drove new m135i x drive few weeks ago and loved it. I thougt it looked better in flesh than in pictures and think that the interior and standard features on models here in Australia put it ahead now and it's the top of my list of cars to replace wife's leased s3 in 5 months time. Still want to test drive the A35 but here Merc give minimal discounts so I'd expect $10k more than S3/M135I leased.

I think Audi need an update as fallen behind the tech now in a35 and m135i but obviously they have just been released and both massively updated over previous models. Also the gap between a golf R and S3 now very minimal in terms of stock features here but price is miles apart. VW had deal recently 7.5R with 5 yr warranty for $54,990 DA I'd assume that could negotiate the upgraded stereo $1k option here and tint for that price and then only feature not on would be sunroof. Audi s3 similiar features comes in at almost $80k hence why I'd easily see 10-20 golf R compared to S3 on road here.

I changed 3 weeks ago from an Audi S6 67 Plate to a BMW X3 M40i and it is truly a fantastic car and the acceleration seems more urgent than the Audi S6. The deals offered on the stock cars during the “Black Friday” BMW car event was truly amazing with 2.9% APR and 22% discount, this meant the deal was exceptional good!

Normally it would be 4.9% apr and about 12-16% discount!

I have been with audi for about 6-7 years after changing from BMW but pleased to be back in a BMW now as Audi for me had lost something.

If you have any doubts about the new X3 M40i then go an try it out! I was blown away.

I wish that event was still on. 22% discount and 2.9% would have probably seen me sign for one there and then.

but by god it's an ugly car. I just couldn't live with those looks.
Imagine if you had ugly looking kids! That would be tough :p

No body in their right mind will be paying 50k for an S3 though

If I had £43-£50k to spend on a new car it would have to be:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201911184469236?

OR

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201911184495294?

At least they look the price!

Reactions: NevMan and BarryG79