TDI v's S3

I was being serious about handling being improved when there are passengers on board, ok not 4 fat bloke, but me as a driver, and three medium passenger. Maybe the extra ballast lowers the car to the point of lowereing the center of gravity lol, or maybe the car was slower due to the extra weight, so actually cornering slower, but feeling faster if you know what I mean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Rick,

No offence, but...

1 you are arguing with two of the most respected people on the forum and not making a very sucessful argument.

2 it is starting to sound like you are unable to actually read other peoples posts!

3. no one is arguing the a diesel has lots of torque and can in some situations keep up with other cars etc etc.

4. Glen has tried to say on a number of occasions it's the area under the power / torque graphs that are important if your talking about out and out performance as if a diesel can have 1,000 Nm or torque, but if it's only for 1rpm it's not much help!

It's only a forum can everyone lighten up!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pleased that the message gets accross to some people... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Rick's points about our man, the Superchips Engineer, are perfectly valid when comparing the numbers before and after chipping ON THE SAME CAR.

BUT:
There are entirely too many variables to consider when looking at peak numbers to enable someone who doesn't understand (or perhaps not fully) to make a sweeping statement about car A being faster than car B simply based upon the peak power and torque figures.

Gearing, willingness of the engine to rev, car weight, air resistance (drag coeficcient) etc ALL effect it, when comparing car A to car B.

All I'm trying to do is explain that...it's not that hard to grasp, surely?

[quote
Anyone actually driven/own/chipped a TDi Q 3.0 ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - had A6 3.0TDI Q for the day when my own A6 1.9TDI was getting serviced. Not chipped obviously, as it was a Camerons manager's car (he has *really* bad taste in music, BTW).

The car is very refined, and very fast - it is so quiet and smooth that you don't know you're travelling fast - except when you look out the side windows! Handles and corners extremely well for a big car (but the "old" A6 in Sport spec does also). It was S-line spec, and I would say the suspension was not a stiff as in my TDI Sport. Not a big fan of the Tip 'box - would be great with Multi, but that's not available with Q drivetrain.

You could cover a lot of ground very quickly and in a considerable amount of comfort in that car. As to whether it would embarass an S3, I couldn't say but would certainly depend on the type of journey you were talking about. Around Knockhill, no chance. Over a couple of hundred miles of autoroute or Autobahn, now that might be a different matter.

>>"Number of cup holders? How many packets of noodles fit in the boot? What do we use???"<<

BTW, you'd get oodles of noodles in the boot..............

Hi Jojo,

completly agree with what your saying, My S3 seems to roll less in corners even when I have a full tank of petrol compared to empty, with a few people in the car it's better too.

I found this in my old clio too, was flatter in corners when heavy - which I guess it makes sense for all cars.

mickey_a6 - I like the idea of comparing cars by the noodles in boot factor - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]

mickey_a6 - I like the idea of comparing cars by the noodles in boot factor - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I can see real potential here - for example, if loading the car up has major benefits as discussed above, an A6 ought to benefit much more in the handling department by filling the boot with noodles than, say, an S3 as it has a hugely bigger boot. Thus, gap between A6 TDI and S3 narrows considerably................. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Forget any mods - I'm down to Tesco tonight on the way home from work to load up with noodles.

SO at last we find out the reason for MarkB's stripped out interior!

It all becomes clear!

:)

s3noodles.jpg

LMFAO! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SORRY BUT I SOLD MY S3 AND GOT A FABIA VRS

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to apologise, we all make mistakes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SORRY BUT I SOLD MY S3 AND GOT A FABIA VRS

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to apologise, we all make mistakes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Where not all badge snobbs your know! Just needed cheaper car to run and for the money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

nice choice S3SCX /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Hello! I've not been on here in quite a while...! Was jst reading through the threads and found this. Amongst a lot of other cars i've owned in the 4 years i've been driving, i've had a 2003 Audi A4 1.9 Tdi 130. 2006 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Quattro Manual, 2006 Mini Cooper S, 2007 Audi S3, and i've got a Astra VXR Nurburgring edition at the moment. I'm due to change in 3 months and after driving my friends A6 3.0 TDI Quattro Tip... thats the choice im going to make, it puts my stage 2 VXR (290BHP) to shame. in standard form, on the German Autobahn he leaves me for dead past 60mph, the modern 3.0Tdi engines are fantastic.

End of the day its Horses for courses, if your after a 'performance' car... thats the intended use of the S3 which was damn good but it just didnt justify the extra fuel cost as the tdi, i work in germany so a lot of miles get laid out on the autobahn and the S3 was quite simply annoying after 300 miles of 150mph ish. The A6 was a joy though.

Just one more thing, yes i am only 21, and have been driving on 4 years, however, i do know what im talking about, not only have I completed in excess of 30 laps of the Nurburgring i'm also a Class 1 Police Advanced driver, so please dont think i'm just some daddys boy who gets flash cars bought for him, because I dont! lol

A6 3.0 TDI if you can find a nice example! They are brilliant!

on this topic did anyone watch 5th gear last night, passat r36 vs 3.0tdi quattro a4, not alot in it.