TDi Quattro Clutch problem

pat_986

Reaction score
Hi all

Searches seem to return issues about clutch slip, not the issue I have, so would appreciate some help.

My 55plate A3 2.0 TDi Quattro with 120k miles and manual gearbox seems to have a clutch problem;

'sometimes' difficult to select gear - mostly first and reverse & occasionally second - never any other gears
Much more noticeable with cold weather, but does not go away when engine is warmed up

When pulling up to a stop in first gear, braking and engaging clutch (still in first) in the last yard or so, can feel a noticeable 'jolt' a bit like the engine has rocked.

When the 'jolt' is felt, even with the clutch fully depressed, lift off the brake and the car will slowly creep forward.
When this happens, the gear stick is very very stiff to come out of gear, unless revs are raised to 2.5k and the gearstick comes out easily as it should.

Also, when the 'jolt' is felt, the clutch biting point is very close to the floor - but returns to a normal biting point once changed into second gear.

On a journey of stop/start traffic, the problem is noticeable about half the time - the other half is normal.

Grateful of any help - I’m stuck as I can see arguments for & against both the gearbox & Clutch?:think:
Cheers, Pat

i would replace the clutch pedal cylinder as these fault in cold weather BUT sometimes it the concentric slave in the box so do cheapest option first ie pedal
otherwise gearbox out and new clutch slave and kit also you may have to put a dualmass in it?

thanks.
What is the clutch cylinder, the master cylinder type thing?

Its the Clutch release bearing,but its all built together in one unit,hydraulic and bearing is all in one,your clutch is dragging,hence you are having difficulty engaging gears stationary, either you need your clutch bleeding or more likely your clutch or duel mass flywheel is faulty...