Tar spots

AlS3BE

Reaction score
Upload 2019 10 1 15 47 3

Drove through some road works yesterday and now my car is covered in tar spots. it’s everywhere. All over the wheels and down both sides of the car. I have never had tar spots so bad on any of my cars. it’s like someone sprayed tar all over the car.
Not happy about this. What was meant to be a quick wash turned into 3 hours decontamination then an hour of light polish and finally slapped some meguiars hybrid wax on as I was running out of time.
4 rounds of carpro tar x and trix then ran out of both so clayed the rest away. The wheels are coming off for winter soon so will get them done when the winters are on.
Absolutely horrific. The **** was just everywhere and bonded well to the paint.
Will try and get some pics of the finished job later.

Autosmart Tardis is what you want. WD40 will also do the job but polish & wax after to protect the paint again.

Could never get wd40 to work like some videos I’ve seen. Been using carpro tar x and trix for years and always did the job. Just didn’t have enough of it this time so got the clay out. Normally trix is enough so I don’t need to clay. Just not this time.
It was that bad I could see the trail of tar spots from 6 feet away.

anyway. Much better now.

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-1_17-45-10.jpeg
    upload_2019-10-1_17-45-10.jpeg
    769.8 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: Bulldog and NevMan
I had the exact same issue a few weeks back on my A6 Avant in Floret silver. Used AF ObliTARate which did the trick. It’s an absolute joke the way they are doing the roads around here there calling it road dressing. Basically they spray wet tarmac sprinkle stones on it & let us use our cars to sweep it up & get stuck to our cars.

Reactions: NevMan
I had the exact same issue a few weeks back on my A6 Avant in Floret silver. Used AF ObliTARate which did the trick. It’s an absolute joke the way they are doing the roads around here there calling it road dressing. Basically they spray wet tarmac sprinkle stones on it & let us use our cars to sweep it up & get stuck to our cars.
Doing it on the cheap. Give it a year or so and they come back and do it again cause it never lasts.
This has to been the worse time it’s ever happened to me. there’s bits of tar stuck to the mud flaps as well and I don’t want to blast them with chemicals and discolour them. Might just have to pick them out.
Glad there’s no chips on the paint at least.
A lot of work but glad it turned out well.
If you look at the mud flaps there’s still tar spots stuck to it.
Upload 2019 10 2 17 53 40

Reactions: NevMan and Bulldog
Yep I’d just had my coilovers fitted the week before & knew they need adjusting so was properly peed off. Lucky there KW’s with stainless steel body’s so wasn’t to bad. Like you say quick cheap way of doing the roads. I went & bought some 6 x cheap noodle wash mits to clean the wheels & lower body panels & binned then afterwards.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Yep I’d just had my coilovers fitted the week before & knew they need adjusting so was properly peed off. Lucky there KW’s with stainless steel body’s so wasn’t to bad. Like you say quick cheap way of doing the roads. I went & bought some 6 x cheap noodle wash mits to clean the wheels & lower body panels & binned then afterwards.

had kw on one of my old cars and the quality was very good even after 7+ years of my abuse.

Yeah the ride is amazing on them.

Late to this thread but to be honest any brand of tar remover is just as good as any other tar remover

Reactions: NevMan and AlS3BE
Late to this thread but to be honest any brand of tar remover is just as good as any other tar remover

which one would you recommend?
Looking for something a bit cheaper than tar x or trix. Must have used £10-15 worth of the stuff to remove all those tar spots.
Used the autoglym one years ago but found it pretty weak then stumbled on the carpro stuff which is very powerful but expensive.

which one would you recommend?
Looking for something a bit cheaper than tar x or trix. Must have used £10-15 worth of the stuff to remove all those tar spots.
Used the autoglym one years ago but found it pretty weak then stumbled on the carpro stuff which is very powerful but expensive.
.............my choice is Autosmart ''Tardis''. look on eBay you can get 500ml bottles,just make shure it's genuine( check sellers feeedback) & you will be fine. I get mine from eBay as it will last for ages.

Reactions: AlS3BE and voorhees
.............my choice is Autosmart ''Tardis''. look on eBay you can get 500ml bottles,just make shure it's genuine( check sellers feeedback) & you will be fine. I get mine from eBay as it will last for ages.

Used to get auto smart stuff for cheap as old neighbour was a rep for them now struggling get it without buying huge quantities. Will have a look on eBay and see. Just don’t want the risk of some watered down crap.

Reactions: RS3 S.
Used to get auto smart stuff for cheap as old neighbour was a rep for them now struggling get it without buying huge quantities. Will have a look on eBay and see. Just don’t want the risk of some watered down ****.
I use Koch chemie. It has an orange coloured label. Forgot the name. Sorry!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Used to get auto smart stuff for cheap as old neighbour was a rep for them now struggling get it without buying huge quantities. Will have a look on eBay and see. Just don’t want the risk of some watered down ****.
I think that's the issue. AFAIK TARDIS is never officially sold in less than 5l so you are relying on someone decanting it or not getting the real McCoy. As I would never use 5l of tar remover I went with AF ObliTarate which is stronger than Autoglym and works for me.

An alternative solution is to get together with a couple of people and split a 5l purchase direct from the rep. At least that way you will be getting the genuine product

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk