1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Talk to me about ..... (building a track car)

mk4gtiturbo Jun 9, 2020

1. mk4gtiturbo

mk4gtiturbo Active Member

So the S4 has now gone and been replaced with a 15 plate 530d which does everything I need it to for the road, it's quick enough, economical enough and well specced.

But I miss the S4, I have an E36 compact that I'm about to build into a track car, I have a 2.8 six pot, cams, inlet, LSD, etc but I'm now thinking is this what I want to build?? Previously I had a mk2 Golf 16v which I build and loved it. I'm now thinking of an S3 (1.8T) or I can get a TT 225 cheaper. Which would be better as a fast road / track car, are they the same underneath? Don't want to spend mega fortunes.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. b2

b2 Active Member

A well spec'd E36 compact would be an excellent track car, you see them quite commonly on track days. I would prefer the coupe as it has a longer wheelbase but no biggy. The VAG 1.8t will be faster off the mark in comparison but overall the BMW will feel more comfortable around the bends and in my opinion theres not much between them, both quite capable cars with plenty of tuning potential.

mk4gtiturbo likes this.
  4. Tj 0785

Tj 0785 Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter Silver Supporter VCDS Map User

S3 will be heavy with the 4wd and the s3 seats weigh a ton so they will have to go depends what you want rear wheel drive, 4wd, or fwd, tt,a3/s3 can all get decent power from a stage 2 or even hybrid turbo with most parts coming up 2nd fairly cheap compared to new

mk4gtiturbo and Sandra like this.
  5. royalsteve68

royalsteve68 Well-Known Member

Need something lighter. Mx5 1.8 or Renaultsport clio 172

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

6. mk4gtiturbo

Thanks for the replies, I suppose I should at least try and chuck the BMW around a track before making a decision.

b2 likes this.
  7. royalsteve68

royalsteve68 Well-Known Member

Presume the bmw is rwd, if so ideal for the track

8. mk4gtiturbo

Yes, it's RWD and I have some nice bits for it (LSD, cams, intake, etc) so I suppose I should give it a chance!! Just miss the S4!!

9. CarbonMike

CarbonMike Active Member

Friend of mine has an E46 325ti Compact track car, much lighter bodyshell compared to coupe.

Its such a fun car for not alot of money at all!

For the amateur occasional track day i wouldnt waste your time or money chasing horsepower. Keep it cheap, simple & fun. Thats speaking from 17 years of experience in building, owning and racing cars competitively and as an enthusiast.

10. mk4gtiturbo

I already have a 2.8 six pot sat in the garage!!