Swirl flap replacement 2.7TDi BPP engine

Wetsump

Reaction score
I've searched the forum and not found an answer to this - but apologies if I simply didn't search on the right key-words.

I have a 2006(56) A6 2.7TDi saloon with the BPP engine.

I have been driving it for ages with the swirl flaps knackered and the EML illuminated (P1018/P3135, P2011 and others). The car still runs perfectly after a further 50k miles with the EML lit. Now I learn that any engine management light illuminated is now an MOT fail. So I've bitten the bullet and removed both intake manifolds, cleaned them out (messy job) and replaced the swirl flaps, their worn out bearings, actuating levers and the actuating arms. All went back together again more easily than I expected.

I then went back to my garage and had them clear all the diagnostic codes.

Within 10 miles the EML was back on again. I suspected (hoped) this may be a faulty glowplug or two, but a check back at my usual garage showed that the swirl flaps were still throwing errors. In my frustration, I didn't make a note of the specific errors displayed, but I do recall them being swirl flap related.

Questions:
1. Does something else have to be reset (using VCDS?) once the swirl flaps and manifolds have been re-installed?
2. I don't want to change them unnecessarily, but might the swirl flap motors be a problem? I can see both motors flipping the flaps when ignition is switched on. All electrical connectors appear to be securely connected.
3. Can the swirl flap diagnostic be ruled-out with VCDS? Should I simply approach a local member with VCDS and ask them to disable the swirl flap diagnostics? (is it even that straightforward?)

Thanks for any help here.
I am in Hungerford and can see that there are some VCDS members reasonably close to me who might be able to help.

I’ve got the same issue here.

My brother had the car before me and I’ve had it since so in about 5-1/2 years of owner ship between us it’s pretty much been on all that time. The fault code only ever comes up with one side swirl flap fault so my suspicion is that the motor has failed communication of some sort.

I recently discovered that you can buy various kits or parts etc. I’ve not actually taken min apart and cleaned recently but the car has done around 80k between us and non-performance issues.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/283628021274

I don’t know if this is the correct one for your engine(I have the same code) but it’s something I’m going to be looking into as I’ve only just been looking into it myself. If i go ahead and it works I’ll post it up on here at some point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, I have a 57 plate 2.7tdi A6 Avant Le Mans. EML has been on for about 3 years with error code P3135. Performance unaffected. Instead of mapping out the flaps you could try fitting "emulators" from Avtoelektronika in Slovenia (yes!!). See YouTube video:-

I had a pair sent and they were fitted last week. Did the job perfectly. They cost about £140 the pair. A lot cheaper then new manifolds or the cost of fitting a kit from Darkside.

Bye the way, as I understand it, an MOT fail for an EML light only applies to diesels from 2008.