Sump refit problem

sandy

Reaction score
Chaps,

Recently got myself an s3 and have been picking up alot of great info from the forum, great site!

So, I was doing the old clean the oil pick up pipe today as I wouldn't be able to sleep for thinking about it clogging.

Anyway.. When refitting the sump, all bolts on finger tight bar the last 3. The last 3 are the ones between the gearbox and sump, and I've only gone and dropped the three of them into the gearbox! Not the actual gearbox but they are trapped in the gap between the box and sump.

Does anyone have any tips for getting them back out? I reckon I could use a magnet or something? Only trouble is I dont have any magnets..

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated, someone must have done this before...

I really can't be ***** dropping the sump again having sealed it all etc

Cheers

I had the same problem when fitting a new sump last year. My memory is a bit hazy but i think I got a small Allen key, covered the small end in double sided sticky tape and managed to fish it out! Other than that I think a magnet would be your best bet buddy

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to have done this.

In the end, I got a flexible telescopic magnet from halfrauds, but it wasn't quite flexible enough.. So I improvised with a bit of cable to push them up close enough to the magnet, took a bit of patience but it paid off in the end. Wasmloving it when I got them out!