Sump Cover Removal

JJ101

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have a definitive instruction on how to replace the sump cover/oil pan on a 2010 A5 2.0tdi Sport 8T3 ? I've got a major issue with my sump drain plug, it won't come out as it's just spinning. Obviously a problem with the thread and no matter what I do, it just won't come out.
It looks like the sub frame has to drop in order to remove the cover. Either that or lift the engine out completely to gain access to all the fixing bolts !!!
This looks expensive and I'm hoping someone out there has the instruction on how to do it easier and more quickly than I've surmised?
Ive already done a search on forums and search engines but there doesn't seem to be an instruction for my particular model ?
Cheers,

JJ

Elsawin or Erwin online will help you.

Sounds like new sump needed tbh if it's just spinning.

Hi,

Does anyone have a definitive instruction on how to replace the sump cover/oil pan on a 2010 A5 2.0tdi Sport 8T3 ? I've got a major issue with my sump drain plug, it won't come out as it's just spinning. Obviously a problem with the thread and no matter what I do, it just won't come out.
It looks like the sub frame has to drop in order to remove the cover. Either that or lift the engine out completely to gain access to all the fixing bolts !!!
This looks expensive and I'm hoping someone out there has the instruction on how to do it easier and more quickly than I've surmised?
Ive already done a search on forums and search engines but there doesn't seem to be an instruction for my particular model ?
Cheers,

JJ

Reactions: JJ101
Elsawin or Erwin online will help you.

Sounds like new sump needed tbh if it's just spinning.
Hi NHN,

Thanks for the rapid response. Unfortunately, I don't have either of those workshop software programs but you sort of confirmed what I thought.
Just wondered if anyone else had done this job previously and could give me pointers?
Cheers,

JJ

You'll need to be careful with the sealant bead to not be too thick it falls into the sump.

Reactions: JJ101

Thanks 8YARWY, different engine and the sump cover looks different but the sub frame structure is the same and as I feared, a major strip down just to access !!!
I think it might be easier to lift the engine

Thanks 8YARWY, different engine and the sump cover looks different but the sub frame structure is the same and as I feared, a major strip down just to access !!!
I think it might be easier to lift the engine

A5 oil sump

I wouldn't lift the engine, I'd just drop the bits from underneath, could open up a can of worms.

Reactions: RS5 JON, JJ101 and 8YARWY