Strange revs behaviour on hard acceleration

tonydata

Reaction score
Hi there, had a good look through the search results but couldn't find anything similar, had a look at a few turbo issue threads too as that may be the problem, I'm not sure...? It's booked in for a diagnostics next week but thought someone here may be able to shed a little light :help:

Symptoms... When I accelerate hard from lowish revs, say 2k, in any gear (although more noticeable in 3, 4, 5) if I am just cruising, the rev counter will jump through to say 3-3.5k revs very quickly (similar to when you floor an automatic car and it drops gear to accelerate) then settle back down and pull normally? I can only describe it as though the acceleration is slipping, there is no real power through that short rev range, then it kicks in...

I *think* there is a loss of power following that generally (it's never really felt like 220bhp tbh!), there's no smoke from what I can see, and no abnormal noises... it's quite a physical thing, I can physically see the rev counter jump.

It's an A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI S Line SE, Petrol, 2007, 124k - no real problems previously to this, had a few things done but all standard issues from what I can tell.

Any help or advice greatly received :icon thumright:

Sounds like clutch slip to me....

Reactions: kanecullen89 and NHN
Thanks, would that not also impact pulling away in 1st gear...? It sets off just fine, it's just kicking power in at low revs to accelerate hard...

Not really. You'll notice it most when the cars under its heaviest load - ie low revs and high gear.

Mine seems to go through spells of slipping then being fine. First noticed it slip about a year ago, then couldn't get it to slip again for a while then it briefly came back again and has been fine ever since lol.......

Ah, ok... I did have a thought about the clutch... I guess just hoping it wasn't that! It is an intermittent problem, sometimes nothing, sometimes I can get it to slip quite easily.

Sometimes I think maybe it could be down to some sort of leak / contamination making its way in and causing the slip - but realistically, having just turned over 100k its probably a fair assumption to say it will genuinely be due a clutch at some point.

If its only intermittent just now, i'd say just to keep an eye on it for the time being till it becomes noticeably worse. That's just my personal opinion though :)

I think you are probably right... must be due one... Am I looking at a big bill?

Will do, cheers!

Sometimes I think maybe it could be down to some sort of leak / contamination making its way in and causing the slip - but realistically, having just turned over 100k its probably a fair assumption to say it will genuinely be due a clutch at some point.

If its only intermittent just now, i'd say just to keep an eye on it for the time being till it becomes noticeably worse. That's just my personal opinion though :)

I agree with this, if its your clutch then just keep an eye on it until you have the £700 or £800 for a new clutch and fly wheel:eek::eek::eek: