Strange clutch/gearbox issues

kanecullen89

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a strange intermittent problem with my clutch and/or gearbox.
Yesterday after about 10 miles of driving I noticed that it was becoming quite hard to put in to gear. Mainly when stationary.
It didn't discriminate either, gears 1-6 and reverse were all quite hard to select and had to pretty much be forced in.

I think the reason behind this was that the clutch seemed like is was slightly engaged even when I had the pedal fully in.

I drove the car today and it was perfectly fine again. This did happen about a month ago but I thought nothing more of it.
The weather was quite warm and sunny yesterday and I remember from the previous occassion that the weather was hot then too.

The clutch seems strong with no slipping so I'm at a loss.

The car is a 55 A3 2.0 tdi non-quattro BKD with 80k on the clock and counting...
Thanks

had a gearbox oil change recently? Might help? :-/

has it had a new clutch on its life yet?

I certainly haven't changed the gearbox oil since I've owned the car and I bought it with 45k so I doubt it was done before then.
No new clutch. Still on original.

Could this mean that the clutch is on its was out? I though the signs were slipping clutch or when the bite is right at the top of the pedal travel?

well it could be the syncro but doubt it.

well if money is tight I'd go for a gearbox oil change and see how you get on.

but it true reality, if cash is flowing ok, it's probably new clutch time, it's done fairly well I'd say.

Have you tried bleeding the clutch slave cylinder???
just with you saying it happens in every gear and seems to still be engaged.
Just a thought nice easy fix for you if it is

New clutch is deffinately an option, got a few outgoings for now though so I think that will have to go on the back burner until the mrs starts working again.
How easy is it to bleed the clutch slave cylinder?
Im just hoping its not the clutch gone. It's odd because it's only happened in hot weather and only twice. I've never seen these symptoms before on any other cars. Like I say, I've driven it today and it's fine again. Probably will be until its really hot again

Oh by the way, when I change the clutch, I wouldn't go for standard one. I would want an uprated clutch an remap. Any idea of pricing or them together? And good companies in the midlands area?

Have you tried bleeding the clutch slave cylinder???
just with you saying it happens in every gear and seems to still be engaged.
Just a thought nice easy fix for you if it is

Thats a fair point, Check this first before you change your clutch. could potentially save you some money!