Steering rack

bouncer117

After some help, i have a big leak on my steering rack, is it possible to repair the seals or do i need to replace the whole thing? If i need to replace it are all b5 racks the same or are they engine specific. Its a 2.8 quattro, what are my options?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
theres a few variations but mostly they're interchangable if you swap the pipes over.

bouncer117

Having a look on ebay and there seems to be 2 types, with or without damper. Any idea which 1 i should be looking at?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
the earlier cars used the damper, later ones didnt. It doesnt actually matter, as again they're interchangable.

Personally i'd be trying to get a later facelift spec rack, ideally from an S4 or RS4 as they are slightly less assisted and feel better. Ofcourse you'll probably pay a premium for one of those. Any facelift rack should be fine though, and later cars fit too.

My track car is running a rack from a 2005 passat. It came out a B5 i was breaking, and i was going to just swap the pipes over onto the S4 rack in the car, but then i realised it was 2005 vs the 1997 rack in the car, so i just swapped the whole thing.

I'm not sure if B6/7 racks work.

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Actually, thining about it, i might actually have a TQS rack in the shed.

bouncer117

Sorry I didn't get back to you about the tqs rack, I found an s4 rack going cheap. Although it didn't come with arms.
When I'm replacing the arms what bits do I need? Inner ends, outer ends and boots?
Looking at the drawings of the complete rack there is a 50x2 o ring on each side, do I also need these?

bouncer117

Actually, thining about it, i might actually have a TQS rack in the shed.
Sorry I didn't get back to you about the tqs rack, I found an s4 rack going cheap. Although it didn't come with arms.
When I'm replacing the arms what bits do I need? Inner ends, outer ends and boots?
Looking at the drawings of the complete rack there is a 50x2 o ring on each side, do I also need these?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Pro-cookie

Hi guys, I’m in the same boat here, my rack has a nice little leak. I have found one from a 2.8 tdi Quattro year 2000.
Mine is a 1.8 non turbo fwd year 2000, would the rack fit? I know there are posts here saying they are interchangeable but there are still two types? Which type would mine have?
I have a part number for the rack I have found it’s 0139420701 any help would be appreciated thanks.

VAG-Slag

Hi guys, I’m in the same boat here, my rack has a nice little leak. I have found one from a 2.8 tdi Quattro year 2000.
Mine is a 1.8 non turbo fwd year 2000, would the rack fit? I know there are posts here saying they are interchangeable but there are still two types? Which type would mine have?
I have a part number for the rack I have found it’s 0139420701 any help would be appreciated thanks.

There is no such thing as a 2.8 tdi....

Either way, the rack will be ok you will just have to swap a few of your old pipes onto it. Probably just the feed and return pipes