Steering rack - opinions needed

DJ_26

Reaction score
Right bit of a long one, but please persevere!

So my car has had a yellow steering light (faulty torque sensor) ever since I had some new dampers, struts and CV boots fitted. I think the garage doing the work, did something to disturb the rack/torque sensor and since then it's been showing a fault, as well as not being as nice to drive (power steering still works and it does turn ok, it just requires a bit more of a turn when manoeuvring from a standstill and not as responsive when doing fast movements (probably because it can't register the torque) so it hasn't bothered me too much).

The other day I managed to kerb the rear passenger wheel, whilst cornering (don't ask, I've been driving round that corner for five years and only just clipped it yesterday grrr), which made a bit of a bang and the car shuffled ever so slightly. Car still drove straight. Got home and found that the wheel is kerbed, but it looks as though the wheel is pointing slightly inwards. Thing is the driver side rear (untouched) is also pointing inwards and car is still driving straight, so possibly the car is deliberately set up like this. So feeling a bit paranoid and want to do a wheel alignment. Hopefully I haven't bent anything (wheel or suspension arm).

As it happens, the car could do with 4 new tyres so I reckon a a 4-wheel alignment is due anyway.

Now, if I am thinking of doing a 4-wheel alignment, surely it is a good time to replace the steering rack and then do it all in one go?

I don't really want to spend too much, as the car is 12 years old, and I only plan to keep it for another 1-2 years tops. So I'm tempted to go for a second hand rack rather than pay £300 upwards for a reconditioned rack.

I've seen this second hand rack on eBay that comes with a 90-day warranty for £69.95.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-AUDI...d=401405723577&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

It looks to be a GEN 3 rack (coming off a 2009 A3 1.8 TFSI). My car is a 2005 A3 2.0 TDI. Will it fit ok? I know I will probably need a adaptor harness but other than it should be a straight swap right?

What appears to be missing from the rack pictured? So far I reckon it is just the track rod ends and maybe the inner tie rods and steering boots? Will my existing ones fit in there?

Sorry for all the questions, but any help would be appreciated!

Who knows what they've done.

You need to match your rack part number tbh with the superseded gen 2 or 3 along with the adapter loom.

Get someone with knowledge on vag rack setup, not the previous garage of course.

Who knows what they've done.

You need to match your rack part number tbh with the superseded gen 2 or 3 along with the adapter loom.

Get someone with knowledge on vag rack setup, not the previous garage of course.

Cheers NHN, I will have a chat to parts manager Mike tomorrow and see what he says. It's just that when I look at the companies who are offering gen 3 racks, they say that it will fit pretty much all 2003-2012 models. Think I will also need to confirm if my existing tie rods and boots will still fit.