Start up noise.

Bobbytea

Reaction score
So,

I’ve noticed since after the holiday break my avant has developed a little annoying whine/drone. I think I’ve tracked it down to the steering as this whine/drone noise is constant but the volume increases at low speed when turning left and right or stationary. You can’t hear it from the engine bay with the engine running, and it looks as though the steering pump is very near the bulkhead which would transfer the noise into the cabin.

Once the car is warmed the noise gets quieter, still there but much less so than when the car is cold.

Has anyone else experienced these kinds of noises issues?

Have you checked the power steering fluid level recently?

I think you may have a problem with power steering pump! I had same symptoms on my b7 2.0TFSI, and every time I had to parked up either front or back I have very squeaky noises when turning my wheels. So I had to change my steering pump and done.no more strange noise at all!

Reactions: Bobbytea
I think you may have a problem with power steering pump! I had same symptoms on my b7 2.0TFSI, and every time I had to parked up either front or back I have very squeaky noises when turning my wheels. So I had to change my steering pump and done.no more strange noise at all!

I drained all the power steering fluid and replaced with fresh stuff - noise went away! Hurrah! I love a £15 fix!

Reactions: Charlie Farley and BakPak
my old bus had to have a new pump and steering rack at 35k miles as they were both faulty, nothing surprise me now.