Star Performance Testing Day – Pt3 Power Gasket

Ess_Three

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
The factual bit:

I spent many hours down at Star Performance yesterday…12 hours in fact (08:45-20:45) having a play…testing a few things, having a load of work done, trying out a few things etc.

Firstly, thanks to Jim & Brian…12 hours and two meals later we were all knackered!
Credit where it’s due…anyone looking for decent service, advice and standard of work could do a lot worse than giving them a shout.

Secondly, none of this was free…labour rates, wheel alignment rates, dyno time, replacement parts…all paid for out of my pocket...I have the invoice for over £900 to prove it!!

Thirdly, these are our (mine, Jim’s and Brian’s) observations based upon our findings. All testing carried out with conditions kept as close to previous conditions as possible etc…some will disagree violently, some will agree…that’s your prerogative.

So, off we go:

Now, the NEW South Performance Power Gasket.

A strange beast indeed...promises free power. I very much doubt it...but as anyone who knows me will testify, I very much douby mosr things unless I've seen them proved to work in front of me.

There is too much ******** spoken in this industry...inflated power figures, imaginary gains, huge claims etc...

So back to the gasket:

Available from Awesome GTI...is this gasket
Power Gasket

Note, that's the manucacturere site, not Awesome's!

So, we do a few dyno runs...get a baseline. Then we fit the gasket...warm the car up (don't want false indications of 'up to 5% power increases') and re-dyno a few more times.

The performance...what is the gasket worth?

Absolutely f**k all. Nothing. Nowt. Nadda. Diddly squat.

Did it do anything? Yes...lost me 20 lb-ft of torque due to leaking and bleeding off 0.2 bar of boost!

So after re-tightening the gasket up we dyno's again!
Same same...same boost as before, same power, same torque. No gains...

sure the manifold is cooler to touch...and it doesn't heatsoak as much back from the head...but it gives you NOTHING!

So, anyone with one of these gaskets that's been adding on the 5%...wake up and smell the coffee. The gains just aren't there.

Glen, with the improved I/C setup on your S3, do you think THAT could have contributed to the "No Gains" result? Not arguing mind, just wondering if someone (Like myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif) would see an improvement with, in my case 1, std SMIC? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

What do you think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And I've got to say, these posts show some serious dedication, not to mention out of pocket $$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Thanks for sharing dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Glen, with the improved I/C setup on your S3, do you think THAT could have contributed to the "No Gains" result? Not arguing mind, just wondering if someone (Like myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif) would see an improvement with, in my case 1, std SMIC? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

What do you think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not convinced...
The heat soak that the gasket prevents comes from the head, not the inlet charge.
Technically...the intercooled air will always be cooler than the head (head at 90+ degrees, Inlet charge on standard ICs on a chipped S3 the dyno was 70 ish on mine)...so even then the head is adding heat.

The gasket works in keeping the manifold cooler...of that there is no doubt...you can place both hands on the inlet manifold under load with the turbo pure yellow with heat!!
(as witnesses yesterday...boy, do I wish I'd had my camera!!)

But, it doesn't add any power.

To be honest, myself and Jim are slightly concerned...if the inlet charge air temperature sensor is in the inlet manifold (it is) and you keep the manifold cooler, will the ECU think the engine is less effected by heatsoak?
Would this potentially increase the risk of dammage as the ECU is not protecting quickly enough?
I don't know...
The jury is still out on this matter.....

Either way, it's on now...and it'll be staying on as it's not the easiest job to do.

[ QUOTE ]

And I've got to say, these posts show some serious dedication, not to mention out of pocket $$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True dedication. Or stupidity! Depends on your point of view doesn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for sharing dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

More to come mate!
Sections to Pts 6, 7, 8 and 9 to follow after more road testing...
Subject to be covered include:
Brembo Gran Tourismo brake upgrades
Bilstein Sprint Damper upgrades
Anti Roll Bar upgrades
Camber / toe adjustments...

Watch this space... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Dude, excellent, thanks for the input. I was considering the Gasket, but now, with "Real World" info, think I'll save my $$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I want to ask you about Pulleys, but think I'll start a new thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Dude, excellent, thanks for the input. I was considering the Gasket, but now, with "Real World" info, think I'll save my $$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I want to ask you about Pulleys, but think I'll start a new thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like a waste of £45 and a whole lot of timeto me!

Rich

These type of reports are excellent. Thanks

Is there anywhere on this site that we can store all these type of reviews? It would be good to use as a reference in the future.

Cheers
Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
These type of reports are excellent. Thanks

Is there anywhere on this site that we can store all these type of reviews? It would be good to use as a reference in the future.

Cheers
Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im on to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Excellent information, thanks

Dunc