Standard Head Unit Help Please

Ian W

Reaction score
Hi,

Hoping someone can assist with a couple of head unit issues I am having, head unit is a single din Audi Concert in a 2001 Facelift S3.

Previous owner had fitted an after market double din, when I got the car, the only fault seemed to be that I had no radio reception, I pulled the HU out today and the wiring was a bit of a mess with chopped wires and random extensions but I have cleaned it all up now however I have three issuess:

I still have no radio reception? Checked the obvious thing that the aerial is connected and it is!
My HU is not switching off when I remove the key from the ignition? I'm pretty sure it did before I removed it today :/

Finally, I have this brown wire that I can't figure out where it should go? It comes off the main loom so it must go somewhere? Any ideas?

Thanks!

IMG 20201227 130045

IMG 20201229 143031

Hi,

Hoping someone can assist with a couple of head unit issues I am having, head unit is a single din Audi Concert in a 2001 Facelift S3.

Previous owner had fitted an after market double din, when I got the car, the only fault seemed to be that I had no radio reception, I pulled the HU out today and the wiring was a bit of a mess with chopped wires and random extensions but I have cleaned it all up now however I have three issuess:

I still have no radio reception? Checked the obvious thing that the aerial is connected and it is!
My HU is not switching off when I remove the key from the ignition? I'm pretty sure it did before I removed it today :/

Finally, I have this brown wire that I can't figure out where it should go? It comes off the main loom so it must go somewhere? Any ideas?

Thanks!

View attachment 213937

View attachment 213938
https://cardiagn.com/audi-a3-8l8l1-1997-2008-workshop-manuals-wiring-diagrams/ here is a link to some wiring diagrams hopefully this will be of some use to you.

Sent from Syknet Global Defence Network

Reactions: Ian W
Hi,

Thanks!

View attachment 213937

View attachment 213938
Brown wires are usually ground btw

Sent from Syknet Global Defence Network

Hi mate...see if I can help.

1. No radio reception is usually due to the amplifier in the aerial base dying...

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...e-thread-my-baby-is-home.261997/#post-2678585

2. Audi radio's work on canbus to switch on and off...if the radio is aftermarket, then a separate ignition live feed has to be added.

3. The brown wire in the sleeve with the blue plug normally would have an insulted crimped ring connecter that it screwed to the body of the head unit. The blue plug that the brown wire is sleeved with is the connecter to a cd changer that is usually fitted in the boot behind the passenger side boot trim. If you don't have a cd changer in the boot then that blue plug/brown wire is not needed.

hth

Reactions: Ian W
Thanks for the replies chaps. Made some progress this morning.

Looks like one of the connectors I had used to join the wire that detects the ignition key status wasn't working, so I removed that and soldered the wire, that problem solved.

The brown wire, as suggested appears to be a ground so have connected that to the primary power ground, no functional difference but better than a random wire hanging around.

No radio reception yet but I'm confident that the wiring behind the HU is now factory.

Will check out the thread linked above and look to buy a new base.

Reactions: MPH