Sound comparison - New vs Old - Thoughts?

Which sound best folks ?

• New RS3

• Old RS3

Results are only viewable after voting.

E S Blofeld

Reaction score
No need for me to comment. What do you guys think. New or Old.

Let's be honest the new one deosn't sound bad and if we didn't have the old one for comparison we would probably say it sounds great.

BUT ...

We do have the old one which does sound epic !
Why the heck have Audi both turned the volume down and changed the tone and bangs ?

It was perfect as it was and a stunning factory fit exhaust.
I don't think people who have never owned an RS3 will complain but any of us who have a pre-facelift, this could be something we would miss.

Reactions: Radman
I have never owned the PFL but it does sound good no doubt, there's one round the corner from me with a sports exhaust.
However those PFL bangs on down shift are a little boy racer-ish !!
TBH I am glad they have toned down the FL, but it does sound (listening to the internet vids) better over the whole rev range compared to the PFL.
Quite glad when my FL arrives and the exhaust isn't banging all the way around town with a look at that boy racer twxt !!
NB I am late 40's not early 20's !!

Reactions: Radman and Enbarr
I'm about to own one and I hands down will say I'm jealous of the sound on the old one, I hope I don't come across one too often.

I'm about to own one and I hands down will say I'm jealous of the sound on the old one, I hope I don't come across one too often.

It's only the exhaust that is different - the engine will still be the same & hopefully the same howl once you hit 3,500 rpm will be there which is amazing !

You will love it - preFL or FL both will provide endless grins I am sure :yes:

Reactions: Radman and AudiNutta
the preFL sounds better for sure; deeper, more gravelly and more pops....the FL sounds good....not as good, more tinny, not so deep and bassy....but it still has something about it that is very likeable
soon some FL owners are going to start opening up the exhaust and we shall see what its like then...so I patiently wait

We did comment at the time (2015) that Audi had pulled a fast one somehow as it seemed too loud to pass the regs! FL definitely less loud however that might please some people?

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

It's only the exhaust that is different - the engine will still be the same & hopefully the same howl once you hit 3,500 rpm will be there which is amazing !

You will love it - preFL or FL both will provide endless grins I am sure :yes:

I hope I do!

Where I am staying at the moment there are really small, twisty roads with lots of build up walls etc... the S3 has come into its own, totally fallen in love with it.. sounds incredible! Had loads of opportunity to open it up on twisty A roads, most A roads allow you to carry too much speed and get you in trouble, but I've had a great time in West Wales. Will be one of the first places I bring the RS ;)

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
The PFL is clearly deeper in tone and more dramatic.
I'm a little miffed that the FL has lost some of that tone but it will allow me to leave mine in dynamic more of the time without guilt or fear of judgement by my other half.

Reactions: Terminator x, PanamaS3 and AudiNutta
The PFL is clearly deeper in tone and more dramatic.
I'm a little miffed that the FL has lost some of that tone but it will allow me to leave mine in dynamic more of the time without guilt or fear of judgement by my other half.

It sounds more engineered, in a very small way it sound ok.. nice tone but we have bought them for the pure brutality of the 5 cylinder, otherwise you'd buy a V6.

Reactions: PanamaS3
FL is also stupidly loud, a rev match won't really show it.
I love the FL's sound, it sounds more refined and racey to me. The sound has a lot of depth and varies a lot more depending on rpm and throttle. It just doesn't pop and bang loudly at 3.5k-4k rpm downshifts anymore, but it has decent pops at low rpm downshifts around 2-3k rpm which is the new sweet spot.

Also, put the back seats down on the sedan and you can hear the exhaust A LOT better, they completely dampen the sound on the inside.

Had the sedan for 2 months now and I feel like the miles on the exhaust have made it pop more often. Sometimes, I'll even get a single VERY loud pop between the regular pops on downshift, which didn't really happen last month.
Automann on youtube has a nice drive and sound video.

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Snake Pliskin
I hope I do!

Where I am staying at the moment there are really small, twisty roads with lots of build up walls etc... the S3 has come into its own, totally fallen in love with it.. sounds incredible! Had loads of opportunity to open it up on twisty A roads, most A roads allow you to carry too much speed and get you in trouble, but I've had a great time in West Wales. Will be one of the first places I bring the RS ;)

If you're enjoying the S3 soundtrack you will go nuts for the RS symphony :)

Reactions: AudiNutta
I had the pleasure of having a ride in a Range Rover SVR yesterday. I kid you not, it was twice as loud as the RS3. People were literally jumping for cover.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Evotion and Snake Pliskin
FL is also stupidly loud, a rev match won't really show it.
I love the FL's sound, it sounds more refined and racey to me. The sound has a lot of depth and varies a lot more depending on rpm and throttle. It just doesn't pop and bang loudly at 3.5k-4k rpm downshifts anymore, but it has decent pops at low rpm downshifts around 2-3k rpm which is the new sweet spot.

Also, put the back seats down on the sedan and you can hear the exhaust A LOT better, they completely dampen the sound on the inside.

Had the sedan for 2 months now and I feel like the miles on the exhaust have made it pop more often. Sometimes, I'll even get a single VERY loud pop between the regular pops on downshift, which didn't really happen last month.
Automann on youtube has a nice drive and sound video.

I know what you mean about racey, I thought exactly that when I heard it build!

Said it since day one.. Facelift sounds artificial.

I have never owned the PFL but it does sound good no doubt, there's one round the corner from me with a sports exhaust.
However those PFL bangs on down shift are a little boy racer-ish !!
TBH I am glad they have toned down the FL, but it does sound (listening to the internet vids) better over the whole rev range compared to the PFL.
Quite glad when my FL arrives and the exhaust isn't banging all the way around town with a look at that boy racer twxt !!
NB I am late 40's not early 20's !!
I am late 40's and I love it. The noise fits the car imo. But everyone ha s their opinion.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin