Some perspective....

E

Evil Diesel

We are getting bogged down in all of the minor faults developing on these cars (I am to blame as much or more than most) and losing sight of the bigger picture so I went out for a proper hoon this afternoon down some exciting B roads to blow out the cobwebs.

The power and handing on these cars is just unbelievable and, at full chat, set to an epic soundtrack.

I love jumping in the thing and hitting the start button, chopping to dynamic and letting rip - just not going to get tired of it anytime soon. Could Audi handle the customer services side of things better? You bet they could but it takes nothing away from the platform which is just great!

Reactions: dbm, drgav2005, AB RS3 and 11 others
5cyl is life

Reactions: AB RS3, jimojameso, DW81 and 6 others
We are getting bogged down in all of the minor faults developing on these cars (I am to blame as much or more than most) and losing sight of the bigger picture so I went out for a proper hoon this afternoon down some exciting B roads to blow out the cobwebs.

The power and handing on these cars is just unbelievable and, at full chat, set to an epic soundtrack.

I love jumping in the thing and hitting the start button, chopping to dynamic and letting rip - just not going to get tired of it anytime soon. Could Audi handle the customer services side of things better? You bet they could but it takes nothing away from the platform which is just great!

At last......

A positive experience

I agree with you 100%

No point in moaning about things all the time just enjoy the car for what it is.

Reactions: sve170, FBF01, Bristle Hound and 6 others
I look forward to your first hooning report!!!! You aren't going to be disappointed.

Forget the moaning on here - it's all on the margins. Stand back and the car is a treasure - in my opinion, possible the last of its kind.

Reactions: RS4B5, Dan_DJT, deepy and 1 other person
I look forward to your first hooning report!!!! You aren't going to be disappointed.

Forget the moaning on here - it's all on the margins. Stand back and the car is a treasure - in my opinion, possible the last of its kind.
I took mine the other day up through Glenshee into Braemar. Stunning roads. Stunning car.

Reactions: sve170, E15, DW81 and 1 other person
I’m really enjoying mine 5-6 weeks in so far... can’t say I’m disappointed with anything on the car as of yet!

Reguarding handling... the car does feel like a bit of a heavy lump and I’m not as keen to throw it about as much as my previous two cars... that said they were up there with the best handling cars about, a GTR and mk3 Focus RS... I’ll get there eventually so it’s nothing I’m worried about

You need to keep taking it to what you think is the edge and, when you see that is nowhere near the edge, go further! The mechanical grip on these cars is just unbelievable. It needs to go on a track to see where the edge really sits.

Reactions: RS4B5, AB RS3 and Phil3
I’m really enjoying mine 5-6 weeks in so far... can’t say I’m disappointed with anything on the car as of yet!

Reguarding handling... the car does feel like a bit of a heavy lump and I’m not as keen to throw it about as much as my previous two cars... that said they were up there with the best handling cars about, a GTR and mk3 Focus RS... I’ll get there eventually so it’s nothing I’m worried about
Is yours PFL or FL? FL is a big improvement handling wise over the PFL.

Is yours PFL or FL? FL is a big improvement handling wise over the PFL.

FL saloon... I’m not saying the handle isn’t good, it’s comfortably handled everything I’ve threw at it so far... personally I think you can just tell it feels a heavy beast... or should I say heavier than others :icon thumright:

Reactions: D0C
I am still struggling to find a breakaway point on the car - I have been around roundabouts at 60+ - nothing so far. I have done 1.3g in the wet with no sign of breakaway.

I need to take it to a track for my own peace of mind if nothing else.

FL saloon... I’m not saying the handle isn’t good, it’s comfortably handled everything I’ve threw at it so far... personally I think you can just tell it feels a heavy beast... or should I say heavier than others :icon thumright:
Heavier than what, it's only 1500kg?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Quite so - one of the attributes of the RS3 over the others in the RS range, outside the TT perhaps, is its relative nimbleness...(having said that, where is this RS1 they were promising us a couple of years back..?)

I have been away for a couple of months - I had the use of a [V8] R8 on sale or return. Nice car and you get a lot of admirers, but it is heavy and if anything, a tad slower than the RS3, certainly not as lively a drive as the RS3, and not to mention the total lack of storage space!

I sent it back! But it was good and made me realise how generally good is the RS3!

Hopped back into the car for the first time this morning, popped it into dynamic, within half an hour found myself behind a gendarmerie car in the middle of a local town who promptly stopped me with an accusation that 'j'avais coupe le echappe' - I had cut the exhaust pipe! They are not very bright our gendarmes! (I do confess to unnecessarily making few manual changes from second to first..!) But it made me feel good to be back with the pops and crackles!

Reactions: Terminator x
I really didn't like the handling of the PFL on the Pirelli's. I now have Michelin PS4S in 255 up front, H&R springs, H&R rear anti roll bar and it handles miles better. Really chuckable now. Anti roll bar and tyres worked wonders. :)

Reactions: KKOG, AB RS3, Terminator x and 1 other person
I think the biggest complaint is regarding Audi Dealers and how they handle our niggles which is what annoys us most.
I've had my fair share of car issues but over 2 years on am still thoroughly enjoying the car & importantly it still feels: special :icon thumright:
It is easily the best car I have ever owned in terms of driving enjoyment.
Usually after 2 years I am planning my next car and am bored with my car.
Not so with the RS3 and for the first time ever I am planning to keep it a bit longer than my usual 3 year cycle.
I may have to research what an MOT is lol :)

Reactions: KKOG, sve170, AudiNutta and 6 others

I’m meaning when you go round a corner at speed the car ‘feels’ heavy, it ‘feels’ like there is more roll compared to the 2 previous cars I’ve owned... again I’m not saying its a problem with the car, it’s just a matter of getting used to the characteristics of it :icon thumright:

I have got one fault with the car, we’ll its not a fault haha but, there isn’t enough little cubby holes to store things :seenoevil:

Last edited:
I think the biggest complaint is regarding Audi Dealers and how they handle our niggles which is what annoys us most.
I've had my fair share of car issues but over 2 years on am still thoroughly enjoying the car & importantly it still feels: special :icon thumright:
It is easily the best car I have ever owned in terms of driving enjoyment.
Usually after 2 years I am planning my next car and am bored with my car.
Not so with the RS3 and for the first time ever I am planning to keep it a bit longer than my usual 3 year cycle.
I may have to research what an MOT is lol :)

For sure the cars are fantastic!

You’ve hit the nail on the head, the problems are irritating but if they were dealt with efficiently and not dismissed I would never have a complaint.

My Dad has had Audi’s near enough for 13/14 years, he’s now looking at BMW after constant issues with his 64’ A4 Allroad. Such a sad ending, he said they have gone downhill in build and customer friendly aspects. Annoying things like MMI freezing and taking 10 minutes to boot, video footage isn’t enough of the problem and Audi then blame the Bluetooth phone connection to be slowing it :lmfao:
Best bit was they blamed his full Jukebox, but he’s never used it.

A few people have asked what I’m having next because I seem to change my cars every 12 months or so going from the last few (RS3 was always long term though). As Insurance dropped, I upgraded haha.
I honestly don’t know what I’d have, this is at the top of where I can be. I can’t afford an £80k RS6. Maybe still living at home I could stretch to an RS4, but as much as I adore that car the engine puts an immediate halt onto that move. The RS3 is as good as it gets. I’m on day 3 of 4 days in West Wales at the moment, all tight twisty B Roads... all 4 windows down and the car is unreal.

Reactions: sve170, Snake Pliskin, Jonny B and 1 other person
I’ve just had to go over to Huddersfield via Marsden / Slaithwaite to see a customer and my word it’s a beast especially with Pano Roof open for full effect........

Esc completely off it’s such a confidence inspiring car.

Reactions: Ozmosis, Snake Pliskin, Evil Diesel and 2 others
I took mine the other day up through Glenshee into Braemar. Stunning roads. Stunning car.
I was up there on Easter Sunday, driving back from my sons place in Fyfie.
I've driven the road many times and this time was in ......
a Vauxhall combi van!
I did think how good it would be in my RS...
Brilliant road.. .

Reactions: Evil Diesel
Went for a bit of a pointless afternoon hoon to nowhere this afternoon in the surprisingly nice weather. Great opportunity for pan roof open & all windows down (without looking like a tool).

These cars are far louder then you think tbh.

Also, are people turning into pigeons and flapping their arms to try and take off or do they have a problem with me - can't quite work it out?

Reactions: E15, AudiNutta, oli356 and 1 other person
This forum made me think I’d made the wrong decision ordering an rs3....

Luckily this thread has just injected some excitement in me picking the beast up!

Reactions: KKOG, Terminator x, AudiNutta and 3 others
Went for a bit of a pointless afternoon hoon to nowhere this afternoon in the surprisingly nice weather. Great opportunity for pan roof open & all windows down (without looking like a tool).

These cars are far louder then you think tbh.

Also, are people turning into pigeons and flapping their arms to try and take off or do they have a problem with me - can't quite work it out?

It’s true! People definitely react, it’s funny how many turn around and look to see what’s coming. Yesterday I had a whistle from a boy in a bus stop, an “oh my godddd” from 2 boys, half of a cinema turn and stare. I think one in every 3 of the cars that passed were turning and staring.

These cars get so much attention for what it is it’s hard to believe.

The sound is immense.

Reactions: DW81, millsy75, Evil Diesel and 1 other person
After the initial 'oh ****, what have I bought', I had my first really enjoyable drive last week and in the grand scheme of things I only have had the rusty hubs to date which really ain't the end of the world.
I've sorted the cold start noise, don't have the rattling flaps, no squealing brakes, no roof rattles although the extra weight really does screw up the handling, no rattling trim and no rusty tail pipes.
And to boot, I really enjoy cleaning the car.
As for the attention it attracts, I was at Cadwell Park last weekend and it certainly turns heads.
Due to the time spent at the dealers and consequent lost time driving my car why they attempted to sort the cold start noise, my local dealer is supplying and fitting carbon mirror covers for the 'inconvenience'
I like that and has restored some faith in Audi.
So all in all, I'm liking the car more and more and feel that a Launch is imminent...

Reactions: DW81, jungle650, Evil Diesel and 1 other person
I have to say I love mine. I made the jump from PFL S3 (which I thought was a great car) to a new FL RS3 and I am totally in love with the 5 cyl engine. Its amazibg how two similar cars from the same lineage can drive and feel so different. The exhaust noise with the performance exhaust in Dynamic and S mode is superb. How people can say they dont turn heads I just dont know. I love the fact that you can poodle along quietly if you want ( perfect for overtaking horses etc) and can also switch the car into a conplete animal, mine crackles and snarls like a proper sports car. Defo sounds like a baby V10. Tunnels are epic!

Reactions: T-800 and Evil Diesel
Oh the tunnels..... Or overpasses for that matter. Who can resist dropping back from the traffic just to gun it?

Reactions: fastolsen, Ozmosis, DW81 and 3 others
Agreed^^^^^^100%.

No moans here.

Just drive the damn thing.

Reactions: Tom_L, millsy75, DW81 and 2 others
Dartford Tunnel and Hatfield Galleria tunnels are the best thus far!! sounds absolutely mental! I also love the multistory car parks, seeing people turning thinking there is gunfire is brilliant.

Dartford Tunnel and Hatfield Galleria tunnels are the best thus far!! sounds absolutely mental! I also love the multistory car parks, seeing people turning thinking there is gunfire is brilliant.
I had forgotten about the Galleria - just 10 mins away from me! Will definitely be heading that way for my next honing session.

Tunnels? Any tunnel or the shortest bridge will do. Hilarious fun! Every. Single. Time.

Also the ESP being off or at least in Sport transforms the car no end. I do not do this all the time, but when I'm in the mood it always does the job!

That's the best thing about the car for me. If you want to pootle, no problemo. Hooning? Bring it on. All at the flick of a switch!

Reactions: Terminator x and T-800