Smoking or Non Smoking.....

Ianski68

Reaction score
So in previous posts i mentioned i had a issue with intermittent smoke from the exhaust. it would smoke atleast once on every journey, random times but only when slow speeds as when in traffic etc. 5-10 min and it would go....No issues regarding performance or any other engine issues.

then my reverse light switch packed up so to turn the sensors and reverse light of i pulled the fuse. This caused the engine management light to come up and the glow plug light to flash constantly. Ran the car like this without any issues for 2 weeks and guess what? NO SMOKE...!

now the other day got my car serviced and new reverse switch fitted, fuse all back and reverse sensors working and now YES the car has the smoking issue again!

how is this connected i can see anything logical in this. But it is an Audi...lol

help please.....Rob may need to take up your offer af a VCDS scan....

Ian what colour is the smoke coming out?

Mine smokes a little whilst it's still warming up and depends on how I'm driving it also. But once warm I may get a little bit once every now and then if I've been driving it slow and then put my foot down. It's not Black smoke so I know it's not over fueling whilst on boost and it's not the blue smoke you would associate with burning oil as since I had my turbo repaired a few months back I haven't used a drop of oil. Oh and I don't have a DPF filter on either but I would say it visually runs a lot cleaner than a Petrol car with a DeCat.

Unless you're seeing excessive oil or fuel consumption I don't think it's that much to worry about.

Have a read of these articles as they explain what they could be....but doesn't mean it is something that's wrong.

https://www.gguymotors.co.nz/faqs/diesel-smoke-wof-failure/

This one is a land-rover engine but still a diesel.

http://www.kent4x4offroading.co.uk/mechanical/smoky-diesel-engines.html

I think mine looks greyish. Doesn't have that oily burnt smell and is not blue tinted.

I have read those articles. For me the wired thing is it stopped for 2 whole weeks when the fuse for reverse lights was pulled. I might leave it a week and pull the fuse. This will prove I guess that there is a link in the circuit to something being controlled on the engine.