sleek solution to running aux wire from head unit?

hebdenwill

Reaction score
hello,

I've installed a Connects2 aux interface adaptor to my A3 Symphony radio and it works great. The only issue is the radio won't sit snugly any more as the wire is there. It's also damaging the wire

199328-409b5062ff1692c5b4272fb33f4be7f9.jpg

Has anyone found a nice way round this? Is there a way to run it under the ashtray or anything? I was thinking I'd file a small groove in the side of the radio to let it sit flat, but I'd rather avoid that if possible!

Attachments

• PXL_20201208_115632860.jpg
    PXL_20201208_115632860.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: MPH
hello,

I've installed a Connects2 aux interface adaptor to my A3 Symphony radio and it works great. The only issue is the radio won't sit snugly any more as the wire is there. It's also damaging the wire

Has anyone found a nice way round this? Is there a way to run it under the ashtray or anything? I was thinking I'd file a small groove in the side of the radio to let it sit flat, but I'd rather avoid that if possible!
Plenty of room behind the ashtray where does the wire coming out of the head unit go to

Sent from Syknet Global Defence Network

As @MPH says...with the stereo out and the ashtray open, you should be able to feed the aux wire over the back of the ashtray and it can sit in there. When I put my first bluetooth in, I put the button inside the ashtray and fed the cable out the back. I did have to bend the top metal ashtray cover slightly to allow the cable to go through without cutting. The ashtray opened and closed fine.

ok cheers guys, I'll have a go doing that then. Is it best to remove the ashtray along with the HU to get a better look at what room you have? an additional problem is that the connects2 box (as far as I can see) needs to sit right at the back of the HU where there's a bit of room, so that shortens the already short cable quite severely

ok cheers guys, I'll have a go doing that then. Is it best to remove the ashtray along with the HU to get a better look at what room you have? an additional problem is that the connects2 box (as far as I can see) needs to sit right at the back of the HU where there's a bit of room, so that shortens the already short cable quite severely
Remove head unit and ashtray to assess the best/shortest route due to wire length to the location required.

Sent from Syknet Global Defence Network

hello,

@hebdenwill where did you locate the connects2 interface out of interest as I have just ordered a Bluetooth version thanks in advance @MPH

As @MPH says...with the stereo out and the ashtray open, you should be able to feed the aux wire over the back of the ashtray and it can sit in there. When I put my first bluetooth in, I put the button inside the ashtray and fed the cable out the back. I did have to bend the top metal ashtray cover slightly to allow the cable to go through without cutting. The ashtray opened and closed fine.
@tcg have you done a mic installation by any chance wondering best position route etc thanks in advance @MPH

I have mate, it's the same as when I did my GPS aerial, here...

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...d-my-baby-is-home.261997/page-12#post-3273648

Here's the text...pictures on link above...

I have a trusty length of old thick mains earthing cable and used it to trace the GPS lead,that way you can use it to thread from interior light to sun visor light aperture,then using the trace wire,pull back the A pillar rubber at the top and thread the trace wire through to the sun visor light.Then it can be ‘eased’ down the pillar and with the passenger side dash cover removed you should be able to feed it through behind the glovebox.From there it can hook up to the other cables heading to the centre console.

hth