Simple phone integration with symphony II

Rogue.Goofball

Reaction score
I've a symphony II and some sort of aux connector so I can play music through my phone...it's klunky, and I don't use it... I'm happy to listen to the radio, cd or tape. What I REALLY need is to connect my phone to the Audi system, so I can make calls handsfree. I suppose bluetooth is the way to go, I want a small discreet (invisible?) device. As simple an interface as possible... I just have a basic steering wheel, no controls - don't particularly want something stuck on my steering, unless it really makes like better than anything else around.

Suggestions please :)

Cheers, I don't mind paying what it takes - within reason :)
That one is within reason. Is it hard to fit, and i had seen a link w=for it in the forum, but when I looked through it seemed to heavily rely on the stereo in the car having a display and phone buttons. Does the symphony II play ball with this... as in will buttons on my stereo function to answer and finish a call. I guess I don't get to see who is calling (only on the phone itself, but my wife wants the phone to stay firmly in my pocket from now on).

It should display everything on your centre screen (DIS) on your instrument cluster. Not sure which you use to answer and cancel calls, on the stereo I think it’s the next track button... you’d need to read up on the instructions prior to buying it. But as far as I’m aware this is your best option.

In terms of installation, I think it’s plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rogue.Goofball
I've a symphony II and some sort of aux connector so I can play music through my phone...it's klunky, and I don't use it...

Suggestions please :)

I’m looking to get something similar to what you have by the sounds of it - what do you have (and what model) as I would be interested in giving it a go to get some other music in my car to help you towards your goal :racer:

You’ll need a MFSW to use the Gateway Pro, if you just want a simple device use the Dension Gateway BT Lite. It’s what I used before I put the MFSW in and it works really well :icon thumright:

http://shop.dension.com/en/gateway-lite-bt

Last edited:
Reactions: S3AMJ
You’ll need a MFSW to use the Gateway Pro, if you just want a simple device use the Dension Gateway BT Lite. It’s what I used before I put the MFSW in and it works really well :icon thumright:

http://shop.dension.com/en/gateway-lite-bt

My bad, I knew it was a dension you recommended dude. Didn’t realise the Pro needed MFSW. Good save

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MFSW.... multi-function steering wheel. Yep don't have one, and don't plan any massive re-work of the car :) Thanks Warren for that catch.

Looking on Denison there is the "Gateway Lite BT", "Car Dock 2 for iPhone" & "Compact BT". Price wise they are similar - almost half that of the PRO. So from a price point of view any of them are good.
Does anyone on here have experience of a couple of these, and say which is better / worse / different (why) - Just to guide me in my choice.

I have the connects 2 in my car.

Tiny unit, completely plug and play and is easy hidden behind the radio / glovebox.

It replaces the CD multichanger input so you cannot have both.

Very basic in its operation you will still have to use your phone to control tracks, answer calls etc.

However its very simple and allows me to keep the OEM Audo cassette radio, but also stream music via bluetooth when driving.

Cheers Hendo. As its more the phone I want to keep handsfree, based on your summary it will be a Denison I go for. Assuming they really do allow a more hands free phone operation - using the buttons on the radio (afaik).

The BT Lite is still a basic unit, music will be controlled through your phone but it does give you the ability to answer and end calls using the fast forward and rewind buttons. From my research at the time though it’s as good as you’re going to get with that particular head unit.

Before I changed from a Symphony II to a RNS-E I had a really basic Motorola handsfree kit hidden and wired into the stereo so it cut the sound and broadcast through a speaker...a bit clunky sometimes and only really used for receiving calls.I've just taken it out to hopefully put in oem one...

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...ad-my-baby-is-home.261997/page-3#post-2766711

For music I have a Phatbox in the boot(60gb mp3)...I love it but that has to go as no need with a RNS-E.

No track info but audible playlist info,works great with the Symphony II,unfortunately not with the RNS-E...

http://vid281.photobucket.com/album...0211_zpsxj7ftors.mp4?hotlinkfix=1543780189230

Hope the link works...this is not a sales pitch as would be wrong in this thread but an alternative to consider.

Before I changed from a Symphony II to a RNS-E I had a really basic Motorola handsfree kit hidden and wired into the stereo so it cut the sound and broadcast through a speaker...a bit clunky sometimes and only really used for receiving calls...
Cheers tcg. I remember seeing that post of yours a while back and thinking it was nifty getting some use from the ashtray. In a previous life I would have been doing things like this, (amongst other things I retrofitted heated seats into my old Honda Del Sol, which was fun), but want the easy life now - don't want to be chopping wires if I can avoid it.

Reactions: tcg
For bluetooth,maybe a better solution could be a used Parrot bluetooth from ebay?