Signs of cam follower

Moxy89

Reaction score
is there any signs that cam follower is going or is the only way to check,

My car has just hit 20k and been mapped around 1.5k ago, it has a tiny flat spot and someone said its due to the cam follower going, I though the only way was to check and it wouldn't affect the drive of the car until it's broke

Only way is to check, also gives you peace of mind. The flat spot will be unrelated to the cam follower. Mapping you car is not really going to accelerate cam follower wear unless you have had a high pressure fuel pump fitted at the same time.

Remove the pump & check, if it goes through, the cam can get damaged.

It's an easy job to remove and check/replace anyways so worth doing for peace of mind... When I put a screwdriver on the pump and had a listen mine was a bit noisy so I changed it and it seems to have quietened down nicely although there wasn't any wear at all on mine really...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me what the average price to have the cam follower fitted.I am due a service this month so may get this done.

About £30 for the cam follower and a out 30 mins labour I would say mate

Reactions: Ollie2014
is there any signs that cam follower is going or is the only way to check,

My car has just hit 20k and been mapped around 1.5k ago, it has a tiny flat spot and someone said its due to the cam follower going, I though the only way was to check and it wouldn't affect the drive of the car until it's broke
A video on HPFP removal and cam follower check.

Reactions: Ollie2014