Should I just break it?

JudderMan

Reaction score
Having a bit of a dilemma with my 8l. I fix it, something else breaks and so on. Most of my posts have been problems with my car and having just spent a few hundred quid on it I don't know weather it's worth keeping it or breaking it and get more money?

I'm not afraid of old cars, I've only ever had classics before this....it's my youngest car in fact but with a baby due next month my priorities have changed slightly.

So do you reckon there is the demand for parts? Cloth recaros, 128k, climate control, 4 New tyres on mk1 tt wheels, New bosche battery nor even fitted, catch can, only the bodywork lets it down really....rusty doors and idiots have managed to dint and scratch every panel. I have a dp and decat too and 5 spare sport wheels.

If I sold it I'd probably get 400 quid because of the bodywork but is there a demand for bits? Is it worth the hassle? I have a garage that I could house the parts but time isn't on my side....unless I could strip most parts in a few days?

That has crossed my mind but I'd rather buy a dc2 as a fun car and am looking at a4 3.0tdi for everyday stuff....but I don't feel that I'm finished with the a3 but it's just not doing itself any favours it feels 15 years older than it is....

DC2's are like £3k, gawd knows what an EK9 is these days.

Anyway, after your idea it got me thinking about whether turning it into a track car would be a good idea. My mate does a lot of trackdays and has a fairly standard 172 Cup (he's owned a Trophy, 182, Megane R26 and has bikes too) and reckons the lightness of the 172 is better on track than the others....this makes me think that a lardy A3 (5 door remember) would be a bit dull...

However, stick that decat and DP on that I've been meaning to for over a year, get it mapped and throw on some JOMs for <£200 and get some decent brakes, and it could be worth it. I'd empty it and try and sell the interior parts (would they sell? That was the whole point of the post TBH) to fund the brakes and suspension.

I wouldn't go mental, just have it lighter rather than adding crazy expensive parts ->circa 1100kg with 215bhp should be perky enough. I reckon the clutch and turbo will be on their way out too, especially with the added stress of track time. But, it does feel like I'm trying to flog (track) a dead/dying horse.

I do know what my next car will be and that's an b6 S4 with LPG. If I can find a b7 S4 then I'll get that but for the money b6's are they make perfect sense at the moment to scratch my v8 itch. Buying on July 1st so if you know any being sold lemme know.

I still don't know about the A3 though.. I have a garage that it could sit in, but like I said with a baby coming next month (or even this month) I dunno whether I'd get away on track much if at all and would anyone buy a track ready rusty A3?

If I was you, I would just get the s4 you want and flog the a3........ Don't chuck money at it or save it in garage. Especially if you got a kid on the way.

Track car! I'm breaking my S3 to finish my track car!

Cheers guys.....I gone backwards now on the S4 idea. Spoke to my mate that has an S3 and he drove an S4 (cab, but still) the other day and said it was dog slow compared to his S3 (circa 260bhp). Said he needed to nail it as there wasn't much torque!!!

Plus.....I've just put my new wheels on, cleaned it inside and out, sorted a few niggles apart from the lambda and I kinda like it again...

Pics -> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/41132-post-pics-your-a3-s3-98.html#post2137916

Might keep it as my daily as nothing else does 40mpg (at a push), fairly quick and good at overtaking, comfy as hell on a motorway (especially the Recaros) and has just started to become fairly cheap to insure for me (odd that I'm nearly 31 and paying £700+ for insurance, but hey-ho).

AND, my mate with the S3 his bro-in-law wants it so I said in July when I'm most likely to get another car I'll sell him it. If I can get back what I paid for it £1000, then I'd be super-happy and that would mean I'd have £4-5k towards a different car. I'm half tempted to keep the A3 and tick off my need to own a V8, V6 and a turbo RWD car and buy and sell until I've got over them. If by next year I have ticked those boxes, then I'll be looking at buying a TVR Cerb, then a Porsche 996/B7 RS4 and settle on a 997 once the baby is 2-3 years old - as it seems that small kids fit snugly in 911s ;) and 997s are at 20k now but in 3 years time I'm hoping they will be closer to 12-14k. Once she's older I'll run two cars.

Good idea? Bad idea? If all goes to plan business-wise, which it certainly is at the moment, I'll be able to buy some tasty motors every 3 months - which backs up my V8 etc etc type cars, keeping them for 3 months and hopefully not lose any money on them (or even make some).