1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Scratches on side window (factory tint)

El-Cap Mar 15, 2020

1. El-Cap

El-Cap Registered User

Noticed small scratches in the rear passenger window- really shows up in the sun. Looks like the tint has been scratched. Is that possible? Is factory tint allows externally?

Tried polishing the glass with CarPro CeriGlass which hasn’t made much difference. Any ideas? Car is a 2019 Vorsprung A7.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Syncros

Syncros Reactive Member

'Privacy glass' is specially made, a dark pigment is added to the blend during the manufacturing process to achieve a given level of VLT. It's an electronic process called 'deep dipping' and as such cannot be removed. It sounds like the glass itself has been scratched.

El-Cap likes this.
  4. El-Cap

El-Cap Registered User

Thanks for that. The glass is definitely scratched - but I thought it was in a tint but obviously not. Not sure if it will need replaced or whether if such things can be repaired?

5. 123Quattro

123Quattro Guest

Ceriglass (cerium oxide) needs a rayon pad and a rotary polisher and a medium speed. Doing it by hand or with a DA will take ages. Automotive Glass is seriously hard stuff.

Get more aggressive with it. Some windshield places will also offer this as a service if you re timid of doing it yourself.

El-Cap and jassyo06 like this.
  6. El-Cap

El-Cap Registered User

Thanks! I am working at it with a small hand pad - probably not the right tool for the job!

123Quattro likes this.
  7. tcardio

tcardio Registered User

Be you Superman it would be says yoda

8. DW81

DW81 Registered User

I though polishing scratches out of glass is near on impossible to do because how hard the glass is to correct.

9. 123Quattro

123Quattro Guest

Polishing scratches is possible if they aren't too deep, but it takes a rotary polished and a very aggressive rayon pad and cerium oxide to cut into it.