SatNav weirdness

Johnpaddy

Reaction score
I have found the SatNav to be a bit unreliable. I have it set to give me the fastest route but it seems to want me to go via small roads rather than motorways, even though I have allowed motorways in teh setup. The other day I was driving to Northwood in NorthWest London from Ramsgate.It chose to go via the Dartford crossing and estimated the journey time at 2.5 hours. After passing through the tunnel it suggested the A13 which I ignored and the journey time went down 12 minutes. It constantly wanted me to get off the M25, and every time I ignored it the time went down, eventually reducing to 1 hour 59 minutes which was the time it actually took!

I was hoping the Vignette setting I had enabled was an invitation to choose the smallest road possible but other posts suggest it is to do with European toll roads. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so is there a setting to actually choose the fastest route in such a way that it will only deviate if there is a real hold up.

It may be dynamically routing you based on traffic conditions.

Try turning off traffic routing to see if the more obvious fastest routes re-appear.

I'll try that and report back. I'm going from Ramsgate to Leeds soon which should be a good test.

Yup - I've learned to trust the sat nav now after a few times ignoring it, telling myself it doesn't know what it's talking about... only to turn the corner and be stuck in a massive traffic jam!

Reactions: The Challinor
I have noticed some weird things that I can only think are down to it being a bad product. I mean the sat nav is ok, but not worth the money compared to a tomtom or even the free google maps on android.

I often find my ETA jumps drasticly to tell me I will be arriving some 2 or 3 hours late!, then 15 mins later its back to normal. anyone else notice this?