Sat Nav on Roads Not On Map?

sukrw

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Is this normal?

Driving along with the Map on the display and all is fine - the little arrow follows my journey correctly. When I drive along a road that is not yet on the maps (new road network by a super market) the sat nav throws a wobble and I find it is driving through a field - ok the road on the DB does not exist so it can't "follow" it but when I then come back to roads that are on the DB it never recovers. It carries on showing me driving several miles from where I am. The satellite count shows 0.

When back on "known" roads, I can try resetting the MMI - no joy, stop the car and turn off the ignition and back on - no joy - still "lost" in a field. I carry on my drive home (another 15 mins) and it never works out where I am now or finds any satellites - it always shows 0 satellites.

It is usually ok the next morning when I come to drive to work again (but not always).

Anyone else found this or know how to fix it?

The car is going in to the dealers on Tuesday for them to fault find and see what they can see if anything is not working etc.

Thanks

Just an update if it helps anyone who has similar issues

Car went into dealers, ended up there 3 days. They found no errors but upgraded the maps. Once updated the system threw up an error fault in the ariel. So they fitted a new ariel and roof cap. All working fine now. All covered on the warranty.

Job well done. Dealers were very helpful and friendly.

Common fault with the roof mounted GPS antennas - across all models. Water ingress damages the GPS chip.

The Audi GPS system tries to "remember" where it's last position fix was, then tries to figure out where it is based on distance travelled since last fix. Usually ends up totally screwed up.

Replacement of roof antenna is the only fix (or you use a 3rd party GPS antenna with a FAKRA connection)

Yes they said the rubber gasket might have gone and was allowing water into the electronics. Sounds common as you say.

Pleased with the dealers and the job they have done. Fingers crossed it will survive a few more years!

Reactions: RAF_S7