Safely test for slipping clutch

mixxy

Reaction score
Hi
Had my 04 A4 Avant tdi sport for around a week, now getting use to it
On saturday when it was fairly hot day i joined the motorway and put my foot down and changed up to third
and the rev's rose and fell and the car jumped, at first i though i was riding the clutch

I could repeat this in 4th and 5th and even 6th around 2000rpm, even when overtaking ( assume peak torque )
I got the car from a local garage and hes confirmed it all covered and is book it to have the clutch and flywheel changed

So I have been taking it easy and crusing and being easy on the clutch as I was worried the DMF might pack up
Today after work I was forced to speed up quickly to join the a14 and the car was fine, no slip at all - i dont want to go mad so did try a few hard-ish accelerations in 3rd and 4th and it was fine.

So now im confused, Id rather not have them take it apart and say theres nothing wrong and try and bill me

Im assuming the hard drive and hot weather may have given me an early warning ?

PS cars a standard 130, no remaps 116000 miles

are you paying for it your self ? any way the guy at the garage should no how to test for slipping clutch to be fair and if you trust them should not rip you off. it may have been the oil seal witch let a bit of oil slip out this could make it slip if i remember correctly one way to test the clutch is to put it in 2nd low revs and let the clutch up this will make it slip if its going to. sure some of the other guys will help more ;-)

Mine started like that I even tried to make it slip and next day it would be perfect then next week it was ad again...I had lots of Greece contamination of the DMf on mine... I also changed rear mains whilst stripped

Get into 5th gear at about 40mph so around 2000rpm and floor it.
You'll see the engine rev but the car will hardly gain any speed.
This will show any clutch that's slip. Just do it the once otherwise you'll just burn it out.
This is how we test for slipping clutches

No only just got the car so have 3 months cover and they'e confirmed it would be paid for including replacing the dmf.
I'll drive steady for now and leave it for them
Hopefully its a clear clutch change and not a seal leaking

really would not worry about it then mate its not costing you any thing but time ;-) even if its the seal leaking thats not a big job when they have the clutch out any way may also be part of there to do list save it coming back

I would snap their hand off.... they are changing it under warranty as you have only just bought it so get yaself a new clutch and flywheel for free and then head off to the nearest remappers :)

Mine did exactly the same thing. Did it once and I couldn't get it to do it again.
Had to change the clutch as I do a lot of motorway miles and have to have piece of mind. Funny thing is it slipped again after fitting the new clutch but only the once and has been fine since (about a month).
If its under warranty get it changed!