S6 Timing Belt Replacement

btjtaylor

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently taken ownership of a 2000 C5 S6 Avant

The car is high mileage (210k) but it's really amazing condition, especially considering the mileage, previous owners have spent a lot of time and money fixing a lot of the usual C5 platform issues (e.g. it's had 2 gearbox rebuilds, second one around 10k ago, and all of the front suspension parts that usually wear have been replaced).

I've sorted out a load of small but annoying issues myself (Passenger door lock bouncing, various cosmetic bits), and the car is running well. I've just got the bits today to give it an oil and filter change, hopefully get chance this weekend.

Looking through the history, the car had a timing belt in 2011 at around 140k miles, so I think it's a good idea to change it soon.

I had a quote from a local audi indie for £1300 parts/labour for timing belt kit and water pump which to be honest I don't think is that far off the mark for genuine Audi parts but its a lot of money to spend on a car that isn't worth that much more.

Searching online I found a few aftermarket options - on autodoc.co.uk they have a Continental brand timing belt/water pump kit for £305 inc

What does everyone here think of using this aftermarket kit? I don't mind using aftermarket parts if they're good quality - I don't want to use bargain basement parts but if it's possible to get equivalent quality for significantly less then I have no issues with that - and is the job doable as a DIY mechanic?

Thanks in advance for any assistance