S5 would not start at all.

gopisharma

Reaction score
Good morning gurus,
Apologies in advance for a long post but need some advice.
60 Plate, Audi S5 V6 3 litre petrol.
Car had started with jump start from recovery service (was sitting at one place for around 2 months) and took it for a small ride. Just around 2 miles on the road, applied the break as was reaching round about,
car stopped with no noise and engine shut completely. Great got stuck in drive, key got stuck and would not come out, no electric or lights in the car whatsoever. Hazards would not come on either.
Called the recovery service, with additional battery, they could bring gear out of drive mode, dash board would light up and so side lights but car would not start. Looked like it made no attempt to start whatsoever as it was not making any noise.
One thing more to add here is, when mechanic tried to start with additional battery the jump leads were getting really hot and kind a got to produce smoke at jump lead connection.

Any clues what could be wrong with car? Any pointers would be appreciated? Not sure where to start now as car is parked on the street.

Also, car is in Hounslow at the moment, any decent garage be recommended with latest diagnostic tools to pinpoint the problem please?
Are there any mobile service to check and diagnose the fault?
Looking for suggestion as what would be the best course of action please?

Many thanks in advance.
Bobby

Sounds like there's a huge resistance on the circuit, as leads don't smoke unless the guy had something faulty or did something wrong when trying to start.

Needs plugging in if it has power.

Good morning gurus,
Apologies in advance for a long post but need some advice.
60 Plate, Audi S5 V6 3 litre petrol.
Car had started with jump start from recovery service (was sitting at one place for around 2 months) and took it for a small ride. Just around 2 miles on the road, applied the break as was reaching round about,
car stopped with no noise and engine shut completely. Great got stuck in drive, key got stuck and would not come out, no electric or lights in the car whatsoever. Hazards would not come on either.
Called the recovery service, with additional battery, they could bring gear out of drive mode, dash board would light up and so side lights but car would not start. Looked like it made no attempt to start whatsoever as it was not making any noise.
One thing more to add here is, when mechanic tried to start with additional battery the jump leads were getting really hot and kind a got to produce smoke at jump lead connection.

Any clues what could be wrong with car? Any pointers would be appreciated? Not sure where to start now as car is parked on the street.

Also, car is in Hounslow at the moment, any decent garage be recommended with latest diagnostic tools to pinpoint the problem please?
Are there any mobile service to check and diagnose the fault?
Looking for suggestion as what would be the best course of action please?

Many thanks in advance.
Bobby
Sounds like there's a huge resistance on the circuit, as leads don't smoke unless the guy had something faulty or did something wrong when trying to start.

Thank you for youe reply. I guess that's what I am looking for to staart

Thank you for your reply HHN. I guess that's what I am looking for to start with if someone can plug is latest gadget, software or tools and diagnose actually to see where the trouble lies before deciding the garage to tow the car to

Are there any mobile services for the same? If anyone here know those service providers?
Thank you.

I am mobile, but understand nobody can diagnose this & give an evaluation of time without working on the car, even then it's not going to be necessarily that simple, could be a multitude of things & on these types of things I only quote people a callout fee & hourly rate as it's going into something blind, so to speak.

If it had an old battery and had not been started for 2 months then deep discharge is likely. I would agree that battery damage is a distinct possibility - it could be draining the jumper battery too much to enable the starter and maybe enough to heat the leads. The first step has to be to replace the battery, even with a used but living one just to see if that the problem or its something else.

I am mobile, but understand nobody can diagnose this & give an evaluation of time without working on the car, even then it's not going to be necessarily that simple, could be a multitude of things & on these types of things I only quote people a callout fee & hourly rate as it's going into something blind, so to speak.
Thank you, what are you charges if you can let

Thank you. Can I please confirm that, would you have a decent spare battery to check as people suggested above?
And also test and isolate the problem if it is alternator or starter motor or any electric short circuits?
What would be your charges please to start with ?
Thank you.

T

Thanks