S4 Vs Boxster 70-145mph

SonicDeathmonkey

Reaction score
I was "on the track" the other day, when a boxster was in front of me, both pootling along at 70. I put my foot down to overtake and he pulled out behind me, where he stayed right up until 145 or so.

I was not really expecting that, given the new lease of life my car has has since the new EGTs and throttle body, especially towards the top end.

Does anyone have any smilar experience?

i dont really understand what your asking.. has any 1 else had there car too 145 or has any 1 else raced a boxter?

im not being picky im genuinly askin as i dont understand what your asking.

Ok, I was asking is this normal?

I would have thought that towards the top end I would have pulled away. After all, power to weight only goes so far. Then it's all horse power and aerodynamics.

I have never had my car that fast, 135ish is as fast as i have needed to go to prove my point so far, i really need to see what she will do one day

Would have expected you to have pulled away from a Boxter.

Were you in 6th the whole time or did you shift down?

boxster may have been tweaked a bit??

ok.... you have a s4... i have a sport... i have seen 157-8. is that normal??

i was on the m2 private raceway (lol) playing with a m3. i would quite happly do it again to get the proof.

i assumed the cars ment to do that speed??

And taking a look at the following link, I very much doubt if that Porker was tweaked... £3500 for 20bhp and 20lb/ft - http://www.amdtechnik.com/products.variant.cfm?variantid=125

We don't know how lucky we are!

Also says on there that a standard Boxster is 250-260bhp, which is about the same as a standard S4, so if you don't have a remap, I wouldn't be too upset!
And like you said, at that speed it comes down to power and aerodynamics. Think Porsche know their stuff when it comes to aerodynamics!

he was also behind you, meaning hes got the advantage of the slipstream generated by your car.

But at the end of the day, similar power output and weight, hes going to have stuck with you. Wouldnt have thaught he'd have been able to pass you though.

I assume it was a Boxter S, the more powerful version. I chased a normal Boxster a few years ago in my good old Rover 220 Turbo coupe, with just a bleed valve and filter, and sat up his **** to 145mph, he wasn't best pleased! Shouldn't have bought a girls car then should he.......

Yeah, maybe a little out.... don't 1.8ts do like 130mph max? 140ish in a sport?

I got my old evo 6 reading 165mph on the speedo and they're limited to 155mph. Private road of course.......

Ok, I was asking is this normal?

I would have thought that towards the top end I would have pulled away. After all, power to weight only goes so far. Then it's all horse power and aerodynamics.

I'm not surprised by this at all...

I spent a summer in Europe a few years ago with my B5 S4 (330bhp) my friends EVO 4 (300bhp) and a 911 964 (250bhp).

The 911 would keep up with both to 160mph.

The 911 (and boxster) produce all of their power at the top end and being normally aspirated they can do it for hours and hours... Plus they are both very aerodynamic with a very low front end drag CE. Added to this Porsche are pessimistic with their power figures (most make more than they should)

The S4 on the other hand isn't that aerodynamic, produces more torque than power and falls away at the top end due to the small turbos and heat soak. They are fast in gear - but strung out to high speeds the power degrades.

My S3 was heavily modded to make 280bhp and 335lbft - it wouldn't do it for long though (despite several intercoolers) - I would guess that on track it lost 30bhp and 50lbft after a few laps.

My 993 911 has 285bhp and 260lbft and is significantly faster than the S3.

Don't beleive the figures and the hype - a proper NA car will be a lot faster than the data suggests - as you have found out.

I'm assuming your S4 is standard?

A Standard new shape boxster is 240bhp (2.7) and the S is 280bhp (3.2).

If it was the S behind you, I'm more than happy that he stayed with you up to 145mph. Tbh I would even expect that an S has a higher top speed too.

N

ooh that reminds me..cant wait to pickup the NA beast haha!

alpinehead, i think your speedo needs fixing?

pass mate... if its anything like my mk2 golfs speedo it prob does. shame i didnt have my tomtom on. (not that i was stairing at the speedo at that speed) i can assure youit was deffo past the 150 mark.

:icon_thumright:

My qs (180bhp) is pretty much maxed out on the level at an indicated 147ish.
I have slightly smaller radius tyres to standard so my speedo will be touch more optimistic than normal.
Without GPS to confirm, I'd guess somewhere around a true 140, which seems about right given the official figure when new was 145.
Unless it's tweeked, a normal 1.8T 150 should push around 135 max.

im seriously intreged now. i assumed the 1.8ts done that sortta speed, sware down i had that speedo past 150mph, it would be very foolish of me to try and blag you guys who all own the same car!!! lol a few of my mates have been tellin me my cars rapid, i compleatly mince my m8s 05 a3 1.8t, and can keep up with my other mates scoobi. im starting to think my car is not standerd from what you guys are saying. the turbo has been changed on it on the past, could it be possable i have a ko3s? all i have done is a cold Ram air induction, forge rdv, n75j valve. but even a ko3s is only going to give me 30bhp?? rolling road time i thinks, i need to get that speedo round to 150 on the rollers for an accurate speed. Its deffo going to be on rollers for that as i got 3 points yesterday! ooppps.

Well, I was still pulling relatively strong at 145... Never gone head to head with any other A4/S4 though, so it's difficult for me to say how they would compare, but I guess not too well is the answer.

But you won't have any wind resistance on the rollers, so it would be pointless.

I'd be able to hit 200 on the rollers with mine!

true true... well next time im on that "private road" again i will get some 1 to take a pic of the satnav next to speedo. lol

Very intersting tho.

I had my 180bhp 1.8tqs up to a 145mph on a track, long slow dip and a slight rise, took my foot of the gas as it was getting a bit scary.
hill will have assisted a bit but sure it would get to 150 with some more balls on the same road...I mean straight [cough]

Maybe the drag from my 245 tyres slows me down a tad at full chat.:think:
Will have to swap back to the Boleros and 225s and see what I can max at between 'Galgenkopf' and 'Antoniusbuche'... ;)