Help Please S4 super charger belt replacement

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Hi

Looking to replace my super charger belt on a 2011 s4 b8 avant.

I’m lead to understand this needs done at 60,000 miles

Been quoted £40 for the belt and 5 hours labour from glasgow Audi £500!!!

Surely this isn’t a 5 hour job?

Any help or advice appreciated

Matt

Attachments

• CC4DC4BB-CED0-4C51-BB40-015D3337136F.jpeg
    CC4DC4BB-CED0-4C51-BB40-015D3337136F.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 250
That’s daylight robbery unless their changing more than just the belt?

A good quality belt, I used a Gates belt is around £20 and it’s about 15mins work cos it’s a little fiddly holding the tensioner over while you get the belt on the ribbed pulleys correctly.

Reactions: Meemo
Thanks for getting back and merry Christmas!

Yes I thought that

Not sure if the girl I spoke to heard that I wanted the supercharger replaced and I suppose £500 and 5 hours would be about right..

I think I will give them a call back and clarify ...

Cheers!

I know it's more money and hassle but I'd replace the tensioner as well. I know it's not that common for the tensioner to fail but the risk goes up as the miles go on. If you put the car in the service position its easy just to do the whole lot.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know the fixing bolt torques for the idlers and tensioners, I'm guessing that they will be the same for both the supercharger belt and the auxiliary belt?

Does anyone know the fixing bolt torques for the idlers and tensioners, I'm guessing that they will be the same for both the supercharger belt and the auxiliary belt?
40NM If remember correctly

Thanks, I keep meaning to "get into" Erwin to find these things out, but so far after having a failed time session on the SEAT area, I've not returned for any Audi information.

Do you use Erwin or another source for torques etc?

Thanks, I keep meaning to "get into" Erwin to find these things out, but so far after having a failed time session on the SEAT area, I've not returned for any Audi information.

Do you use Erwin or another source for torques etc?
I just use this m8
https://workshop-manuals.com/audi/
Not the best but it's enough for what I need

I tried looking in that one before, but I can't seem to find my way into anything other than the tools area or the "workshop remedial actions" - and I've tried and tried, any clues how to dig deeper, it was the S5 3.0TFSI engine area that I went looking.

I tried looking in that one before, but I can't seem to find my way into anything other than the tools area or the "workshop remedial actions" - and I've tried and tried, any clues how to dig deeper, it was the S5 3.0TFSI engine area that I went looking.
Yeah I know what you mean. For some reason certain things aren't there. I got the torque settings from the A5 3.2 section

Thanks for getting back and merry Christmas!

Yes I thought that

Not sure if the girl I spoke to heard that I wanted the supercharger replaced and I suppose £500 and 5 hours would be about right..

I think I will give them a call back and clarify ...

Cheers!

Did you ever find out if Audi Glasgow were trying to rip you off or if the quoted amount was a case of miscommunication?

Seeing as I have not yet got round to replacing the supercharger belt on my 2011 S4, mileage extremely minimal by the way, I bought a workshop manual from easymanuals and it is just PDFs of what is in Erwin, but, if I pull the front out into the service position, I'd be very tempted to change the auxiliary belt as well. So, for those that have done all this work, do you just reuse the original supercharger idler pulley fixing bolt? The reason that I ask this is, after going through the parts listings for this engine CAKA, of the 2 idlers and 2 tensioners, it is only the supercharger belt tensioner that gets sold as an single item and its bolt as another single item - any clues from actual experience of working on these engine's supercharger belt and/or the auxiliary belt as to why that is that way.

By the way, for those that didn't know, to replace the auxiliary belt, you need to slacken off the supercharger belt idler pulley or remove it as it blocks the access to the auxiliary belt.

Hum, I've just bought a pair of genuine Audi belts for my S4 from a friendly dealer that gives good discount (Lister), and see that the Supercharger belt is manufactured in Indonesia and the Auxiliary belt is manufactured in Thailand - I hope that VW Group are auditing these manufacturers! If I had known about this I would probably just have bought belts that had a tried and trusted EU based manufacturer's name on them - or are they also being manufactured in these overseas countries, don't get me wrong, EU manufactured is not always the best there is, but ------.

Edit:- I remember getting a bit worked up when I bought a genuine VW Group auxiliary belt for my wife's old 9N Polo - only to find that it was a Dayco manufactured in France, at the time I thought that was bad enough, also that belt had its fabric "cut across" the normal run of the material, so the new belt when opened up and placed on a flat surface was bowed - it seemed to do its job though, just not manufactured as strictly intended.