S4 or RS3

Roberto71

Reaction score
Just wanted to see peoples thoughts on this. The two cars are pretty much identical in price. So why go for the S4 over the RS3?

Pros for the S4 is I’m assuming a more pliant car as a day to day driver, better interior, more space and better fuel economy.

The RS3 has the sound though and is even more rapid than the S4, has a better exterior look and well, it’s an RS model.

It’s a nice dilemma to face, that’s for sure!!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
A nice dilemma indeed.

I was considering the new RS3 myself before going to the S4, main reason was space so opted for the Avant, therefore space in the RS3 didn't cut it with the nice big boot and practicality of the S4.

Yes the RS3 is rapid but for me at 44 the S4 just suits me far better with the better quality interior, better ride on our UK roads, the sound in the S4 is a subtle powerful growl, the RS3 sound is just a bit 'in yer face' for my liking!

The S4 Avant is such a lovely package and handsome for a biggish estate...plus I like the look of the 4 exhaust tips more than the big oval RS exhaust....but that won't put me off an RS4 or RS6 in future though ; )

Reactions: SiPie and Thundercliffe81
Went thru the same dielemma when changing my 2016 S3 (long story) to my 2017 S4 different league for comfort, practicality and technology.. engine is amazing fast too, sounds lovely and more inspiring drive then the rs3 for me.

All in my personal opinion. The badge would have been nice . But it’s just a badge

Reactions: Riko0073
A nice dilemma indeed.

I was considering the new RS3 myself before going to the S4, main reason was space so opted for the Avant, therefore space in the RS3 didn't cut it with the nice big boot and practicality of the S4.

Yes the RS3 is rapid but for me at 44 the S4 just suits me far better with the better quality interior, better ride on our UK roads, the sound in the S4 is a subtle powerful growl, the RS3 sound is just a bit 'in yer face' for my liking!

The S4 Avant is such a lovely package and handsome for a biggish estate...plus I like the look of the 4 exhaust tips more than the big oval RS exhaust....but that won't put me off an RS4 or RS6 in future though ; )

I’m a couple of years ahead of you age wise and I agree, the RS3 may be a younger mans car alright. Then again, what’s in an age? But I agree, the nicer interior would swing it for me. I’m due to change next year, I’ve been in BMW’s since 2000, from 3 Series to M3s to 5 Series and now 4 Series. I fancy a brand change and I’ve always liked Audis. Audi are making it very hard though with so many excellent cars. S4, S5, SQ5, new A7 and now I see the new RS4 Avant is just €7K more over here than the S4 Avant.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Riko0073
This is a tough choice, as I think the current B9 S4 is a much better looking car than the previous B8/8.5. Taking it all into account, I think I’d opt for the RS3, mainly because it is an RS. In terms of looks, the RS3 is pretty subtle looking for an RS, but I would need to experience that award winning 5 cylinder engine!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Riko0073
I’m a couple of years ahead of you age wise and I agree, the RS3 may be a younger mans car alright. Then again, what’s in an age? But I agree, the nicer interior would swing it for me. I’m due to change next year, I’ve been in BMW’s since 2000, from 3 Series to M3s to 5 Series and now 4 Series. I fancy a brand change and I’ve always liked Audis. Audi are making it very hard though with so many excellent cars. S4, S5, SQ5, new A7 and now I see the new RS4 Avant is just €7K more over here than the S4 Avant.
Totally with you on the age thing, I class myself as a young 44 and by no means 'past it' for owning an RS or similar ilk of car, however I do get fed up with the ride quality on our UK roads and coming from a 2016 S3 the difference in how the S4 soaks up the potholes and detiorating tarmac is a massive improvement, I can't see the RS3 being any better than the S3 and maybe worse?

Owning an RS would be a massive pleasure and I'm not ruling out an RS4/6 for future but the S4 package makes a very good argument for ticking a lot of boxes (for me), if it wasn't for the 2 kids and 2 dogs then I might well have gone RS3 but the S4 Avant just fits perfectly with my life currently.

You're right about the Audi models on offer right now, I just can't be swayed by any other brand currently and my own experience with my last 2 (and only) Audi's have been great. My Dad had the Audi 2.2 turbo Quattro back in the late 80's/early 90's and I always wanted to have my own Quattro, after owning a plethora of hot hatches through the 90's and 00's...I'm a happy man right now sitting behind the wheel of my Audi S4 Avant : )

Good to hear you’re loving it. People are saying Cara are quite boring these days but the sheer variety of really excellent Cars on offer shows it’s never been better for buyers.

I mean the current RS3 has as much power as the 1st gen R8!! I mean that’s insane.

My PCP ends end of next year and the choices I have is actually too much (classic 1st world problems). I’ve been looking at all the below.

Porsche 718 Cayman
Porsche Macan S
BMW M2
BMW X3 M40i
BMW 440i
BMW 530d X Drive
Audi RS3
Audi RS4
Audi S4
Audi S5
Audi SQ5

And there’s others like the new A7 which is a peach.

Too much choice!!

Practicality wouldn't be an issue for me

So the 5 pot wins hands down !

But everyones different and has different needs

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Daggerit
Good to hear you’re loving it. People are saying Cara are quite boring these days but the sheer variety of really excellent Cars on offer shows it’s never been better for buyers.

I mean the current RS3 has as much power as the 1st gen R8!! I mean that’s insane.

My PCP ends end of next year and the choices I have is actually too much (classic 1st world problems). I’ve been looking at all the below.

Porsche 718 Cayman
Porsche Macan S
BMW M2
BMW X3 M40i
BMW 440i
BMW 530d X Drive
Audi RS3
Audi RS4
Audi S4
Audi S5
Audi SQ5

Too much choice!!
Wow, that's a wide spectrum of choices...2 seater sports car, hot saloons to SUV's...not sure how you narrow that down but will be fun trying with lots of test drives!

Porsche 718 Cayman
Porsche Macan S
BMW M2
BMW X3 M40i
BMW 440i
BMW 530d X Drive
Audi RS3
Audi RS4
Audi S4
Audi S5
Audi SQ5

Decisions decisions....

The RS4 would be the hardest to resist, but if the budget could stretch to a Macan GTS, then that would be a great all rounder as a daily. Don’t know how the likes of the Cayman and M2 would rate as a daily. It’s a nice dilemma to have.

Decisions decisions....

The RS4 would be the hardest to resist, but if the budget could stretch to a Macan GTS, then that would be a great all rounder as a daily. Don’t know how the likes of the Cayman and M2 would rate as a daily. It’s a nice dilemma to have.

The Macan GTS is too expensive, it’s €105K here which is GBP£93K. Great car though.

We have to be wary of the tax levels here. On an S4, it starts with the 18in wheels. If you choose the 19in it brings the CO2 emissions higher and into another tax band and adds €5K to the cars price and means that every option is more expensive as well. The Netherlands is the same I think. It’s a pain. Road tax changes as well.

The RS3 is good in that regard as it’s €750 a year whereas the M2 is €1200 a year.

Reactions: Gary_LB
I think you have nailed the pros and cons rather well.

The RS3 will tickle your senses more. The 5-pot is an epic engine. The sound is glorious when you mash the accelerator and launch control is ferocious. It will also sit flatter through the corners when pushing hard and is more nimble.

I’d definitely go for the RS3 if you were after the fun factor.

My lease is up on my pre-facelift RS3 mid next year and I seriously considered upgrading to the new one. After the test drive I walked away thinking there was not a huge difference compared to my car and at this point considered a change.

The dealer then gave me an S4 Avant for the long weekend. I drove it for about 200km and with every km I put on it, it grew on me. The ride was very comfortable compared to the RS3, and although the interior is more restrained than the RS3, it is more luxurious.

End result: S4 Avant on order.

Reactions: leedodds1, Thundercliffe81 and Riko0073
I think you have nailed the pros and cons rather well.

The RS3 will tickle your senses more. The 5-pot is an epic engine. The sound is glorious when you mash the accelerator and launch control is ferocious. It will also sit flatter through the corners when pushing hard and is more nimble.

I’d definitely go for the RS3 if you were after the fun factor.

My lease is up on my pre-facelift RS3 mid next year and I seriously considered upgrading to the new one. After the test drive I walked away thinking there was not a huge difference compared to my car and at this point considered a change.

The dealer then gave me an S4 Avant for the long weekend. I drove it for about 200km and with every km I put on it, it grew on me. The ride was very comfortable compared to the RS3, and although the interior is more restrained than the RS3, it is more luxurious.

End result: S4 Avant on order.
You won't be disappointed, S4 Avant is an awesome all rounder, I'm loving the big boot that offers great practicality but it's still a weapon when you want some fun...have you spec'd sport diff? I would definitely recommend.

Reactions: Daggerit
I added the sport diff on the original build , but removed it yesterday when I placed the order. Shoot me!

I can still change it as I have requested a Jan ‘18 build. In all honesty though, I’m done with beating my cars to death. My RS3 sits on 15L/100km (18mpg), I change tyres (fronts) every 10K kms (6000 miles) and my
oil needs a little topping up before scheduled services. I have tracked at Philip Island (Melbourne).

My previous car was an A45 and prior to that a 335 coupe. After driving the S4 I realised, I am growing tired of a very stiff ride. The 335 rode on 1st gen 19” runflats - a real shocker.

In essence I don’t see myself pushing the S4 to its absolute limits on a regular basis.

By the way, in your Avatar I noticed aftermarket wheels. What are they? The wheel choices in Australia are hopeless

Reactions: Riko0073
I just zoomed in on your rims. They are the OEM V-Spoke
Yep you got it, mid range option here in the U.K.

Fair enough on the sport diff, I spec'd this and the adjustable dampers to give it more of a full breadth of ability although I rarely push it to it's capable limits.

Reactions: S4BRE TOOTH and Daggerit
Yep you got it, mid range option here in the U.K.

Fair enough on the sport diff, I spec'd this and the adjustable dampers to give it more of a full breadth of ability although I rarely push it to it's capable limits.

I'm the same and while I don't push the car to it's limits, the sports diff lets you accelerate out of corners noticeably faster in my experience. Coming off roundabouts and changes of directions also seem to be improved at more normal speeds too.

Reactions: S4BRE TOOTH, Thundercliffe81 and Riko0073
a toy versus sporty daily.

If I were u, I would pick s4, 350hp is way too enough. If u have another car at home, then pick rs3 as ur toy then.

Reactions: S4BRE TOOTH and Thundercliffe81
Hate to grave-dig here but i'm surprised nobody mentioned the tunability of the b8.5 S4. You guys nailed it with the comfort - s4 / s5 all the way. With a simple ECU tune, the S4 really wakes up. Adding a single or dual pulley tune on street octane is more power than you'd ever need on the street. Even though it can make just about 450hp with an upgraded supercharger pulley, I think the RS3 still comes ahead at 390HP because of how mean that 5-pot is. But my point is that you can take the S4 and do quite a lot with it for fairly cheap to make it just as snappy (almost, for the critics) as the RS3 and just as fun since it's all torque all the time at that point.

Hate to grave-dig here but i'm surprised nobody mentioned the tunability of the b8.5 S4. You guys nailed it with the comfort - s4 / s5 all the way. With a simple ECU tune, the S4 really wakes up. Adding a single or dual pulley tune on street octane is more power than you'd ever need on the street. Even though it can make just about 450hp with an upgraded supercharger pulley, I think the RS3 still comes ahead at 390HP because of how mean that 5-pot is. But my point is that you can take the S4 and do quite a lot with it for fairly cheap to make it just as snappy (almost, for the critics) as the RS3 and just as fun since it's all torque all the time at that point.
Haha, just reading back on my old comments on this thread, I did actually swop the S4 for an RS3 and no regrets! Yes the S4 interior and tech are a league above but the smiles that the RS3 gives are so worth it! Just reminds me of how fun a small very fast hatch can be, the noise and that engine are just amazing!