S4 Cabriolet exhaust

S4cabriolet

Reaction score
I appreciate that this topic has been done to death, but I am still considerably undecided as what to do.

My car is now nearly 11 years old, 79k on the clock.
I’m keeping it forever!

When funds allow (soon, I hope) engine is coming out and the timing chain service will be done.

My question: which exhaust should I upgrade to?

DavieM in Northen Ireland has shown how the RS4 headers can be used on the BBK engine.
Down pipes are plentiful.

From there I’m confused.

I’ve read about quality issues with Milltek.

The Scorpion and Cobra have nothing on their website for B7, although on eBay one can get a Scorpion RS4 exhaust that is 2:1:2 pipe work that seems counterintuitive.

AWE prices have risen and it’s a 2.25” pipe when I want 2.5” plus.

Supersprint looks good, as does Eisenmann.

Would love a Remus, but they don’t appear to have one any more.

Jetex don’t do a specific but could cobble a system together.

Capristo, Armytrix far too expensive.

How about custom? Profusion (like their website), MIJ, etc etc.

Some have flap valves, others don’t. What are the pros and cons of those, apart from quietening at low revs?

I like the quad tail pipes on the S4. Not at all keen on the oval RS4 pipes.

I do not want a loud exhaust but a better flowing one. My car seems constricted at the moment having had a Stage 1 ECU tune.

Many thanks for your indulgence of me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JohnVZ and AvantMike
I have had two milltek exhausts, the dual exit b6 s4 version and the b7 quad pipe version. I have no issues with the quality of either, the early design clamps were rubbish but i replaced them anyway, the later clamps are better. I have both resonated and non resonated versions and neither are particularly loud that may be down in part to the four cats on the s4. The main issue with the s4 milltek is they are 2.25 inch diameter pipes and probably too small if you are going to do anything else tuning wise.

Based on the research I have done (not first hand experience) I would replace the headers removing the precat, jhm long tube headers are the best option but way too expensive especially in the UK with import charges etc. I like Davie M's adaptation of the rs4 headers so if my s4 doesn't sell I will be going that route and using the rs4 stock cats. From there I'm not convinced there is anything off the shelf in the UK worth having. I would go custom 2.5 inch with an x pipe (not H pipe like miltek) possibly even an elongated X (there is evidence of better power from longer cross over section ) like on the scorpion rs4 exhaust but with a bigger diameter centre section. I like the quad pipes and they definitely make a different noise than the dual pipes, i would probably go with a custom packable rear box with one pipe straight through on a valve, then use a programmable controller to set different levels of valve flow to adjust noise levels (my mate developed a system on his db9 and it works well with 5 different valve positions delivering noticeably different sound levels).

Exhausts are a very personal choice but personally I'd like to hear more rasp and crackle from the v8 to go along with that I'd also go for the jhm map and lightened flywheel and front pulley.