S3 wiring loom cracking

stressfrees3

Reaction score
Ihave had some bad expensive news. The insulation of the wiring loom from the coil pack to the engine ECU has started to crack and showing bare wire. It caused the car to mis-fire and resulting recovery to the dealer. The cost to repair £1100 new loom and total 8hrs of labour. Ouch ouch ouch. Got no choice as it the first place to have it repaired.
Question 1. should the insulation crack like so the car being Nov2001 with 35000m no mods
Question 2. Is this going to be another coilpack scenario.

Check your wiring loom!

I'm in mourning for my wallet

OMG, they replaced the whole loom just becuse a few wires were split.

Fek me, I could have repaired that for about £20!!

How do these dealers sleep at night authorising that kinda work an expense!?!

That is disgusting that they have replaced the whole wiring loom for that. As HTC said I could have repaired that as well for sod all money.

Did you authorise that work? I would have told them B*llocks!

no way id rip the car apart to replace the whole engine loom.

Get it repaired my an auto electrician/electrician if your not happy doing it yourself

just get it cut back, spliced and replaced.

DONT DO IT !! They will only make things worse, so many places will be able to reair that to excellent standards and it wont even look as though anything was done.
If the cracked insulation is only confined to that area then whats the point if doing the whole engine loom? Yes i know its just one piece but still a waste and they will NEVER be able to refit it perfectly.
If the damage is onlt tot hat area no doubt from the extreme heat off the engine then it could in theory happen again.
Get it done privately and fit some heat tape or similar to the new wires

Thanks for all the advice. Will now be in search of a good auto-electrician.
Anyone with suggestions for around Maidstone, Kent.
Thanks in advance