S3 Understeer, Mermaids and Unicorns

Flatoot

Reaction score
Trying to figure out which one is actually real?

Who was it that said their S3 understeered like crazy? After 4000 miles in all conditions (snow, rain, fresh rain on days old dry roads), I can categorically state that, unless driven like a complete imbecile, on next to bald tyres or on a diesel spill, that there is no trace of understeer.

Is it that this is a figment of one's imagination and that the speed carried into a wet corner (or dry for that matter) is hugely excessive and something only a top end hyper sports car would handle?

Reactions: TDI-line, G-S3, Bandicoot51 and 3 others
Trying to figure out which one is actually real?

Who was it that said their S3 understeered like crazy? After 4000 miles in all conditions (snow, rain, fresh rain on days old dry roads), I can categorically state that, unless driven like a complete imbecile, on next to bald tyres or on a diesel spill, that there is no trace of understeer.

Is it that this is a figment of one's imagination and that the speed carried into a wet corner (or dry for that matter) is hugely excessive and something only a top end hyper sports car would handle?

I've gone on record to say practically word for word what you just did and it ended in tears........................mine!! lol

Love the thread title by the way :)

Reactions: WarwickL, PanamaS3 and Flatoot
I've gone on record to say practically word for word what you just did and it ended in tears........................mine!! lol

Love the thread title by the way :)

How come? Did you understeer off the road into a field full of sheep?

Reactions: Filumo and Simon L
How come? Did you understeer off the road into a field full of sheep?

lol ..................nope, but I think a few others on here have bothered a sheep or two!

I agree with you 100%, I think the steering and handling are nothing short of staggering, particularly in the wet.

....actually I'll amend that slightly, I'm not crazy about the steering in dynamic but that's just personal preference.

Reactions: WarwickL and Flatoot
Mermaids and unicorns are real. Fact. The other day whilst driving at 240 mph around a hairpin bend I saw a mermaid riding a unicorn through a field

Reactions: S., ACWKGYTO, Jassyo06 and 3 others
Mermaids and unicorns are real. Fact. The other day whilst driving at 240 mph around a hairpin bend I saw a mermaid riding a unicorn through a field

A mermaid riding a unicorn? Was she using a strap on?

Reactions: S., Jassyo06 and Simon L
Here we go again.

Reactions: Pulp84, Scott, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
I believe the saddle was strapped on yes :)

Reactions: Jassyo06, Simon L and Flatoot
Here we go again.

Aha. It was your good self Mr V8 wasn't it?

At the time, having only had a 24 hour test drive, I was somewhat keeping my powder dry on this one, but with a good 2.5 months under my belt and 4000 miles in all sorts of conditions and with a liberal sprinkle of 'pedal to the metal', I can confidently put your fancilful ideas of 'built in understeer' to bed.

Without trying to sound too melodramatic, you are woefully wide of the mark (no pun intended).

If you want to tell yourself that your car doesn't understeer, that's all fine and good.

However, just because *you* don't experience understeer in *your* car, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This forum is littered with owners experiences of understeer characteristics on the S3.

The S3 may be the best hatch you've owned, but there are many other cars on the market in the same sector, that don't display the tendency.

It's a well known Audi trait.

But obviously, if you're happy that your car doesn't understeer, I'm happy for you. :)

Reactions: danilotto and Pulp84
If you want to tell yourself that your car doesn't understeer, that's all fine and good.

However, just because *you* don't experience understeer in *your* car, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This forum is littered with owners experiences of understeer characteristics on the S3.

The S3 may be the best hatch you've owned, but there are many other cars on the market in the same sector, that don't display the tendency.

It's a well known Audi trait.

But obviously, if you're happy that your car doesn't understeer, I'm happy for you. :)

Actually, the best hot hatch I owned was probably my Renault 5 GT Turbo, closely followed by my Pug 205 1.9 GTi. Real hot hatches that didn't have so many electronic gadgetry to depend upon.

However, back to the matter in hand - if every single S3 build, and I'm assuming they are all pretty consistent when they leave the factory - handles the same as mine, then I feel you are speaking utter ******** mate. MY car doesn't understeer on new Conti's, and neither will the next 100 S3's to come out of the factory on the back of a transporter.

S3's therefore, don't possess this mythical 'trait' that you speak of. I'd go as far as to suggest you just made it up to generate this 'Stig' like demeanour about yourself.

Understeer my ****. That is all.

There's very little point having a discussion, you've made your mind up despite plenty of evidence on this forum.

If I remember correctly, you also:

1. Don't accept that manufacturers set up modern cars to understeer as a safety point.

2. Don't accept that you put new tyres on the rear of the car, despite evidence and advice from the tyre manufacturers.

As for creating a "Stig" demeanour - I seem to remember it was you that was keen to trot out and boast about your driving experience ........ Not me.

I think we can all draw our own conclusions.

Reactions: S3Alex and Blackwhite
There's very little point having a discussion, you've made your mind up despite plenty of evidence on this forum.

If I remember correctly, you also:

1. Don't accept that manufacturers set up modern cars to understeer as a safety point.

2. Don't accept that you put new tyres on the rear of the car, despite evidence and advice from the tyre manufacturers.

As for creating a "Stig" demeanour - I seem to remember it was you that was keen to trot out and boast about your driving experience ........ Not me.

I think we can all draw our own conclusions.

Correct on all three points. Oh, and on the important one, which is that S3's simply don't understeer unless you carry WAAAAAAAAY too much speed into a corner.

Come up to Scotland and I'll show you how you're supposed to drive one (snigger).

Reactions: G-S3 and WarwickL
It's all relative.

The S3 will understeer into corners at lower speeds, compared to some other cars.

Just ask some of the guys on here that have set up their S3's with the Golf 7R geometry.

Oh, I forgot.
You also think that changing bits on your car (dampers, Coilovers etc.) is a complete waste of time ;)

It's all relative.

The S3 will understeer into corners at lower speeds, compared to some other cars.

Just ask some of the guys on here that have set up their S3's with the Golf 7R geometry.

Oh, I forgot.
You also think that changing bits on your car (dampers, Coilovers etc.) is a complete waste of time ;)

It just doesn't though..... simply doesn't understeer. I don't know what age of car you drove, what condition the tyres were in, what the roads are like down your end or what kind of driver you are. BUT THE S3 DOES NOT UNDERSTEER. Not unless you are cohersing it to do so.

It's almost akin to saying it's slow, when every man and his dog knows it's not slow. But if you say it enough, it somehow makes it true.

Honest, every time I meet a bend in the wet, I'm thinking, hmm, I wonder if this is when I meet V8's dreaded understeer problem. But nope, it breezes through without so much as a whimper.

And if you have 'tinkered' with your setup from factory settings, then sorry, but you open yourself up to crucifying the way the Audi engineers designed the car to handle. And it handles just fine. No need for caster/camber readjustment or fettling with a box of add ons from Demon Tweeks.

Sorry mate - but you're just wrong and obviously far too egotistical to admit it. I'd go as far as to suggest Audi should be suing you for libel!

My car is as standard (which is why it is not as well set up as a Golf 7R).

I wonder if the flat earth society are still accepting new members ....... :D

Carry on with your ludicrous assertions that it understeers pal. Hopefully the Mermaids and Unicorns help you off to sleep tonight.

Bonkers!! Are you a member of IAM by any chance? These fruitcakes that tell you to hold the steering wheel at 5 to 1 and all that jazz!?!?

Bonkers!! Are you a member of IAM by any chance? These fruitcakes that tell you to hold the steering wheel at 5 to 1 and all that jazz!?!?

So, in addition to:

1. Denying the S3 understeers
2. Denying all modern cars are set up to understeer
3. Denying new tyres go on the rears
4. It's a waste of time changing the setup of your car
5. It's a waste of time installing aftermarket parts on your car

we can now add

6. The IAM and all their members, are "fruitcakes"

Brilliant! :lmfao:

Carry on with your ludicrous assertions that it understeers pal. Hopefully the Mermaids and Unicorns help you off to sleep tonight.

Not noticing any significant understeer versus all the other cars we have owned. This massive understeer that one or two go on about with the S3, no, not seeing it personally but have only driven the car 2,000 km so far.

Maybe our AU specced cars suspension and geometry is set up different.

I do find the rear a little twitchy but I suspect most of that was due to my use of comfort setting and the average Conti's.

Edit - actually, I found the two MKVII R's had more understeer than the S3 demos we test drove in the lead up to our purchase. I think both of the MKVII R's were wearing non standard fronts for some reason

Reactions: Flatoot
So, in addition to:

we can now add

Brilliant! :lmfao:

Your diversion tactics are boring mate - zzzzzzzzz.

So, either accept that the S3 doesn't understeer, or stop boring us all with your inaccurate drivel.

And yes, the guys that take you out on the IAM courses are the biggest bunch of tossers I've ever had the displeasure of sharing a car with!!

Not noticing any significant understeer versus all the other cars we have owned. This massive understeer that one or two go on about with the S3, no, not seeing it personally but have only driven the car 2,000 km so far.

Maybe our AU specced cars suspension and geometry is set up different.

I do find the rear a little twitchy but I suspect most of that was due to my use of comfort setting and the average Conti's.

I suspect we all know the answer to that. Perhaps it's Germany's finest that have cocked up with V8's geometry (in addition to his bodily malfunction of his head being lost somewhere up his own backside - haha).

Your diversion tactics are boring mate - zzzzzzzzz.
And yes, the guys that take you out on the IAM courses are the biggest bunch of tossers I've ever had the displeasure of sharing a car with!!

They aren't distraction tactics, they help us understand where you're coming from :)

Impressive credentials :D

6. The IAM and all their members, are "fruitcakes" and "tossers"

Last edited:
Mate - I don't need to read those threads - I actually own one, and know it doesn't. That's the whole point. Duh!

Reactions: WarwickL
They aren't distraction tactics, they help us understand where you're coming from :)

Impressive credentials :D

Where I'm coming from is a land of reality - unlike you my friend. Either living in denial, a shocking driver, running on a set of tyres that are obviously well past their sell by date, or perhaps a combination of all these factors.

Whether I believe in the notion that new tyres should go on the front of my car to provide more grip into corners and under breaking, is NOT THE ISSUE. Like I said, you are signed up to the notion that diverting attention away from the point of this thread will somehow distract others from know the truth. THAT S3's DON'T UNDERSTEER.

Haha.... keep going though. It's thoroughly entertaining stuff.

You just keep telling yourself that, it's will make it better. :)

Zzzzzzz.

You obviously know the square root of feck all about cars. Honest, if you think the S3 understeers, then I'd suggest you take yourself off to another hobby, like stamp collecting.

Actually V8 - are you Vladimir Putin in disguise? Tell us about the Ukraine please and how Russia have no involvement there. But before you do, can you share your knowledge on the Audi S3. I hear they have a bit of a dodgy handling issue at the front end?

Hahahahahahaha!!!

So you adamantly believe, in your world, that you fit new tyres to the front of the car?

Despite all evidence of experts saying otherwise?
http://www.michelincertifiedcentre.co.uk/tyresafety/new-to-the-rear.aspx
http://www.goodyear.com/email/faq/care.html#q9
http://www.tyresafe.org/media-centre/latest-news/69-motorists-get-their-tyres-“back-to-front”

I think we all know where you're coming from - and it is relevant, because it highlights your beliefs, knowledge and attitude :)

Hmm, I see a trend developing here - dodge the frickin question as many times as possible.

Stick to the OP mate - stick to the OP.

stephen-colbert-popcorn-gif.gif

Reactions: Joe4842, Mrbish, RYuill and 7 others
Right, I'm starting a collection for V8. Can we have a whip round to buy him a new set of tyres? Poor loon has been driving around on slicks obviously.

Reactions: Flatoot and WarwickL