S3 Puncture with 4mm tread

Forbzeeee

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick bit of advice.... I have a puncture on my O/S/R... All tyres have around 4mm tread left. Would you replace just one tyre, the two rears, or all four?

Thanks
Forbzeeee

We had a q7 previous and same thing happened. We were advised by audi to change all 4 due to suspension ect.

Reactions: Forbzeeee
i take it its not repairable ?

i change my tyres around 3mm. so, to me i would change it if its un repairable.

Reactions: leosayer1
Change Rear 2 only.

Reactions: Daveotto
It's only advisable to replace all four tyres if you have permanent four wheel drive..Not so important with Haldex equipped cars...But I would advice replacing both tyres on the same axle with same size(obviously) and importantly don't mix tread patterns...:friends:

Reactions: leshkin and Rob2k68
Realistically you only need to change the 2 rear tyres (assuming the puncture cannot be fixed - which it does sound like). Alternately, there are often some good deals around on buying all 4 tyres, look at ATS or similar (but as well as looking online do give them a call, as sometimes they have better deals onsite than they have on the web (on my previous Evo, I got 30% discount rather than 25% advertised on the web).
Often there is little or no discount for 2 tyres, but you can usually get 4 tyres for the price of 3. Michelin I think have a deal on at the moment, which might be worth a look at (and check price against Costco if you are a member).

I just fitted 2 Michelin PS3's to the front of mine due to a puncture, and was advised if having one that the difference in tread between new and the "used" Conti on there would possibly cause issues. So 2 PS3's it was (and very happy with them too)

Reactions: pburv and Daveotto
Agreed. Change 2 at least. however if they are the supplied tyres then you could do all 4 and have a nice new set of PSS's? Keep the 4mm pair at the front for when you sell the car? Just a thought.

Reactions: pburv