s3 Magnetic ride & bounce

xristo

Reaction score
Hi guys, done a search but can't find exactly what I'm looking. Can those with magnetic ride comment on whether they suffer the pogo stick bouncing effect found on standard s3 suspension?

Currently own an 8P S3 with standard suspension which has notoriously high rebound, I'm not even tall but still hit my head on the headliner. I feel more sorry for back seat passengers, it's only a matter of time before some crashes through the panoramic roof.

Looking at getting an S3 sedan soon but only if magnetic ride smooths out the pogo stick rubbish.
Thanks

I've got an S3 hatch with Mag Ride and don't notice this. I do however have the suspension set to 'dynamic' almost all the time as I have noted the rolling and bouncing affect when in 'comfort' mode. Goes without saying that you need to get in one for a test drive before biting the bullet!

When driving hard in 'dynamic', I have noticed that the car will start to bounce a little on uneven terrain at high speeds. Body roll when cornering hard isn't really an issue, it could be tighter of course, but works well!

I tend to have mine set to Comfort mode most of the time as it provides a more compliant and comfortbale ride. There is more travel and roll in the suspension in this setting but I find it controlled enough for most situations. I use Dynamic only when pushing the car hard. In Dynamic mode the car can be upset quicker in a corner.

As woundering soul has suggested you really need to get out in a car with this set up so you can see if its suitable for you. Each peeson is very different. ( as you can see how woundering soul and I have ours set).

At least with the Magride option u have a choice of damper settings. They are subtle but do change the ride quite a bit, especially over a changable surface / bumpy road.

Jungle

Reactions: Wondering Soul
Mine definitely bounces in comfort mode when going over a large speed bump/ crossing near where I live. Must get 2-3 po go like bounces from it. Otherwise seems fine. Dynamic gives 1 bounce over same bump. Thinking of fitting Eibachs so will be interesting if that helps with this.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
Unless the road surface is pretty much perfect I just find dynamic is too firm for most driving. Personally, I'd rather have a few 'bounces' than feel like I've just driven through a brick wall!

As others have said though it's all personal preference but I will say that having the option is priceless ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06, Blackwhite and Rob2k68
Highly recommend this feature based on having it and reading about unacceptable rebound with the standard suspension. The only negative comments I've read about mag ride are: reaction time is too slow at higher autobahn speeds and another person who couldn't tell the difference between comfort and dynamic in a test ride (recommend a re-test!). If you run at 150 mph, you probably want to test it at that speed.

I'm glad I have the option but the rebound is still higher than it should be in my opinion. If they were a little tighter/had shorter travel (...whatever the term is), they would've been perfect.

Hate to say it but if you want to reduce or eliminate the poor damping get another car if it bothers you. Not an S3

Reactions: veeeight
I've got a Saloon/Sedan and to answer your question, in Comfort you definitely do get the bouncing effect most noticeably over speed bumps, but comfort is great for the motorway. You get it a little less in auto, and not at all in Dynamic. Dynamic still feels less hard than my wife's Sport BMW and other BMW's I've had, and is my default individual option.

I haven't driven a non mag ride S3 but I really do like having the choice and wouldn't want to be without it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68
I think mag ride is superior to standard S3 suspension,the demonstrator l drove awhile back had it,but in dynamic mode it was a lot firmer than a standard S3's suspension nearly put me back out going over a wee pothole

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
Only time I notice any adverse handling affects are when in comfort and going over speed humps (slowly) the car seems to have excessive bounce in this situation. Out on the open road I have no issue with dynamic and only use comfort when the Mrs is is the car, mines a Cabriolet so a fair bit heavier.

Reactions: Rob2k68