s3 low oil pressure

Mark Dempsey

Reaction score
hi all , i have purchased a 2015 s3 a couple of weeks ago and it had a missfire which after a compression test turned out to be a blown head gasket between pot 2 and 3 , i have changed the gasket ,skimmed the head and changed the chain , the car starts and runs very quietly/smoothly but after a while the red low oil pressure warning pops up so having scanned the car it is showing code p164DOO reduced oil pressure switch intermittent , so after looking at live data when the vehicle is cold the low pressure sensor opens then as it warms up a little the sensor starts flicking from open to closed then as it warms up a little more it closes and up comes the low pressure warning ,this suggests to me it really does have slightly low oil pressure (as soon as you lift the idle the pressure builds straight away and clears warning light ) im of the mind that this must be oil pump or shells but i was wondering if the oil solenoid infront of the crank pulley could also cause this issue ? any help suggestions welcomed with open arms ...regards mark

Do you know if it has had the oil pick up pipe replaced?
Might not be an issue on a 2015 model, but it may be clogged if the service history is poor.

yeah that was my first thought too mate , i removed sump and pickup yesterday and all very clean , my apologies i should have mentioned this in my initial post .

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Could be the oil pressure switch or the wiring faulty. A short circuit would give little or no oil pressure reading. Do you know the cars history?

the car has done 49k and was last serviced by audi at 44k , and upon strip down everything was very clean