S3 Fuel Grade

Mark Baldwin

Reaction score
just got a 17 plate S3 and wondering what people are filling up with. Understand Audi recommend Super Unleaded but wondered if people are filling with 95 Octane Unleaded which is the minimum recommended on the fuel filler cap? Obviously about 4-5 pence difference.

Predominantly Tesco Momentum and Shell V Power, with the odd tank of Sainsbury’s 97 Ron. Once or twice I have had to put 95 in and it didn’t seem to run as well.

I stick with V-power religiously. Probably not much help, but there you go :tongueclosed:... If I had no option but to use a lesser octane fuel, I'd only put £10-15 in, then at the earliest opportunity fill the tank to the brim with V-power/Momentum (98/99RON) to dilute the cheap stuff.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO and DW81
I'm unique and put Asdas 95 in as its my nearest petrol station, I've done a couple of tanks on momentum and notice no difference really so not sure I see the point. I will try and get some "better" stuff if every now and then though..

If Tesco wasn't miles out of my way I'd probably use momentum all the time, not many Shells nearby and BP is more than I want to pay really for their premium stuff.

I'm unique and put Asdas 95 in as it's my nearest petrol station, I've done a couple of tanks on momentum and notice no difference really so not sure I see the point. I will try and get some "better" stuff if every now and then though...

If Tesco wasn't miles out of my way I'd probably use momentum all the time, not many Shells nearby and BP is more than I want to pay really for their premium stuff.
To be honest, I don't think the difference in performance will be noticeable on the road. I think it's more of a case of fuel quality... The higher the calorific value/octane rating, the better it burns in the engine. Also, premium fuels come with fewer additives such as detergent to "bulk it up", again better for prolonging the life of the engine.

I have an ASDA petrol station about 600m from my front door but I do make a special effort to drive a 6-mile round trip for V-power. An added bonus is that I get money off vouchers in the post every so often at Shell!

Last edited:
Reactions: sve170, paul wev, Audi Bairn and 2 others
Momentum with the odd dash of v power . Tesco I think is 99 and v power 98 , but understand v power has good engine cleaning. Might be snake oil , but a small price doing only 6k a year

Reactions: batch and GregS3
Same as everyone else pretty much! Tesco momentum with shell v power but try to go for Tesco when I can as it’s cheaper but further away so only when I’m near.
Occasionally if I’m desperate I’ll put £20 of BP in but try not to

Only ever used Tesco Momentum, never used anything else to comment on diffference.
When I had the car mapped he did say that tesco fuel is what they recommend for the map

Reactions: GregS3
Run Tesco Momentum in my cars. If I do use 95 I don't give it the full beans. Found I do get slightly better fuel consumption with 99 which in my mind means MORE POWER.

Special blend of momentum and vpower here aswell..

Ive always used either of them

:rockwoot:

I have only ever used 95, usually Tesco in my S3. Not had a problem.

My understanding is that to extract the maximum power the engine management will automatically advance and monitor the timing until just before the engine 'pinks' or pre-ignites. The extra timing advance that running 99 Ron will give about 5% more extra power than 95 RON.

Back in the day, before this feature (introduced around 1988), many engines had a reversible plug to manually tell the ECU if you were running 95 or 98 RON. Also many high performance engines had, like my 245 BHP Calibra Turbo, to have the ECU modded to run only at 99 RON in order to achieve the power.

When I had the S3 I ran V Power, then a Costco petrol station opened near me and I changed to their 99 ron and noticed no difference other than a saving of £5 per tank!

I have only ever used 95, usually Tesco in my S3. Not had a problem.

My understanding is that to extract the maximum power the engine management will automatically advance and monitor the timing until just before the engine 'pinks' or pre-ignites. The extra timing advance that running 99 Ron will give about 5% more extra power than 95 RON.

Back in the day, before this feature (introduced around 1988), many engines had a reversible plug to manually tell the ECU if you were running 95 or 98 RON. Also many high performance engines had, like my 245 BHP Calibra Turbo, to have the ECU modded to run only at 99 RON in order to achieve the power.

I remember from having a Calibra / Cavalier 16v the octane plug near the bulkhead that could be turned ‘around’ when on a higher octane fuel.

I have used Tesco momentum every mile I do! Faster than E92 M3’s, so must be using all the horses available with it!

Reactions: paul wev
Only ever put in Shell Vpower, it's 99ron here.

Reactions: sve170
Only ever used VPower in mine. There was one occasion in Scotland a couple of years ago when I had to fill it with 95, and both my driving partner and I commented about the loss of 'sparkle'.

I usually use momentum in mine, but when necessary I'll fill up with whatever is available.

In all honesty, I've not noticed any difference between the cheapest supermarket 95 RON and momentum or v-power. I've been unable even to measure a statistically valid difference in fuel consumption on 400 mile motorway trips, done overnight on cruise control. This is even knowing that there should be a difference because 99 RON fuel is dense - 1 litre of 99 RON weighs 20 grams more than 1 litre of 95 RON, so you are effectively getting an extra 2% more fuel.

I've even done some OBD data logging and not even seen any relevant timing changes between running 99 and 95.

I've been giving this some more thought recently as I've been thinking of getting a remap, where this would make a difference. My local tuner suggests that with a moderately aggressive stage 1, running 95 would only reduce power by maybe 5-10 bhp over 99, increasing to about 10-15 bhp for a very aggressive stage 1. He suggests that the stock map which is much less aggressive would show much less variation with fuel quality, maybe 3-5 bhp tops.

Reactions: Rayner_1704
I fill with Momentum if I'm passing a big Tesco and have less than half a tank, V Power if passing the place 15 miles away that sells it at a reasonable price, or 95 from wherever if I'm near empty.
I can't say that I've noticed any difference in performance, economy or how the engine runs whatever is in the tank.

Shell was 98RON when it was Optimax, and I didn’t think it went up to 99 when it was relaunched as V-Power.
However I use Momentum as it’s less than half a mile away, or V-Power. Mines a kinda Stage 1+ and I definitely notice a difference on the odd occasion I’ve had to drop to BP Ultimate which whilst only 97 is a very high quality fuel.

Reactions: MikeParkin
Momentum with the odd dash of v power . Tesco I think is 99 and v power 98 , but understand v power has good engine cleaning. Might be snake oil , but a small price doing only 6k a year
Tesco and shell are both 99 Ron fuels. But like you said shell has better cleaning agents and also a lubrication additive to let the piston slide up and down with less friction.

Reactions: DeeGee68
just got a 17 plate S3 and wondering what people are filling up with. Understand Audi recommend Super Unleaded but wondered if people are filling with 95 Octane Unleaded which is the minimum recommended on the fuel filler cap? Obviously about 4-5 pence difference.
Don’t see the point in spending all that money on a S3 then putting cheap crap fuel in it.

Reactions: davc, batch, Andy F and 3 others

I only every feed it V-Power. Why have a sporty car, and fill it up with sh!t fuel?

Reactions: davc, Andy F, MaxBoostMRC and 1 other person
I read somewhere that the shell was 99 , but has been reduced to 98 octane . Tesco currently 20 p a litre cheaper with the 10p voucher.

Anyway think one in four shell to momentum could be the best compromise. Even better if shell is 99 octane:)
Tesco and shell are both 99 Ron fuels. But like you said shell has better cleaning agents and also a lubrication additive to let the piston slide up and down with less friction.

I read somewhere that the shell was 99 , but has been reduced to 98 octane . Tesco currently 20 p a litre cheaper with the 10p voucher.

Tesco sell greenergy fuel; greenergy sell two grades of petrol, 95 RON and 99 RON. Greenergy are quite open about the quality of their product, and they publish the analysis of their fuels on a regular basis. http://www.greenergy.com/uk/quality

I get about 25 extra miles a tank out of vpower diesel over regular diesel in my sq5 with a Dtuk box on it (while driving like a nun) Plus a few more grins per mile when driving ‘normally’

SQ5

Thks philsa3
That nails it . Though Tesco is doing extra 10 p a lite off voucher with every £60 spent , and is already cheaper. Though will still do the one shell to three Tesco fill ups
Cheers

Super Duper used Chip fat...............in conjuction with............diluted Ground down Dilthium Crystals ye canne wack it..... Lol
4363 l 01 b71b8de6 8810 4d98 8c0a 0f8dff393508

Reactions: GW1, CROCOP, MikeParkin and 2 others
There are loads of threads on this all over the internet and apparently studies been done, V Power Nitro+ is 99 ron consistently, Momentum apparently is not, it can range from 95-100 from batch to batch.
I would always use V Power, it's like £2-£3 a tank different, on these cars, that really isn't much.

I'm in the Shell V power club, never tried anything else in the S3.

Car runs great on it.

When I had an S1 I used momentum.

I am going to get slated here.. but I use 95 ron reason being it’s a lease car for 2 years, unmodified and most or my miles are stop start on the way to work so doesn’t really make a difference for me. It runs perfectly fine.
My previous S3 which was stage 3 was always run on 99ron.

This is only my opinion I know people will disagree

Reactions: CROCOP and MikeParkin
I use Tesco 99 Momentum but it costs the same as normal unleaded near me.
£1.18 per litre.

Reactions: GW1
****** northerners.... cheaper houses, cheaper fuel.. you've got it all

Cheapest round here atm is 120.7 (asda/morrisons).

Reactions: GW1 and MikeParkin