S3 exhaust flaps....

Tom_86

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've noticed that on awesome GTi's website you can now get these plugs that fool the ECU into thinking that the flaps are still in situ. Can anyone confirm to me if I unplug the flaps if they default to the closed position? Even better still, if they're removable?
Thanks in advance for any advice, i'm thinking these removed / deleted with the combination of the APR down pipe sports cat would be a nice mod whilst keeping the OEM look which I like. I've got a friend who's very handy with a welder and he's suggested just cutting the valve out and re-attaching the tail pipe also.

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-car/audi/a6-c7/awe-tuning-electronic-exhaust-valve-simulators/

£50 seems quite expensive for what it is. Why not get someone local with vcds turn them off for you? No messing around with plugs then. I tried it and it was a bit louder under partial accelleration but the drone when coasting at low speed was terrible.

Reactions: Redderz and Rob2k68
£50 seems quite expensive for what it is. Why not get someone local with vcds turn them off for you? No messing around with plugs then. I tried it and it was a bit louder under partial accelleration but the drone when coasting at low speed was terrible.
Hi thanks for this.
I never realised it made the car drone that badly so perhaps i'll reconsider..

Reactions: Rob2k68
I've done the VCDS change and I don't really notice any more drone at constant speed. At least you can turn it back on if it too annoying

Reactions: davc, Audi Bairn and Rob2k68
I've done the VCDS change and I don't really notice any more drone at constant speed. At least you can turn it back on if it too annoying
Good point, does it make the car sound better in your opinion?

Good point, does it make the car sound better in your opinion?

IMO it makes the car sound much better. It now sounds more gutsy under all conditions

Reactions: davc and pburv
IMO it makes the car sound much better. It now sounds more gutsy under all conditions
Ok great. I'm going to give it a try, nothing to loose hey! Just need to find someone who will do it now.

Did it on my 7r and never noticed much difference I bought vcds off flebay for £35

I've learnt the hard way with amateur use of VAGCOM before so I'm steering clear of anything like that and dodgy "users". Will do a bit of research over the weekend. Hey - may even ask my local dealership! :tearsofjoy: Not

If all you wanna do is try it out why not just unplug them? That's what I did before disabling with Carista (which I didn't have at the time).

Audi probably won't even bat an eyelid at error code it would leave behind.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
I've learnt the hard way with amateur use of VAGCOM before so I'm steering clear of anything like that and dodgy "users". Will do a bit of research over the weekend. Hey - may even ask my local dealership! :tearsofjoy: Not
Amateur did you find it difficult lol

If all you wanna do is try it out why not just unplug them? That's what I did before disabling with Carista (which I didn't have at the time).

Hi mate,
I presumed that if you unplug them they'd default to closed position? Is that not the case? Cheers

... or if the S3 in question is a pre facelift model then "Carista" might support this also.
Could you shed some light on the Carista please
I really want to get this for my S3, but what exactly is it ? And what do you need to buy to use it?

Could you shed some light on the Carista please
I really want to get this for my S3, but what exactly is it ? And what do you need to buy to use it?
This should tell you all you need to know:

http://www.caristaapp.com

I bought the official dongle / connector and then downloaded the app.

How did you disable it with Carista? When I plugged mine in the other day I could not see an option to disable exhaust flaps

Hi mate,
I presumed that if you unplug them they'd default to closed position? Is that not the case? Cheers
Some people run the car in dynamic and unplug while it is running.

I however just unplugged with the car off as a few people on here have done similar I believe and say that they fail open by default.

I agree my test wasn't very scientific though haha... I simply started it after and checked with my hand that pressure was coming out of all 4 pipes roughly evenly which it seems to be.
How did you disable it with Carista? When I plugged mine in the other day I could not see an option to disable exhaust flaps
Sorry forgot to say I was using the beta not the release version. Maybe it is still in development for the release version?

Reactions: Audi Bairn, MartS300, Tom_86 and 1 other person
I've unplugged them tonight (whilst the car was off) and I'm pretty sure they're both now permanently open but can't be sure. It sounds a bit more throaty to me. But this may be in my head...! I'm sure at idle the flaps are both permanently open anyway so I'll try it for a week of driving and see what I think.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, azibux1 and Rob2k68
I've unplugged them tonight (whilst the car was off) and I'm pretty sure they're both now permanently open but can't be sure. It sounds a bit more throaty to me. But this may be in my head...! I'm sure at idle the flaps are both permanently open anyway so I'll try it for a week of driving and see what I think.
Key is to check idle on comfort vs dynamic. Should sound the same other than the increased revs and should feel pressure from all tips

Sounds good though! I quite like it. Might want to tape the plugs up though to stop crud getting in them (connector end and cable end)

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Rob2k68
Cable tie a balloon around each end
LOL I misunderstood your reasoning for this... You mean to stop crud getting in the connectors?

I was thinking along the lines of attaching a balloon to each tip to see if all 4 are open in comfort mode at idle :D haaaaaaaaaa

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Tom_86 and Rob2k68
Haha yes of course to stop crud getting in. You'd look like a right donkey with them on your exhaust tips :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Tom_86, azibux1 and 1 other person
Haha yes of course to stop crud getting in. You'd look like a right donkey with them on your exhaust tips :)
I don't think they'd last long on there :D BANG! lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Tom_86
1 week in and I'm loving having the flaps unplugged. Such a better noise especially on a spirited drive. Have noticed people all of a sudden turning round to see what's coming which is pretty cool too. Poser.....
No drone either on motorway or cruising speeds.
All in all highly recommended.

Reactions: AudiNutta and Rob2k68
Poser.....

A tenner says that this is not the word most typically formed in the minds of these spectators, and that at least 50% of the most common words that are formed are prohibited by @Sandra 's sweary words filter. ;)

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Sandra, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
A tenner says that this is not the word most typically formed in the minds of these spectators, and that at least 50% of the most common words that are formed are prohibited by @Sandra 's sweary words filter. ;)
It's not my personal swear filter. I am very tolerant but the swear filter is in place to safeguard the younger members of the forum.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Rob2k68 and Audi Bairn
It's not my personal swear filter. I am very tolerant but the swear filter is in place to safeguard the younger members of the forum.

I'm sure the younger members of the forum have a more varied and colourful lexicon than many of us can muster, so its probably the older members with more delicate sensibilities that require safeguarding.

I quite like the filter though, it stops everyone calling me a ****.

Reactions: batch, RSS-S3, Tom.H and 2 others
I'm sure the younger members of the forum have a more varied and colourful lexicon than many of us can muster, so its probably the older members with more delicate sensibilities that require safeguarding.

I quite like the filter though, it stops everyone calling me a ****.

That's what I was going to say funnily enough, it's probably the younger members that are the worst culprits haha.

Anyway, didn't think there were many younger than me :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Sandra
I've just ordered these. Expensive for what they are I appreciate that. But I like a proper job and is a good way to seal the plugs and eliminate any fault codes. Quite glad I found them will update once fitted.

Was it easy to fit ? Did you get under the car ?
https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-car/audi/a6-c7/awe-tuning-electronic-exhaust-valve-simulators/
1 week in and I'm loving having the flaps unplugged. Such a better noise especially on a spirited drive. Have noticed people all of a sudden turning round to see what's coming which is pretty cool too. Poser.....
No drone either on motorway or cruising speeds.
All in all highly recommended.