S tronic - Reverse problems.. a touch

Klickflip

Quattro 4 life
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering how others with 2010 S tronic cars are finding their reverse selection .
If I put it into reverse too quickly (possibly still moving just) and then I have to reverse up a slight incline or over a curb I find it disengages and appears to go into neutral temporarily .
Kind of feels like it's never actually got into reverse properly, and slips out with any slight resistance apart from downhill or totally flat surface.

But if it put it into N then back to R (not too quickly) it's all fine .
Definitely appears to be if I don't give it a sec0nd between changes that it glitches , otherwise if I do it leisurely it's fine.

My 2009 has the odd jump in reverse not always but it's done it since I got it 2 years ago, other wise drives perfect

I deff be making sure I was stopped before I selected R though

Reactions: Klickflip
I'm with @Chop. I remember reading somewhere that it's important to ensure your car is stationary before engaging reverse gear, doesn't help when you are attempting a quick U turn!

I wouldn't be surprised of your experience, even though the gearbox is mechanical, its still controlled by software so there could be a delay in selecting gear.

Thanks guys, yes prob a bit too keen on changing gears, gone are the manual days of quick reversing into spaces and 3 point turns in busy streets!

Thanks guys, yes prob a bit too keen on changing gears, gone are the manual days of quick reversing into spaces and 3 point turns in busy streets!
This is pretty much the only time I miss changing gears manually!

This is the classic first sign of problems starting with the box. Issues when reversing up an incline! First thing I would do is get it properly serviced. Change the oil, change the strainer, change the inline filter (which is not a serviceable item on these pre-2012 box's, but it is still available to purchase). Then get an adaptation done and see what happens.

If it's still not better, or gets better then comes back your mechatronics unit or clutch pack will likely be the cuplrit. Neither of which are particularly cheap. A new mechatronics unit is circa £2500 + VAT from Audi, but there are companies which can repair them for much less (circa £500 if I'm not mistaken). Not sure on the price of a new clutch pack, but likely a good few hundred, possibly pushing £1000 and it's a gearbox off job to replace, just like any other clutch.

Chances are it will just continue to get worse and worse as time goes on, but first I would do a thorough service on the box and an adaptation with VCDS.

Has the gearbox been serviced on time (at least every 38,000 miles) since new? If not, then a service would be the first port of call.

This is the classic first sign of problems starting with the box. Issues when reversing up an incline! First thing I would do is get it properly serviced. Change the oil, change the strainer, change the inline filter (which is not a serviceable item on these pre-2012 box's, but it is still available to purchase). Then get an adaptation done and see what happens.

If it's still not better, or gets better then comes back your mechatronics unit or clutch pack will likely be the cuplrit. Neither of which are particularly cheap. A new mechatronics unit is circa £2500 + VAT from Audi, but there are companies which can repair them for much less (circa £500 if I'm not mistaken). Not sure on the price of a new clutch pack, but likely a good few hundred, possibly pushing £1000 and it's a gearbox off job to replace, just like any other clutch.

Chances are it will just continue to get worse and worse as time goes on, but first I would do a thorough service on the box and an adaptation with VCDS.

Has the gearbox been serviced on time (at least every 38,000 miles) since new? If not, then a service would be the first port of call.
Thanks Mario, hopefully just a quirk of it and won't get any worse like others.
But am aware it could do so will keep an eye on it. Definitely feels like it's not got in gear and slips out. I can tell when it's going to do it , mostly when I'm in a rush so will be kinder slower with it!
Had Audi do full oil and filter change when I got it 4 months ago. appears to be a bit of a gap in it recommended service but FHS for everything else on time .

Reactions: Chop.
Mine does it as well, almost like it doesn't quite engage properly unless i give it a bit more throttle, always has done but has never got any better or worse in the 12,000 miles i've put on the car. I think it's just a quirk on the S-tronic boxes

Reactions: Chop. and Klickflip
Mine does it as well, almost like it doesn't quite engage properly unless i give it a bit more throttle, always has done but has never got any better or worse in the 12,000 miles i've put on the car. I think it's just a quirk on the S-tronic boxes
Sounds like same as mine!

Reactions: Chop.
Mine feels like its going to stall sometimes when reversing. Oil change was done at 36k miles.
I want to map my car however slighty nervous now. I have audi extended warranty which would help me out should gearbox fail but that becomes redundant if I map it