S-line wheel protection with tyres other than Conti's

Daveotto

Staff member
Reaction score
Been a far bit of talk on here about the lack of protection that the Standard Continental tyres give to 18" s-line wheeels, mine have a couple of pretty bad scuffs from relatively innocous kerbing incidents on the diamond cut rims.

Has anyone gone through one set of tyres or just changed to others (Michelin, Bridgsetone, Pirelli etc.) and have pictures which might indicate you get better rim protection.

Personally I dont want to add rim protectors but a slightly bulbous alternative tyre to give some rim protection for very minor kerbs would be good

Pictures anyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: Anarch and PilotAudi
On the 225/40/18 conti sport contact 5's AO that I have on my current 8p they have a rim protector where as the previous tyres same spec did not, however I did ask for the AO on this occasion so not sure if that has anything to do with it?

My 17's came with Pirelli P7's factory fitted and have a small rim protection lip on them. Did little good only a week after taking delivery of the car when in small kerb left it's mark on the edge of the alloy on Friday night.

Best tyres I had for rim protection were Uniroyal Rainsport's, offered great protection and were stonkingly good tyres. Might check them out again when the Pirelli's wear out.

Been a far bit of talk on here about the lack of protection that the Standard Continental tyres give to 18" s-line wheeels, mine have a couple of pretty bad scuffs from relatively innocous kerbing incidents on the diamond cut rims.

Has anyone gone through one set of tyres or just changed to others (Michelin, Bridgsetone, Pirelli etc.) and have pictures which might indicate you get better rim protection.

Personally I dont want to add rim protectors but a slightly bulbous alternative tyre to give some rim protection for very minor kerbs would be good

Pictures anyone?

I was actually googling this issue for the past few days - and was looking for some pictures or rim protectors on PS3s

Just stay away from kerbs!! That's the answer people!!

A small piece of rubber protruding from your tyre serves no protection what so ever from a stone kerb!! They are just a gimmick the tyre makers thought of to sell more tyres that's all.

Reactions: SamR92 and Battlekrapz
Goodyear F1 Eagle Assy 2

Quite a large rim protector.

Kh6zsTG.jpg

Reactions: Daveotto
Got Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's on mine. They seem to have a pretty prominent rim protector. As said not really going to save the alloys but it does serve as a good 'Early Warning System'.

Rim prot

Desc

Hi, I was reading through the forum looking for a recommendation for new tyres. I just replaced the Contis that were on my 2015 S3 with Bridgestone Re050a only to find out that there is zero rim protection and alloy sticks out like a good 1/2 a cm over the tyre. Alloygators aren't an option as the alloy wheel and tyre are too far apart and they won't fit enough to really stay on. I am looking for a a tyre with the best rim protection for the standard 18" allow on the S3. I am leaning towards the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT as from this thread it seems to have good rim protection and look better than the standard Contis i had. Any suggestions/photos? :)

For any future reference for people :). I tried the Dunlop MAXX RT and the Conti 5 (standard not the P). They don't protrude at all on the standard 18 inch S3 (2015) rims. Conti must have changed the mould on the 5 as they did protrude a bit on my old set. Strange...