S-line ride quality

Zig M

Zig
Reaction score
Hello

Picked up my B8.5 s-line last week. While I was expecting the ride to firm I was not prepared for how bad it was!

I had it on a long drive this week 400 odd miles, this is regular or me and I do about 900 miles a month for work. On the motorway it was OK but over any road with a poor surface it was rubbish. It manages to be hard and fidgety / unsettled and loves to tramline...

Now I'm no stranger to a firm ride and have owned many cars that were polybushed on coilovers etc. One of my old cars was on B8's with H&R springs and the ride was hard but complaint and steady. It's got me considering a suspension upgrade but I do not want to lower the car in any way!

Anyone else changed springs or dampers to get a better ride?

Car has done 48K so I don't expect that the shocks or bushes will be shot yet and be contributing to the poor ride quality. Ideally I'd like to just chuck on a set of springs but realise this might not sort it!

What tyres are you running? Running bridgestones on my GTR makes it tramline like a bitch, change to the same size in MPSS and the tramlining is gone...

It's got new(ish) PS4's on all corners. I should check the tyre pressure though as I've not done that yet... if the pressures are unequal I suppose it could be contributing.

I've just put a set of MPS4S on my S4 with H&R springs today, will let you know if I have any tramlining or ride issues

Just changing the springs probably won't get you what you're wanting and will also effect the ride height which you mention you don't want to do.

In terms of a better ride, are you looking for more comfort or a more refined feel?

Damian @ DPM Performance

Yeah I kind of thought that on just changing springs...

I'd ideally like more refinement and some improvement in comfort.

I was looking at Koni FSD kits but had a feeling they no longer do them for the B8?

The FSD dampers have now been discontinued. The Bilstein B4 Sport dampers are a little more forgiving compared to the S-line dampers so this could be a place to start. Most springs will lower the car slightly unless you go for standard springs which will raise it.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Cheers I'll have a look into the B4's - I've had good experience of Bilstein before.

I'm surprised how wrong Audi got it with S-line suspension!

Cheers I'll have a look into the B4's - I've had good experience of Bilstein before.

I'm surprised how wrong Audi got it with S-line suspension!
They got it horribly wrong on the S-Line B7 and seemingly didn't learn any lessons on the B8.

Reactions: All-rod
They got it horribly wrong on the S-Line B7 and seemingly didn't learn any lessons on the B8.

Well the stance is nice.... but I've never driven a 'premium' car that feels so unsettled on a bumpy road. Actually driven a few very cheap cars (e.g. Suzuki Swift!) that are leagues ahead of the B8.