RS3.....worth the premium over the S3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
640 posts later...

RS3....worth the premium over the S3?

No

Reactions: Wondering Soul
Thing is, I like the A7 too but would I rather have a basic spec A7 or an RS3 Saloon for the same money? It's actually not that easy when you filter out all the cars you'd never actually want to buy.
There's no point someone saying you can buy an AMG CLA 45 or whatever if it doesn't appeal to you. Once you get to your shortlist of cars it's tricky and sometimes a specced up lower model is better for you than anything else.

Reactions: Simon L and Jassyo06
640 posts later...

RS3....worth the premium over the S3?

No

641 posts later.....

And..... one persons sense of worth does not equal another persons :)

But, all joking aside, that M2 is never worth the premium over a regular M235i ...... is it :scared2:

Reactions: 45bvtc
Cars are like clothes.
They're worth much less second hand, the style is loved by some and hated by others and one size doesn't fit all.

Reactions: xBox, 45bvtc, Simon L and 1 other person
But, all joking aside, that M2 is never worth the premium over a regular M235i ...... is it :scared2:

At least, the M division and AMG, do more to the standard car than just put a bigger engine in :p

Reactions: xBox
At least, the M division and AMG, do more to the standard car than just put a bigger engine in :p

at least its a tried and tested method, aussie and USA car companies being doing that for ages, worked pretty well for Carol Shelby....:laughing:

Hey that's not strictly true.

You get the Audi Abs plastic wheel arch enlarger! Ghastly

08740adcafbf78c7dd4ebb77f04f635b.jpg

Reactions: veeeight
I personally think it's all planned as part of the VW Group structure.
If you want more track focus/handling they have Porsche.
If you want Supercar they have Lamborghini.
If you want fast/premium family car they have Audi.
If you want good family car they have VW.
If you want cheaper/basic car they have Skoda.
If you want a bike they have Ducatti.

Who knows what they need the loss-making SEAT for, probably a failed experiment to steal more sales in Central Europe from Peugeot, etc.

If you own all those brands it doesn't make sense to have them stepping on each other's toes.

Reactions: Wondering Soul, PanamaS3 and G-S3
I personally think it's all planned as part of the VW Group structure.
If you want more track focus/handling they have Porsche.
If you want Supercar they have Lamborghini.
If you want fast/premium family car they have Audi.
If you want good family car they have VW.
If you want cheaper/basic car they have Skoda.
If you want a bike they have Ducatti.

How did they end up with the Golf R being set up better than the S3 then :p

Well they're not going to change it are they! It will just be the RS3 as it is in saloon form.

@ #652 That'd do me just nicely - "an RS3 as it is in saloon form." Though I would prefer 'an RS3 as it is' but in a 3-door 2002 S3 hatch form - and I do mean looking like a 2002 S3 and not a Golf R:

An RS3 like this please:

P1010258_zpskrropmjf.jpg

Reactions: RGBARGEE and Jassyo06
@ #652 That'd do me just nicely - "an RS3 as it is in saloon form." Though I would prefer 'an RS3 as it is' but in a 3-door 2002 S3 hatch form...

It has to be said, the 8L S3 was a legendary car, probably because it was ahead of the curve back then, and the competition were playing catch up. Somewhat different to today.

Reactions: batch and 45bvtc
It has to be said, the 8L S3 was a legendary car, probably because it was ahead of the curve back then, and the competition were playing catch up. Somewhat different to today.
It could be argued that they've become complacent and they're letting the badge do most of the work.

Reactions: PanamaS3
At least theres a tacky spolier to hang the towel on.:whistle2:

Nah, couple of flannels tops ;)

At least it's a slimmish boot spoiler not a ****** great monstrosity sat practically on the roof!

But is was jumping out of that and into an RS3 and back that had me shake the piggy bank and no regrets, and I still get to re-evaluate on a regular basis and nooooo way would I go back but for the lady-curve shape...

Reactions: veeeight
Nah, couple of flannels tops ;)

At least it's a slimmish boot spoiler not a ****** great monstrosity sat practically on the roof!

Lol. Since they went to the trouble. I hope its heated. :welcoming:

Reactions: Simon L
Spoiler ? What spoiler ? It an airbrake ;) :D
(Around 1min 40 sec)

Reactions: G-S3, AndyB-S3 and Simon L
See, Audi are getting smart, that airbrake is to compensate for the usual RS brake fade. Who says they don't think of everything?

Reactions: Bristle Hound, veeeight, AndyB-S3 and 1 other person
Spoiler ? What spoiler ? It an airbrake ;) :D
(Around 1min 40 sec)

God help us, I've gone right off it now!

.......looks like something from knight rider :whistle2:

.....as for the Lambo vid that follows that....................holy smokes, now she could sell me a Fiat 127!! lol

Reactions: Bristle Hound
See, Audi are getting smart, that airbrake is to compensate for the usual RS brake fade. Who says they don't think of everything?

Brake Fade??

How do you manage to get that in an RS on normal Public Roads?

I can understand that this maybe noticeable if your doing a Track Day, but if you can Afford to Thrash your Car round a Track & Wear your Tyres out, you can Afford to go for the Optional Ceramic Brakes!!

The ClubSport looks Mega & if the RS3 Saloon looks anything similar to that, it'll be worth the extra money over the conventional A3 8v............the Saloon is a bigger Car at the end of the day!

PS...........KnightRider is Cool!! :)

Reactions: 45bvtc and Simon L
Brake Fade??

How do you manage to get that in an RS on normal Public Roads?

Easily. Brake hard and late for corners, in order to maximise the excellent straight line speed that Audi S & RS cars have ;)

Easily. Brake hard and late for corners, in order to maximise the excellent straight line speed that Audi S & RS cars have ;)

I do wonder if your driving style is a bit lacking with comments like that!

Reactions: RGBARGEE
I do wonder if your driving style is a bit lacking with comments like that!

I don't have a "style", but I do have techniques and tactics, and those techniques and tactics are needed to get cars 'that aren't great at going around corners' fast cross country.

The S and RS cars are not great cars to go around corners in, but are fast point to point cars - thus you have to maximise straight line speed and traction if you want to get a hustle on.

I'm beginning to worry about you again Mr 8...so much time on your hands to blog .. Is it an addiction?

Reactions: 4K
I don't have a "style", but I do have techniques and tactics, and those techniques and tactics are needed to get cars 'that aren't great at going around corners' fast cross country.

The S and RS cars are not great cars to go around corners in, but are fast point to point cars - thus you have to maximise straight line speed and traction if you want to get a hustle on.

From the way you talk, it sounds like your Driving virtually flat-out everytime you get into your Car on a day to day basis!

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy having the Power & like to Blip the Throttle here & there, while listening to the great Exhaust note, but 'S' & 'RS' Branded Cars of this Expense & Status, you really don't or shouldn't need to be Drifting round Roundabouts & Throwing it flat out round corners on Public Roads!
There's a time & a place where you can have abit of fun on normal roads, but I have to say, your Driving sounds Dangerous, putting other peoples lives at risk & you sound abit Immature to be Driving Cars of this Calibre!

You sound like alot of these young lads wearing caps that Drive Fiesta ST's flat out everywhere, like there on Brands Hatch!! :-D

Last edited:
Reactions: 4K
Oh christ, here we go again............. ;)

You don't deliver pizzas for one of those chains that guarantees moneyback if you don't deliver in 30 mins do you V8? ;)

Reactions: PanamaS3, 4K, Rob2k68 and 2 others
Here we go again indeed ;)

Buy a S or RS car, but don't use it to its full potential. :D

We all buy, drive and have different expectations and priorities of our cars.

Reactions: PanamaS3, Simon L, 45bvtc and 2 others

Na, not buying it, you just need to learn how to drive a car properly. :whistle2:

I admire your ability to actually know how I drive or am capable of, through the medium of a forum :D

Quite extraordinary !

Reactions: PanamaS3, 45bvtc, Martinbanshee and 3 others
I am inclined to agree with this! Point to Point is where I have managed to increase the gap when in competition with other similar cars, others have always caught up through the corners!

^ it's also a vital tactic, especially when you are driving a Haldex or AWD car.

You tend to get faster times using a late apex, so that you get a straighter exit line, where you can fully utilise the AWD traction.

But we are going off topic..... Again! :p

Reactions: Wondering Soul

Perhaps Audi are setting the cars up for our American friends and their long straight roads. :fearscream:

With all the RS3 bashing on here, I'm surprised veeeight has any time to actually drive a car lol :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: PanamaS3, 4K, G-S3 and 2 others
With all the veeeight bashing on here, I'm surprised veeeight has any time to actually drive a car lol :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: PanamaS3, Simon L, 45bvtc and 4 others
A collapsible towel rail. These Germans have upped their game.

Not just that but judging by the flex and springboard like vibration of the four bar link hinge it'll shake off any water droplets. Needs some power struts and damping device to make production.

Status
Not open for further replies.