RS3 vs M2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too right Bristol Hound ..... This thread far from a comparison feels like a relentless BMW PR campaign over flowing with every M2 photo on the net lol :)

Reactions: Wango, Rs1, Spaceman_RS3 and 2 others
Too right Bristol Hound ..... This thread far from a comparison feels like a relentless BMW PR campaign over flowing with every M2 photo on the net lol :)

Worrying how easy the M2 ownership proposition is to get behind :)

.... even without the M mirrors :(

There is a similar output and torque RS3 8V graph for comparison?

attachment.php

28823f9d30d0ecbdd34509a54755f6df-jpg.244840

you are comapring old RS3 vs M2.

appart of that detail, look how they want to make a NA feel in these engines.

regards

From BMW Product News (October 2015)

M2 vs RS3
  • The Audi RS 3 Sportback is a four-door hatchback model. And while it features slightly wider front wings as well as front and roof spoilers, its classic compact shape ensures that the range-topper of the A3 model series barely stands out from the other production models. The interior, too, only hints at this car’s more sporting orientation – with details such as an instrument cluster with RS design. Alcantara upholstery and sport bucket seats are optionally available. The BMW M2 Coupé, on the other hand, features comprehensive hallmark M modifications that mark it immediately as a high-performance coupé. While the Audi RS 3 Sportback only comes with a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission, the BMW is also available with a manual six-speed gearbox. The RS 3 has a quattro all-wheel drive system and a sporty suspension tuning enabling a high degree of dynamic ability. Despite its hatchback design, the luggage compartment, at 280 litres, is very small (BMW M2: 390 l). The Audi RS 3 is offered with a good range of optional driver assistance systems and connectivity features. Unlike the BMW M2 Coupé, the Audi requires a customer-owned SIM card to access the internet. Equally unavailable for the Audi: an intelligent emergency call system with a fixed in-car SIM card.

Fancy that.... A BMW product news favouring a BMW.

Reactions: Right&Glory
Fancy that.... A BMW product news favouring a BMW.
Agreed, it's also incorrect..no Alcantara option, which begs the question what else is wrong?...apart from the M2 looks naff, has BMW badges, inferior finish and awful dealers ( round here anyway !)

Mod request - can we get an un-like button?

TX.

Reactions: Rs1, Snake Pliskin, RGBARGEE and 2 others
@asport - You won't get the response your after extolling the virtues (as you see them) of the BMW M2 on an Audi forum I'm afraid

There has been a thread created on Audi-Sport.Net for the BMW M2 which I would encourage you to use
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bmw-m2.255351/

Im not expecting any kind of reply, this is a "X vs Y" thread as you can read in title.
If you don't like remove it and set a new rule: 1. Don't compare RS3 with any other car.

Reactions: CraigI
How do you block a user. You to filter posts I would consider drivel?

I have the resident troll on ignore (not asport), easy to do in the options section.

TX.

Who said that?

Just joking cheers I'll look in options after work

Reactions: RYuill
Im not expecting any kind of reply, this is a "X vs Y" thread as you can read in title.
^ Fair enough with this
If you don't like remove it and set a new rule: 1. Don't compare RS3 with any other car.
But why the attitude with this reply?

If you have any further issues PM me please

As it seems impossible to make a clean and healthy comparison, it's just for giving some fun, do not take it so seriously : D These are just cars.

Well BMW's might just be cars... We love our Audis here.. They all have names, they are washed and fed regularly and as they grow older we either decide to keep them forever or find them a new loving owner... Not the sort of love I've ever seen in a BMW owner.

Reactions: Marshy, Spaceman_RS3 and josedebardi
Can you still buy the indicator pack with BMW's?

Reactions: josedebardi
Well BMW's might just be cars... We love our Audis here.. They all have names, they are washed and fed regularly and as they grow older we either decide to keep them forever or find them a new loving owner... Not the sort of love I've ever seen in a BMW owner.

Looks like brand love instead cars love.

Looks like brand love instead cars love.
In part but not totally, Audi make some good cars but I own other non Audi cars and always look at others including BMW M2 (soul less) and MB A45 (pile of brown stuff). IMHO.

Reactions: Wango
Been a while since I was on here. I have an F13 M6, and an M2 on order. but the other day i drove the RS3, and will now more than likely cancel the M2.

The M2 is not a full M car in my opinion, and it really seems a half a job. Now, as its the entry M, you could say they had to cut corners to keep the cost down, and maybe the same can be said about the RS3. But when comparing the two, the M2 has too many compromises for me at least.

Just need to start a thread about my RS3 thoughts and get your advice!

Reactions: Terminator x and RGBARGEE
Been a while since I was on here. I have an F13 M6, and an M2 on order. but the other day i drove the RS3, and will now more than likely cancel the M2.

The M2 is not a full M car in my opinion, and it really seems a half a job. Now, as its the entry M, you could say they had to cut corners to keep the cost down, and maybe the same can be said about the RS3. But when comparing the two, the M2 has too many compromises for me at least.

Just need to start a thread about my RS3 thoughts and get your advice!

Drive a TTS. For most people it feels much better than RS3 in steering and corner ability.

I think real competitor for M2 (in fun experience) will be TT RS.

Speculation is never the same as experiencing the real thing.. The previous TTRS was fun but never as good as the RS3 in my opinion as an overall package. TT is pretty yes, handles well enough but as a package is cramped and lacks the 'special' feel of the RS3 .

Speculation is never the same as experiencing the real thing.. The previous TTRS was fun but never as good as the RS3 in my opinion as an overall package. TT is pretty yes, handles well enough but as a package is cramped and lacks the 'special' feel of the RS3 .

Yes, then current TTS + current RS3 => new TT RS. I think will be great.
Although that is a car with a functionality too different (space) to be comparable.

TT RS for Geneva in march, 3 months 20 days.
M2 debut will be in Detroit in January, 2 months.

We will have lot of reviews about these cars after debuts.

Early finance figures I've seen for the M2 are rubbish, 5k deposit well over £600 a month over 47 months with a GFV of only £20,000.
People are getting better figures on brand new M4's!!

Drive a TTS. For most people it feels much better than RS3 in steering and corner ability.

I think real competitor for M2 (in fun experience) will be TT RS.

I am not talking about handling, as clearly we can't drive the M2 yet.
Things like lack of individual settings (throttle, steering, gear change intensity) is very poor and standard in full M cars like the M3,M4 and my M6. Then the lack of optional adaptive dampers was another straw - especially when the M235i can have them!
Its also got the same seats as the M235i, but worse of all, you can only have them in black, when the in the M235i you can also choose red or oyster.

In this comparison, I can have individual settings and special seats in the RS3. Its the complete drivng experience that makes these road cars feel special, and that isn't just handling. Well thats my take on it :)

Reactions: RYuill
Yes, personalization is very limited in M2. Probably price related. BMW: "go M4 for more personalization (and more price)".

Is a problem is you don't like standard settings and want to choose other options.

However, I prefer a non very customizable but unique car over a more customizable but standard car.

(1: A3 Sportback 1.2 S-Line) (2: RS3 Sportback)

output_3OOawB.gif

Car photo angle and color is a little different so you can easy notice when image changes.

Good for you buddy, enjoy your M2.
I'm sure everyone here is quite happy with their choice.

I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, it's getting a little boring now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AndyB-S3, 5pot, RGBARGEE and 2 others
Opinions on cars also reflect the type of driving driving done, I have a feeling that once Chris Harris has done a power slide in the M2 and said how balanced it feels everyone will love it, I on the other hand would be annoyed that I've paid over 14k on top of the M235i and haven't got the individuality that the price justifies, but that's because it would be my daily driver and sat in it for a long time would make me think about such things. Someone who's bought it as a weekend toy wont be that bothered I'm sure.
Who wants a bet however that despite having no better tech available, performance available and even less unique points about it over the next model down than the A45 and RS3 it's supposed rivals, the price of the M2 will never come into question like it does constantly in reviews with the merc and Audi.
We have a thread of is the RS3 worth the premium over the S3, well is the M2 worth the premium over the RS3 when the figures and performance don't seem any better?

You can buy the diff, and upgraded brakes as optional extras from BMW's M performance catalogue, the M2 doesn't get adaptive dampers it's fixed suspension the M235i gets adaptive dampers, the DCT gearbox isn't much better than the fantastic ZF and in the M2 you can't have an individual gearbox setting mode like you can on every other DCT equipped car

You can buy the diff, and upgraded brakes as optional extras from BMW's M performance catalogue, the M2 doesn't get adaptive dampers it's fixed suspension the M235i gets adaptive dampers, the DCT gearbox isn't much better than the fantastic ZF and in the M2 you can't have an individual gearbox setting mode like you can on every other DCT equipped car

The M2 doesn't have the individual three intensity setting switch just below the DCT stick like the other Ms (and even the e9x 335i).. Simply in Sport mode its switched from comfort/sport (so two modes only, and not adjustable individually).

Why does it say ex-rs3, new m2 under your avatar when you have never owned an rs3 and don't have an m2 yet?

If anyone mistakes my RS3 for a 1.2 S Line (as GIF above) they need glasses!

TX.

Reactions: Ozmosis, RYuill and RGBARGEE
i like my bms ive had 3 m3s and the M2 isnt an m car by first impressions not a fan. itll probably look better in flesh but still disappointing.

Why does it say ex-rs3, new m2 under your avatar when you have never owned an rs3 and don't have an m2 yet?

You are right :D, EX and NEW just on my head and dreams.

First, S3 test (one week), then RS3 (one afternoon), both really great, but was missing something, I'm looking for something more driving fun and exciting. M2, not tested but ORDERED! I can fail but I'll take the risk.

You are right about no adaptive suspension, it was an error in some documents. It's fixed in sport mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.