RS3 / Mag Ride

dts439

Reaction score
Had an RS3 yesterday for a few hours yesterday thanks to my local dealer.

Car did not have many options but did have magnetic ride. This was interesting to me in that this was the one major option I ended up removing from my original list for my own Sportback having been unable to test drive a car with it on.

To cut a long story short I was impressed by mag ride, less so by the RS3. In Comfort mode its noticeably softer than my S line suspension and in Dynamic it was only slightly harder. So next time I'll tick the option if its available.

RS3 itself was a bit of an enigma. Great Super Sport seats, great noise on startup and when going for it, but perhaps still too quiet (in the cabin) even then. My wife heard me pulling up outside the house so its obviously loud enough on the outside. I think I'd have preferred it as a manual is at the bottom of this.

Reactions: Simon L, Forbzeeee and Jassyo06
Just keep the windows down and remove the sound deadening from under the bonnet? :grimacing:

Just keep the windows down and remove the sound deadening from under the bonnet? :grimacing:
Windows down was much better, at least at slow speed. Its great that Audi have kept the 5 cylinder engine going anyway.

In a previous decade I had an RS2, and that was perhaps similarly too quiet for its own good.

I tried a RS3 last week, with lots of options incl dynamic pack. I agree with your assessment of mag ride and wish I had kept the option on my S3 (wanted it but it was the first option to go when I was trying to keep the price sensible).

Will defo have it if I get another S3 or an RS3.

Reactions: Forbzeeee
But we shouldnt need to option the £995 Magnetic Dampers on a 297/363 bhp car's for it to handle better,lts my first Audi,never heard of this Mag Ride, till l joined this Forum,and very few hatchback owners have Magride, 3 members come to mind,my son didnt even suggest it when l was buying the car, as most salesman/customers/buyers dont have the background info on the standard suspension's performance,but we all learn dont we.

Reactions: Simon L, steeve and veeeight
Hmmm well Audi are all over the place with options. S3 saloon has it, TTS has it, RS3 doesn't - shocking really. Like so many other options this one should be standard all S / RS cars.

Reactions: Simon L, Terminator x, Martinbanshee and 2 others
Guys
I want to test out mag ride on a RS3; the one I've driven didn't have it. Can I ask where are those demo RS3s with mag ride situated?

Thanks
NQW

Sorry buddy can't help you, it was at a Audi Sport Showcase event.

Yep should 100% be standard on the RS3 - after all they've chucked LED headlamps at it where's the sense in that ?

Reactions: Simon L
I like the Mag Ride. I have it on my car and i tend to switch between comfort and dynamic dependent upon road surface and driving mood. Most of the time i am in comfort mode. I am surprised more people do not have it, however at close to a £1000 in the UK as an option I can understand people ticking other boxes to get that bang for buck.

Reactions: EddieRS3 and Ricky RS
I like the comment, that you shouldnt need mag ride to make a car handle.......................

Reactions: Wondering Soul and veeeight
Yep should 100% be standard on the RS3 - after all they've chucked LED headlamps at it where's the sense in that ?

And they have now even chucked in nav!

You are right there are slot of extras that should be on the car.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I test drove an S3 with and without. Much preferred the car that had mag ride, which is why I spec'd it on my S3 hatch.

Agree that you shouldn't have to though!

Reactions: Simon L, Rob2k68 and Ricky RS
Nah, come on, even Porsche have only just made PASM standard on the 991.2.

On a premium hatch, let's get real!!

Reactions: Jassyo06, DAYTONA 500 and Ricky RS
The point is, on the Porsche without, it's still a decent handling car. PASM just gives you options.

On the S3/RS3, the handling (damping) without mag-ride is awful if you are driving at speed along an undulating road, which, for a premium hatch, is unforgivable.

Even with mag ride, it still doesn't match a well set up car with standard suspension (eg Fiesta ST).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68, Wondering Soul and Jassyo06
Well if ye didnt know already?i will say it again...i test drove the RS3 today LOL....indeed the magride does help considerably...still that slight bit of bounce but far more stable than a S3 without,never driven a S3 with it on though...so i can only assume it has the same effect on the stabilty/recoil

As for the RS3 Being pretty quiet inside the car? optional sports exhaust soon sorts that out

Reactions: Wondering Soul
The point is, on the Porsche without, it's still a decent handling car. PASM just gives you options.

On the S3/RS3, the handling (damping) without mag-ride is awful if you are driving at speed along an undulating road, which, for a premium hatch, is unforgivable.

Even with mag ride, it still doesn't match a well set up car with standard suspension (eg Fiesta ST).

giphy.gif
i

Reactions: paulk and T-800
Hmmm well Audi are all over the place with options. S3 saloon has it, TTS has it, RS3 doesn't - shocking really. Like so many other options this one should be standard all S / RS cars.
Saloon has it standard as Audi feel it needs help in this area

I test drove an Rs3 for a couple of days and it had mag ride, as opposed to my S3 not having it. I have ordered the Rs3 now and I have specced mag ride, not for the handling, but for the softer ride when I want it in comfort mode. Makes such a big difference!

Reactions: Terminator x and Rob2k68
I test drove an Rs3 for a couple of days and it had mag ride, as opposed to my S3 not having it. I have ordered the Rs3 now and I have specced mag ride, not for the handling, but for the softer ride when I want it in comfort mode. Makes such a big difference!

ln comparison to the standard set up on a S3 l thought the RS3 with Magride...in comfort mode very firm,in dynamic mode very hard...l didnt mind this...as l do like to ride hard...lol..no all kidding aside...its a very firm set up indeed

Reactions: Rob2k68

Is it that bad?

Damn, Audi marketing must be good to sell enough units to warrant any user forums.

Maybe should rename it Audi-sport-but-only-with-mag-ride.net ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06
Well funny :)

Yip Mr D...500 does have his moments:sunglasses::tonguewink:...its all good clean Banter....Boring Car Forum's aint that great to visit unless you have a problem with your car....and want advice....I dont know much about Audi car's in General,but the Mods on here do...A good mix of members make good a Forum...that includes FANBOY's...Funny guys and the most knowledgeable Sith Lord...Darth Veeeight....lol

Reactions: DAYTONA 500, Rob2k68, Simon L and 1 other person
veeeight is in a very dark place
Pcp up to his neck in a car he hates and regrets buying , we have all been there just cut him some slack

veeeight is in a very dark place
Pcp up to his neck in a car he hates and regrets buying , we have all been there just cut him some slack
My reference to veeeight wasn't meant in a negative/derogatory way!more in a complimentary way.

Reactions: veeeight